LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wrecked my '99 LS today

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 02:18 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked my '99 LS today

I was driving on a two-lane road going with the flow of traffic when this Jeep in front of me stopped short. I slammed on my brakes, but it seemed it was inevitable for me to hit this lady in the rear. So i reacted quickly, and tried to avoid hitting her by swirving into the left lane (bad idea). I ended up side swiping another Lexus (an RX330) and destroyed the whole front left corner panel, including the headlights. The RX that i hit was fine, hardly any damage at all. But my LS is wrecked. I can't even open the drivers side door, and my left tire is rubbing up against the wheel well which seems to have dropped from the hit.

Here's my disappointment:

why is it that my ABS system did not kick in and avoid this collision?

and 2, why is it that my LS crumbled like tin foil from a not so hard impact?

Old 09-23-05, 02:28 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear it man....but glad to hear that you are alright. You managed to walk away from the accident, so I would say the car did what it was designed to do.
Old 09-23-05, 02:45 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ABS is designed to keep the brakes from locking and therefore skidding into the whatever is in front of you. If you slammed on the brakes and there was no slippage the ABS system would not activate. ABS system will pulse the brakes and you will feel it. Maybe you should've swerved the other way, at least your safe.
Old 09-23-05, 04:39 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

the abs is not really going to help you that mch at so close a distance other then to lessen the impact. consider yourself lucky.the abs is designed to prevent your wheels from locking up so the car wont skid and make you lose control of the car. it pumps the brakes to the point of lock and then releases them and repeats this procedure to slow the car down
Old 09-23-05, 05:45 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

So, i went to a collision place before and I was told everything is, in fact, fixable. I know LS's are definately safe cars, as i was in another accident just 4 months ago in my previous LS (which was totalled). Same situation as before, except my former LS was totaled, both airbags were deployed, and the engine was destroyed. But i walked away scratch-free.

Again, my only disappointment was in the braking system of this car. Both times i feel it let me down a little bit. I wasn't tailgating in either situation, and both situations turned out worse than one would anticipate as far as damage is concerned. I know "brake assist" was added to the LS in 2000. I wonder if having that on my '99 would have helped in this situation
Old 09-23-05, 08:37 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake assist is what we all need. By nature, people dont slam the brakes hard enough in an emergency, thats why they added the brake assist feature. Works wonders, I always wished my '98 had it. You might think you slammed it, but in most cases, people dont slam hard enough, and I didnt believe at first, but its true.

I never knew what i was missing till i avioded an accident in NYC in my friends '04 E500.
Old 09-23-05, 08:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad you are okay, walking away is

Did you have airbag deployment this time?
Old 09-23-05, 11:09 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Glad you are okay, walking away is

Did you have airbag deployment this time?

Not this time. The impact wasn't really that hard. According to the guy at the collision place, I hit into her in a good spot though. Avoiding the rear impact was definately the better way to go. So although it looks bad right now, it's easily fixable he says.

My last accident in my previous LS was very bad. Hit her full impact in the rear at about 60mph. Walked away scratch free both times. Very safe cars.
Old 09-25-05, 12:15 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LS's are built like a tank for light to heavy impacts.
On my way to Lex fest i crossed over a light and stopped in traffic behind a FED EX 18 wheeler in the middle of some little town.Well the driver decides to back his truck up in the middle of the road to turn into the drivway he overshot.
He can;t see me and i have no where to go as i hear the BEEP BEEP BEEP.I tried to get it into reverse and slowly move back as right behind me was the intersection with moving traffic.
Well the damn electronic system is not directly connected to the tranny so it takes its time to get into gear.
Well the 18 wheel backed into me twice causeing me to jolt backwards twice. The whole time i had my hand planted on the horn and off the brake incase he hit me it would roll.
Luckly i was not braking so the impact just jolted us and cause no real damage other than damaging teh bumper with scratches but no other real damage.
I still need to fix the R headlight tab as one broke and replace the chrome strip. I didn;t get it fixed yet as i am going to get my body kit put on over winter.
Oh well ,my wife and i were damn impressed to see nothing happened to the car considering an 18 wheeler hit us.
I love my LS
Old 09-25-05, 01:58 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
LS's are built like a tank for light to heavy impacts.
On my way to Lex fest i crossed over a light and stopped in traffic behind a FED EX 18 wheeler in the middle of some little town.Well the driver decides to back his truck up in the middle of the road to turn into the drivway he overshot.
He can;t see me and i have no where to go as i hear the BEEP BEEP BEEP.I tried to get it into reverse and slowly move back as right behind me was the intersection with moving traffic.
Well the damn electronic system is not directly connected to the tranny so it takes its time to get into gear.
Well the 18 wheel backed into me twice causeing me to jolt backwards twice. The whole time i had my hand planted on the horn and off the brake incase he hit me it would roll.
Luckly i was not braking so the impact just jolted us and cause no real damage other than damaging teh bumper with scratches but no other real damage.
I still need to fix the R headlight tab as one broke and replace the chrome strip. I didn;t get it fixed yet as i am going to get my body kit put on over winter.
Oh well ,my wife and i were damn impressed to see nothing happened to the car considering an 18 wheeler hit us.
I love my LS
I hope FEDEX is claiming responsiblity.
Old 09-25-05, 08:36 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The driver settled with me on the spot and promised to make it right if it cost more.