ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Car clunks on start (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/176380-car-clunks-on-start.html)

red_hulk 08-26-05 08:06 AM

Car clunks on start

I have kind of a strange problem. Everything once in a while when I start my car something clunks. The car just does it when the car initially starts, after that, no noise at all. It has happened ever since I had my timing belt replaced. A mechanic said it could be a fouled plug, so I replaced them and it still does it. :uh: I think it could be the starter, but I am really not sure. Any ideas what it could be?

93LS 08-26-05 01:25 PM

I think it is astarter too..... did you ever overstarted(I don't know what to call it but when you crank the key do it little too much or try starting it when it is already started ) this happens.

Originally Posted by red_hulk
I have kind of a strange problem. Everything once in a while when I start my car something clunks. The car just does it when the car initially starts, after that, no noise at all. It has happened ever since I had my timing belt replaced. A mechanic said it could be a fouled plug, so I replaced them and it still does it. :uh: I think it could be the starter, but I am really not sure. Any ideas what it could be?

red_hulk 08-26-05 02:33 PM

Yea...I think I know what you mean. I really haven't overstarted it, but I guess i'm going to have to take a look at the starter and see what's going on.
Thanks, :cool:

Mhoad35 11-01-05 07:11 AM

clunks when started

Hey there,

My 93 LS does the same thing, clunks only when started. It usually happens about every 5th or 6th start. Some of you have mentioned a bad starter? I too just had my water pump/timing belt done.. I wonder if there is a connection? Maybe a tooth off :uh: on the cam? Any and all ideas would be helpfull.. Thanks

The Hoad :uh:

j three 11-01-05 05:55 PM

I'm not shure but something is telling me it may be your motor mounts. Just throwing a guess out there. I also heard that there is sometimes a clunk on startup due to the trac control setting itself.

Mhoad35 11-02-05 04:50 PM

clunk on start

You know, I have thought the same thing, (motor mounts) do you know if that is a normal occurance when the mounts go?

Thanks,

Hoad

Rice 11-07-05 07:01 AM

I've had the same thing on my 97. It suddenly appeared w/o any reason and went away just like that. I did change my timing belt and water pump, but not sure about the correlation, since I don't remember when exactly the noise went away. Any way, I have not heard this noise in about a year. I think it is possible that the clunk has something to do with timing, although I can not imagine what. If a tooth was misaligned, meaning that the timing was off, the motor would run rough and have much less power :uh:

Celsior2K5 11-07-05 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by red_hulk

I have a 1991 LS and my car clunks when I start it up in the morning too but it's not because of my motor mounts because they're all new.

Something might be going on inside the engine. I've done some research on "engine knocks"...you should look into it.