LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I changed my oil today and..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 06:16 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down So I changed my oil today and..

Well, it was a nice Saturday afternoon (actually it wasn’t, it was 95F outside with 90% humidity ) and I had called the dealer yesterday and today, but they couldn’t squeeze me in, so I decided to do it myself.

Went out, bought 6qts of Mobil 1 10-30, and a Mobil filter. Never really thought about doing it myself, because of the oil filter's location on my pervious cars. So I got under the car, and pull out the plastic cover, and the oil filter was right there, VERY accessible.

Now, here is the part that REALLY pissed me off. I have always taken my LS to the dealer for oil changes (I provide the Mobil 1, and they provide the service and TOYOTA OEM filter). I have asked them more then once if they used OEM, and they repeatedly said YES. To my surprise, I had a Quaker State oil filter

I wouldn’t use that brand if they paid me too. However, the question remains, why is my dealer doing this? do you think it was just ignorance on their part or deception? Thinking that I would not ever find out. I’m very irritated because I rely on Toyota filters, leaving my oil for 6500 miles at least, so it really came as a shock when they use cheap brands to save money. Had I known, I would have bought a Mobil filter from day one, but they repeatedly told me/advertised the use of OEM parts only in their dealership

I dont really trust them anymore
Old 06-25-05, 06:23 PM
LEXkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that definitely sucks since you were basically paying for the Oem Assurance!!

I would talk to the service manager see if you can get a credit, or think about taking your money elsewhere next repair.

Just curious - where is the oil filter exactly? I'm doing my first change fairly soon.
Old 06-25-05, 07:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXkid
that definitely sucks since you were basically paying for the Oem Assurance!!

I would talk to the service manager see if you can get a credit, or think about taking your money elsewhere next repair.

Just curious - where is the oil filter exactly? I'm doing my first change fairly soon.
Man that's not cool at all, I hope my dealer isn't doing that!!
Old 06-25-05, 07:13 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's so wrong.

This bring up another question... How do you know that the tech didn't put your Mobil 1 in his trunk and put "their" oil instead.
Old 06-25-05, 08:08 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quaker State that's weak- I'd be complaining.
the dealer just changed mine, now you're making me wan't to go check under my hood...
Old 06-25-05, 08:12 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks man, hopefully you still have the service records so
you can go back to the dealer and show them.

An oil change is something everybody should be able to do
in thier own garage.
Old 06-25-05, 08:51 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Save the filter and check your last oil change repair statement. It should indicate which filter was used by part #. The dealer may feel that this is a suitable replacement if the OEM is not in stock. Talk with the service writer or service manager about this and let us know what becomes.
Old 06-25-05, 10:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quaker State that's weak- I'd be complaining.
the dealer just changed mine, now you're making me wan't to go check under my hood...
Yeah man, seeing that filter was like being struck by lightening. I bet that filter is no more then $2.99 .

Save the filter and check your last oil change repair statement. It should indicate which filter was used by part #. The dealer may feel that this is a suitable replacement if the OEM is not in stock. Talk with the service writer or service manager about this and let us know what becomes.
That’s exactly what I did. I checked my last two oil invoices. The first one had a Toyota part number, but this last one had “111” as the part number for the filter!!! I should have known, but I thought the service writer knew what he was talking about, but I should have known better then to think that.

I’m going to write a letter to the service manager, because I made it VERY clear that I was very serious about what goes in my car, I even brought my own synthetic fluid since they didn’t carry them. I don’t spare a dime when it comes to lubricants, I always buy the best. So I feel very betrayed when they use a $2 dollar filter. They should have informed me they ran out of OEM filters (which isn’t very likely since all the Lexus models use the same filter, they usually have lots in stock.) and since they always advertise the OEM parts crap, why would they even have crappy oil filters to begin with? Had they told me, I would have happily walked across the street to autozone, and bought a Mobil 1 filter for $10.99. (btw, turns out they charged me 15bucs for that inferior filter.)
Old 06-25-05, 11:15 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

thats not cool at all man...considering they already have that bad rep as "stealerships"....they should be trying to change that by trying to give their customers value added services or even more....a good example was when i called in to the service manager and inquired about buying a new battery b/c i was having trouble starting my car...he told me to bring in the car to be checked out and told me my battery would be covered under pro-rated warranty...all i had to do was pay for labor costs...he saved me buying a new battery and only charged me 1/2 hr labor which included a diagnostic check of the car...i'd go complain to the service manager or even to Lexus head office...this is not the kind of service that goes with Lexus.
Old 06-25-05, 11:33 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

chances are they are just going to give you the next oil change for free.
Old 06-26-05, 12:19 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
chances are they are just going to give you the next oil change for free.
Hopefully not with another Quaker State filter. I wouldn't go back to that dealer again, all trust is gone, so you don't know how else they'll skrew you.
Old 06-26-05, 12:20 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.. i'm sorry to hear that bro.. my cusin works at a Nissan shop.. . even he tells me most of the time they use after market parts to save some cash. my suggestion to you is. things like Oil change or headlight bolt replacement ...etc. are soo easy , you can do it yourself. since you got the mobel 1 oil already..just get yourself the filter and jack that baby up and unscrew the oil drain plug.. how hard is that???.. you're even feel better knowing you did it all by yourself...
Old 06-26-05, 01:17 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

It is just situations like this that prove how good the dealer is.

As others have suggested, a routine oil change is simple and there are plenty of places to recycle the oil and the filter...makes the whole task easy. Then you don't have the inconvenience of a dealership schedule.
Old 06-26-05, 06:35 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Well, it was a nice Saturday afternoon (actually it wasn’t, it was 95F outside with 90% humidity ) and I had called the dealer yesterday and today, but they couldn’t squeeze me in, so I decided to do it myself.

Went out, bought 6qts of Mobil 1 10-30, and a Mobil filter. Never really thought about doing it myself, because of the oil filter's location on my pervious cars. So I got under the car, and pull out the plastic cover, and the oil filter was right there, VERY accessible.

Now, here is the part that REALLY pissed me off. I have always taken my LS to the dealer for oil changes (I provide the Mobil 1, and they provide the service and TOYOTA OEM filter). I have asked them more then once if they used OEM, and they repeatedly said YES. To my surprise, I had a Quaker State oil filter

I wouldn’t use that brand if they paid me too. However, the question remains, why is my dealer doing this? do you think it was just ignorance on their part or deception? Thinking that I would not ever find out. I’m very irritated because I rely on Toyota filters, leaving my oil for 6500 miles at least, so it really came as a shock when they use cheap brands to save money. Had I known, I would have bought a Mobil filter from day one, but they repeatedly told me/advertised the use of OEM parts only in their dealership

I dont really trust them anymore
Sorry to hear that happened to you Moe. That's why I learned to do my own oil changes (at the parking lot of my condo complex, with a set of ramps, oil pan and some old newspapers). I used to take my ES to the Toyota dealership for oil changes, and I've never had a problem with it. Now I've switched to full synthetic (Mobil-1 10W-30) because of the high mileage, and I can take my time with the oil change job since I like to drain out as much of the old oil out as I can (not like those 15-minute lube places where they still leave some of the old oil in your car)

Keep us updated and good luck
Old 06-26-05, 11:29 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As lexusk8 also pointed out, when you do your own change, you can check out other things while the oil is draining. Those clowns at the quicky lube didn't tell me there was an oil leak but did let me know that I need a new air filter that they happen to sell.

Quick Reply: So I changed my oil today and..