LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Nos

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 09:48 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nos

Anybody on here running NOS on the LS400? If so do i have to worry about puddling on a wet kit on the 1uz?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-08-05, 10:20 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted to know if anyone has NOS in their LS. I have a 2000 and I like power but I know NOS isn't good for the engine and I don't want to mess with my reliability. If someone could convince me that it won't do damage to my motor I might try going with NOS .
Probably something like a 50 shot nothing too agressive.
Old 09-09-05, 11:43 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you would have no problems putting on a 50 shot. Nitrous can be safe if you are knowledgeable about it. It's the people that run too big of a shot and run lean that blow their engines up. I have used nitrous in several of my cars. All dry kits. I used a 75 shot on my 2000 Civic SI, a 100 shot on my 1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, and now a 150 shot on my 1999 Trans am. All of them had stock engines and I never had problems. You have to take in consideration how much power a stock bottom-end will handle and make sure your fuel system will be able to keep up. I know the V8 lexus engines are very very strong. Nitrous is not as bad as people say. I will never put a kit on my Lexus because that's what I have the Trans am for.
Old 09-09-05, 02:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The super charger kit offered by LMS is adaptable to this car as per my discussions with Steve.
You might contact Todd at TM Engineering. He's built and raced the 1UZ and is familiar with tuning it.

As for the engine, it's well built. You will have to coinsder how will the rest of the car be after you begin driving it much harder. Tranny, rear end, suspension, brakes...the whole package. As they say...you'l be buring the candle at both ends so don't expect long term Toyota reliability when doing this.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 09-10-05, 10:44 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the power of mine very well, but NOS eat's the engine alive, and basically putting anything on your engine would lower the reliability. That's what we call "Ragging out" and I know alot of people who do that to brand new cars and those cars are already giving them trouble. Like everyone else said, don't think by adding NOS that you reliablity will stay the same.
Old 09-10-05, 08:13 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation Nitrous purge...

I've had an idea for a while now but wanted to ask all of you guru's on here how I could go about pursuing my endeavor....

I will be purchasing this kit and rims:

I was thinking of adding nitrous but not for racing since I'm making my LS aggressive yet still keeping it classy (as you can see from the pic). I wanted to add nitrous to my LS so I could use nitrous purge just for show. I would like a big cloud of nitrous shoot out from both of my front driver and passenger side wheel wells...sorry to bring this up and I know it's cheesy...but like how the Skyline did in the 2nd FATF movie.

I really think it would be nice just for show. If anyone has any ideas on how I could go about doing this and what I would have to do just to use nitrous purge I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.

Last edited by Celsior2K5; 09-10-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 09:43 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
I always wanted to know if anyone has NOS in their LS. I have a 2000 and I like power but I know NOS isn't good for the engine and I don't want to mess with my reliability. If someone could convince me that it won't do damage to my motor I might try going with NOS .
Probably something like a 50 shot nothing too agressive.
lol at nos

its no2 not nos

nos is a product that utilizes no2. there are others like nitrus express

imo no2 is better than throwing on intake system exhaust and headers. why u might ask

because u can turn it on and off.

if ur thinkin on gettin a 50 shot dont go with nos get nitrus express their jets are are 50 shot jets. and if u get that kit. make sure u have something to up ur fuel pressure when u do use it.

no2 doesnt destory the car its the user
Old 09-10-05, 09:53 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

There is no cheaper, or easier way to add power than n2o.

n2o has a bad stigma because f'ing idiots tear stuff up with it, and everyone else winds up mis-informed.

Like any other form of power... If you don't supply enough fuel, you're going to melt a hole in a piston, and/or a ring. This is why you run a wet kit through a 75 shot.

If you run more than a 75 wet shot, you need to find another way to add more fuel. Be it a piggyback & larger injectors, adding a piggyback & extra injectors, or adding solenoid injectors that simply turn on with the n2o (think big cold start injector, or an extra n2o fogger). Most wet shots over 75 don't supply enough fuel.

If you exceed what your fuel pump can pump, it needs to be upgraded... <smack> duh.

The other major thing is don't use it at a low rpm. n2o doesn't ease into power like a turbo, it's off-on and you've got all the power. It's is one hell of a shock to a drivetrain at a low rpm. That is why you would normally wire a full throttle switch, along with an arming switch. Problem solved.

Only n2o can you buy a wet kit for $450-500 on ebay, install it in a couple hours & have as much power on tap as you can stand.
Old 09-11-05, 04:27 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have alot more important things to do to my car before I worry about power, but this is a good thread.
Old 09-11-05, 06:24 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

I like how this thread is sparking more interest, but like my first post states, does anybody know if nitrous would puddle in the intake through a wet kit? If any of you know ANYBODY that is running a wet kit on a 1uz please ask them if they were ever concerned about puddling.
Old 09-12-05, 11:57 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation Nitrous purge...

Does anyone have anymore input on how to go about installing nitrous purge on a 1st Gen LS? Would it be easy? I would like to do this just for show.
Old 09-12-05, 12:10 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Buy a nitrous bottle, and feed line to carry it in. Next get a Y type of adaptor. run more line from Y to each wheel well. Buy two purge systems off ebay or something, your not going to performance, but more for look, i assume they all purge the same way. Run the purge systems to the same switch and vuala!

Just do some reading man, this isnt that hard of a project.

parts: nitrous bottle, you only need a very small one.
Feed line from trunk (i assume thats where youll keep the bottle) to engine bay
Y adaptor to split line
2 lines to run from Y adaptor to both wheel wells
2 purge systems

Now if only i could get an answer to my question....
Old 09-13-05, 10:14 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by xirforever
Buy a nitrous bottle, and feed line to carry it in. Next get a Y type of adaptor. run more line from Y to each wheel well. Buy two purge systems off ebay or something, your not going to performance, but more for look, i assume they all purge the same way. Run the purge systems to the same switch and vuala!

Just do some reading man, this isnt that hard of a project.

parts: nitrous bottle, you only need a very small one.
Feed line from trunk (i assume thats where youll keep the bottle) to engine bay
Y adaptor to split line
2 lines to run from Y adaptor to both wheel wells
2 purge systems

Now if only i could get an answer to my question....
But getting a line from a nitrous bottle in an LS trunk to the engine/wheel wells would be a hell of a job, right? Is there any room to do it? What do I have to take apart? The LS is so complex and so much crap in the way of everything.
Old 09-14-05, 09:29 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

it wouldnt be that hard.... just follow the fuel lines to the engine bay. if your not confident enough to do it yourself any mechanic should be able to do it without any problems.
Old 09-14-05, 09:39 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

No, no, no. Nitrous purging "just for show" is not cool at all. If you are going to actually have a bottle of nitrous in your trunk and go through the trouble of making it purge through your wheelwells to be cool(?!?), then just make it a functional system and add a few Hp (or lots) to your car as well.... Why not paste an empty Supercharger case on your hood? - That would be just as goofy. Don't fake it man, do it for real. The only thing worse than giant pointless wings are phony performance mods.

Quick Reply: Nos