Stereo / Radio & Antenna question - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stereo / Radio & Antenna question

Old 10-22-05, 09:36 AM   #1
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Default Stereo / Radio & Antenna question

A Stereo & Antenna question…

My LS400 –95 Model has the original stereo .. ever since I got this car last year the LCD in the Stereo is not always working .. at times, I found if the outside temperature was just right it would come on but mostly stay off… But now, since last weekend, I heard it now twice a strange noise wile listening to my CD… at first I thought it was the CD… but not sure.. last night a different CD had that indication… that nose is tuff to describe, brrrrrrr type of sound out of the speakers (no, I am not listening to very loud music) very spotted than goes away….. Yet to make thinks spooky, wile waiting for someone in the car, I turned on the Radio (seldom I listening to Radio) .. of cause the antenna comes out …. By changing the channel from 1 to 2, I can see the antenna retract ~ 2 inches… changing it back the antenna comes back out…..

So, any thoughts on:
LCD fix (My guess the bulb is not bad ..perhaps a loose connection
The sound does concern me and the antenna as well

Thanks Frank
afcsdbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 11:31 AM   #2
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Luxury_LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 12:07 PM   #3
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcsdbt
A Stereo & Antenna question…

My LS400 –95 Model has the original stereo .. ever since I got this car last year the LCD in the Stereo is not always working .. at times, I found if the outside temperature was just right it would come on but mostly stay off… But now, since last weekend, I heard it now twice a strange noise wile listening to my CD… at first I thought it was the CD… but not sure.. last night a different CD had that indication… that nose is tuff to describe, brrrrrrr type of sound out of the speakers (no, I am not listening to very loud music) very spotted than goes away….. Yet to make thinks spooky, wile waiting for someone in the car, I turned on the Radio (seldom I listening to Radio) .. of cause the antenna comes out …. By changing the channel from 1 to 2, I can see the antenna retract ~ 2 inches… changing it back the antenna comes back out…..

So, any thoughts on:
LCD fix (My guess the bulb is not bad ..perhaps a loose connection
The sound does concern me and the antenna as well

Thanks Frank
LCD can be changed for 189.99 on eBay.
The Radio Automatically adjusts antenna level according to the strength of the sign.
GRAND_LS 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 07:22 PM   #4
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

… after I spend about 2 hours on this side out figured out what the cluster issue is about… no, I am a mechanical engineer not a sparkey…..an I seem not to have that issue yet…

Anyway, thanks for the replay… still no answer on the strange sound I had heard?????!!!

Regarding the antenna; well… am not sure I’ve ever heard such thing before adjusting for the signal… thought this be a simple system antenna IN or OUT……

So what should I do about the LCD lights in the Radio ? They do work just not when I would like it.

Thanks
afcsdbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 09:13 PM   #5
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcsdbt
… after I spend about 2 hours on this side out figured out what the cluster issue is about… no, I am a mechanical engineer not a sparkey…..an I seem not to have that issue yet…

Anyway, thanks for the replay… still no answer on the strange sound I had heard?????!!!

Regarding the antenna; well… am not sure I’ve ever heard such thing before adjusting for the signal… thought this be a simple system antenna IN or OUT……

So what should I do about the LCD lights in the Radio ? They do work just not when I would like it.

Thanks

We need more info on that sound, because I dont know what you were refering to. And yes, Your driving a Lexus, its not just IN and OUT

LCD, well, you can buy one, and solder it yourself and save some money. Are you talking about the green light? or the Actual numbers not showing up? If its the numbers, then you need to change the LCD, but if its only the green light, then its a simple job.
Old 10-22-05, 09:17 PM   #6
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Wait, that spotty noise could be the cell phone signal, know what im talking about? Phones do that when reciving a message, call, or swithching between towers. Sounds like what you just discribed, and if it is, then its nothing to worry about.