LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just changed power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 01:59 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Just changed power steering fluid

Wow, what a difference, the steering feels much better. I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF, and it was worth every effort. The steering is effortless, and smoother. I only used on bottle of Mobil 1, and drained and refilled about 4 or 5 times.

Oh yeah, I drained using the hose under the reservoir.
Old 06-22-05, 10:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Good job!
I did mine not long ago but couldn't discern a change. The fluid was still pretty good by appearance so I figure it had been done when I bought the car. It had maybe 30K miles on it.

Next thing will be the timing belt, water pump, idlers/tensioners, thermostat, the engine and tranny mounts. Not looking forward to this expense.
Old 06-23-05, 06:00 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do a complete flush

Actually, the volume of P/S fluid is about 3 quarts. Draining and refilling the small reservoir/container does NOT change much of the fluid. Instead, do a full change. Get a helper. Unplug the top hose and stick it in an empty milk jug. Plug the nozzle with a napkin. Raise your 2 front wheels. Tell helper to start engine, and turn steering from left to right, while you keep pouring fresh Dexron III or even Mercon V fluid in the reservoir. After 3 quarts, you'll see all RED fresh fluid. Stop. Plug back the hose. Lower the car. Run the car for 5 minutes to remove all air bubbles. adjust fluid level as necessary. Now see howsmooth it is. Take care Grand LS.

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Wow, what a difference, the steering feels much better. I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF, and it was worth every effort. The steering is effortless, and smoother. I only used on bottle of Mobil 1, and drained and refilled about 4 or 5 times.

Oh yeah, I drained using the hose under the reservoir.
Old 06-23-05, 12:01 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by ychachad
Actually, the volume of P/S fluid is about 3 quarts. Draining and refilling the small reservoir/container does NOT change much of the fluid. Instead, do a full change. Get a helper. Unplug the top hose and stick it in an empty milk jug. Plug the nozzle with a napkin. Raise your 2 front wheels. Tell helper to start engine, and turn steering from left to right, while you keep pouring fresh Dexron III or even Mercon V fluid in the reservoir. After 3 quarts, you'll see all RED fresh fluid. Stop. Plug back the hose. Lower the car. Run the car for 5 minutes to remove all air bubbles. adjust fluid level as necessary. Now see howsmooth it is. Take care Grand LS.

Thanks for the info, great tip. I’m planning on doing the entire thing, but I’m doing it little by little. I did 3drain and refills a few days ago, and yesterday, I took out my MAF (noticed a lot of difference there too, the car is more responsive) to clean it, and decided to do one more. However, your method is by far superior, and more efficient. After seeing the results I got from just one bottle exchange, I’m going to execute your idea, using Mobil 1 synthetic

btw, which two hoses are you referring too? The ones routed to the reservoir? Thanks~!
Old 06-23-05, 01:58 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Yes, I am talking of the 2 hoses that are attached to the P/S fluid check dipstick reservoir.

TIP: Before you pull out the top hose, make sure you have an old full bath size terry towel under the P/S reservoir or else you shall have oil all over in your engine bay and your serpentine belt. Sacrifice a goat (towel) or your baby (serpentine belt). Either way, the Lexus Gods demand a sacrifice.

TIP: You must have a helper to turn the steering wheel. Starting the car will pump the fluid, but all will NOT be changed. The steering MUST be fully activated for a complete flush. If you do the steering, there is nobody to fill the reservoir. That's worse. Get it?

TIP: It is very important that you tell your assistant to turn off the engine everytime you empty your quart and reach out for another, otherwise you will suck in big time air into the pump. Use a big hole funnel, as you have to pour that fluid very quickly. If you suck in air, don't worry, the fluid will become white/pink because it is infused with air. After running the car for 5 minutes, it will become clear again, but make sure you check the fluid level after all the air is gone.

TIP: Go to Lowe's and get 6 feet clear vinyl tubing, I believe the ID size is 3/4" or 7/8" ID (I cannot remember so check OD of the hose you pulled out with caliper). Get it? ID of clear tubing is same as OD of your car's hose. Make sure it is a tight fit. Then put this clear tube OVER the hose you pulled out of the P/S reservoir by 3-4 inches. This way, firstly, your tube is automatically elongated and much easier to work with, secondly, you can easily see the fluid change from brown to RED in the clear tubing!!! Then It's time to Stop.

Go for it.

I am moving to Florida tomorrow, so I'll check back with you guys in a Week. GrandLS4, maybe we can meet up, I see you are also in FL. I am moving to the Tampa area.

Last edited by ychachad; 06-23-05 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 02:15 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Man I just noticed, both RA40 and GrandLS joined CL months after I did and you have thousands of posts to my 200!!!! I don't get it. I try to be equally helpful though I think Take care friends. see you in a week or so.
Old 06-23-05, 02:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by ychachad
Yes, I am talking of the 2 hoses that are attached to the P/S fluid check dipstick reservoir.

TIP: Before you pull out the top hose, make sure you have an old full bath size terry towel under the P/S reservoir or else you shall have oil all over in your engine bay and your serpentine belt. Sacrifice a goat (towel) or your baby (serpentine belt). Either way, the Lexus Gods demand a sacrifice.

TIP: You must have a helper to turn the steering wheel. Starting the car will pump the fluid, but all will NOT be changed. The steering MUST be fully activated for a complete flush. If you do the steering, there is nobody to fill the reservoir. That's worse. Get it?

TIP: It is very important that you tell your assistant to turn off the engine everytime you empty your quart and reach out for another, otherwise you will suck in big time air into the pump. Use a big hole funnel, as you have to pour that fluid very quickly. If you suck in air, don't worry, the fluid will become white/pink because it is infused with air. After running the car for 5 minutes, it will become clear again, but make sure you check the fluid level after all the air is gone.

TIP: Go to Lowe's and get 6 feet clear vinyl tubing, I believe the ID size is 3/4" or 7/8" ID (I cannot remember so check OD of the hose you pulled out with caliper). Get it? ID of clear tubing is same as OD of your car's hose. Make sure it is a tight fit. Then put this clear tube OVER the hose you pulled out of the P/S reservoir by 3-4 inches. This way, firstly, your tube is automatically elongated and much easier to work with, secondly, you can easily see the fluid change from brown to RED in the clear tubing!!! Then It's time to Stop.

Go for it.

I am moving to Florida tomorrow, so I'll check back with you guys in a Week. GrandLS4, maybe we can meet up, I see you are also in FL. I am moving to the Tampa area.
Thanks a lot for the procedure, will do a full flush soon. Im going wait and see, I might be installing a tranny cooler. By the way, I live in the Tampa bay area, specifically, near USF. Check your PM.

Btw, I been a lurker of CL since 2001
Old 06-24-05, 05:40 AM
PK_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I don't have anything to jack up the front two wheels, can this be done with the wheels on the ground?

One more question...you mentioned Mobil 1 ATF...doesn't ATF stand for Automatic Transmission Fluid?...Isn't power steering fluid different from this. (sorry for asking dumb question, but I'm new to all this so trying to understand the basics )

Thanks.
Old 06-24-05, 09:51 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by PK_Lex
Since I don't have anything to jack up the front two wheels, can this be done with the wheels on the ground?

One more question...you mentioned Mobil 1 ATF...doesn't ATF stand for Automatic Transmission Fluid?...Isn't power steering fluid different from this. (sorry for asking dumb question, but I'm new to all this so trying to understand the basics )

Thanks.

Yes, our power steering systems use Dextron or Mercon compatible fluid, not power steering fluid, so be careful there.

In other words, they use transmission fluid.
Old 06-24-05, 11:04 AM
PK_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Power Steering fluid to top mine off a while back

I guess I should try to do a complete flush then. If I use Mobil 1 ATF (I assume it's synthetic?), do I have to make sure that ALL the old stuff gets out or it's ok to have a little bit left over...in other words if the old mixes with the new, will it cause any problems?

Also, do I have to lift the wheels on the stands or can I leave them on the floor and turn?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-12, 06:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I was due for the next PS interval and I went looking for Castrol's synthetic ATF version. Well, when I was joking with the parts guy about Mobil 1 ATF being gone, he told me they have it in stock. I was Said they recently begin getting boxes of it in.

Not all the parts stores have it so call around. Pep boys didn't but some of the Autozones do.