LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

is ls430 quieter than a 98 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 10:01 AM
taoh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face is ls430 quieter than a 98 ls400

does anyone ever comare a ls430 to a 98~2000 ls400 regarding to noise issue.
which one is quieter?
the ls430 have laminate class option for all side door, it is two layer of class glued together,
like the old MB S-class, will this laminate class make a difference for wind noise?

thanks for any comment

tao
Old 09-15-05, 10:47 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Yes. Though in real world, a db here or there isn't obvious. I felt that the later 430's I drove were quieter than the UCF 2's I'd been in. The 98+ were a touch quieter than mine and the 430 a wee bit more.

As far as wind noise, I can't say I've detected it on any LS. Not from the side mirros, trim or windsheild wipers under typical driving. The air turbulence I have heard would be under conditions of a strong side wind.
Old 09-15-05, 11:27 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to CL.

Yes. Though in real world, a db here or there isn't obvious. I felt that the later 430's I drove were quieter than the UCF 2's I'd been in. The 98+ were a touch quieter than mine and the 430 a wee bit more.

As far as wind noise, I can't say I've detected it on any LS. Not from the side mirros, trim or windsheild wipers under typical driving. The air turbulence I have heard would be under conditions of a strong side wind.
I have an '04 LS430 and I have disgusting wind noise on the passenger side at speeds above 60 MPH. Dealer says"They all do it" (Horse Crap)

Last edited by lkirchner; 09-15-05 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-15-05, 02:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That sales guy who told you that

On this vintage, I'm confident the weather seal is in good condition. My guess is that there was work done and one possibility is the glass is not seating properly/fully against the weather seal so it's causing noise. If they have the glass stop adjusted a tick off, it can make the difference. Does the door panel line-up and is flush with the surrounding body panels? Perhaps the striker is off just a bit...

Some cars it's easier to check...cut a strip of 24-28# paper about 1" wide and place this strip at the suspected area and close the window. In a shoeshine type action or a simple pull from either side see if the paper is easily moved. Repeat along the area. This also works for the door seal too. If some areas display less resistence, this would be worth a closer inspection.

Hope you can find it...I know how irritating this is.
Old 09-15-05, 03:01 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

On this vintage, I'm confident the weather seal is in good condition. My guess is that there was work done and one possibility is the glass is not seating properly/fully against the weather seal so it's causing noise. If they have the glass stop adjusted a tick off, it can make the difference. Does the door panel line-up and is flush with the surrounding body panels? Perhaps the striker is off just a bit...

Some cars it's easier to check...cut a strip of 24-28# paper about 1" wide and place this strip at the suspected area and close the window. In a shoeshine type action or a simple pull from either side see if the paper is easily moved. Repeat along the area. This also works for the door seal too. If some areas display less resistence, this would be worth a closer inspection.

No the service manager told me that. One thing of which I am certain-----he will not be leaving the dealership to get his degree in either brain surgery or nuclear physics. Thanks for the tip and I will give it a try but the problem is and will be the dealer and the service operation. They really don't give a rat's behind. I am probably going to end up trading the car in the spring. I had an '04 SC430 that again due to the service department's ineptitude that I traded with 1,750 miles on it and have never looked back. This dealer has it's own motto "The Passioante Pursuit of Imperfection"
Old 09-15-05, 03:41 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

No the service manager told me that. One thing of which I am certain-----he will not be leaving the dealership to get his degree in either brain surgery or nuclear physics. Thanks for the tip and I will give it a try but the problem is and will be the dealer and the service operation. They really don't give a rat's behind. I am probably going to end up trading the car in the spring. I had an '04 SC430 that again due to the service department's ineptitude that I traded with 1,750 miles on it and have never looked back. This dealer has it's own motto "The Passionate Pursuit of Imperfection"

Last edited by lkirchner; 09-15-05 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-15-05, 04:03 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Although the 98 Is quiet I know from experience that the LS430 is like riding in a tomb. It is very quiet. Have you driven an LS430 yet taoh2??
Old 09-15-05, 04:06 PM
taoh2
Driver School Candidate

no, I never ride ls430.
Old 09-15-05, 05:32 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ridden in a 2003 LS430 ( when it was a few months old), my 95 LS and my 92 LS. GD it, believe it or not, my 92 is, by far, the most silent of the bunch. I simply don't understand it. Road noise, wind noise, engine noise, all of it. My 92 is the most silent LS.
Old 09-15-05, 06:27 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

LS430 is quieter, due to many reasons, mainly being newer and more aero dynamic. Second, the UL package on the LS430 provides you with laminated glass that makes the cabin quieter, along with air suspension, which will lower the car at high speeds for less wind resistance.
Old 09-15-05, 11:09 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 430 mirrors are larger than the older LS400 mirrors.
So they will give you more wind noise by nature.I find it impossible to belive any older LS 400 is quieter than a newer 430 it has too many advances to not be as technology has evolved and added.

BTW if anyone is interested the heated and dimming mirrors are a 2 peice glass that have a lcd plastic layer sandwiched between the mirror glass. I tired to use a 430 mirror to replace my passanger side and it was too big .I was going to file teh edges down but then realized it was a sandwich of glass.
Anyway if you break one it is around $400 for just the glass ,about 700 for the whole assembly.So protect them at all costs.
Old 09-16-05, 09:26 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have an '04 LS430 and I have disgusting wind noise on the passenger side at speeds above 60 MPH. Dealer says"They all do it" (Horse Crap)
Simple, walk over to the used car lot, take another 430 for a spin, confirm the noise or lack thereof, assuming no noise go to the GM and lay out your case. The service Mgr will do what the GM tells him to. You should also contact Lexus directly, they will definitely have interest in a dealership not representing the product properly.
Old 09-16-05, 09:28 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbrady
Simple, walk over to the used car lot, take another 430 for a spin, confirm the noise or lack thereof, assuming no noise go to the GM and lay out your case. The service Mgr will do what the GM tells him to. You should also contact Lexus directly, they will definitely have interest in a dealership not representing the product properly.
Thanks for the advice but I am tired of dealing with these morons. Next step trade it in the Spring.
Old 09-17-05, 10:52 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default is ls430 quieter than a 98 ls400

i have made my 98 LS more quiet by using dynamat extreme (sound deadner) inside the entire car. i took apart my door panels and installed it inside both layers of each door. i pulled out the seats (front and rear) and installed it on the floor and over every piece of metal that i could reach. the LS is already a quiet vehicle but the dynamat made it even more quiet. my purpose for doing this was related to my aftermarket stereo installation. however, i believe anyone would benefit from using any good quality sound deadning material in the vehicle.
Old 09-17-05, 12:39 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaalib3
i have made my 98 LS more quiet by using dynamat extreme (sound deadner) inside the entire car. i took apart my door panels and installed it inside both layers of each door. i pulled out the seats (front and rear) and installed it on the floor and over every piece of metal that i could reach. the LS is already a quiet vehicle but the dynamat made it even more quiet. my purpose for doing this was related to my aftermarket stereo installation. however, i believe anyone would benefit from using any good quality sound deadning material in the vehicle.
Where in florida btw? I'm in Tampa, its nice to see another 98LS owner

Quick Reply: is ls430 quieter than a 98 ls400