LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Performance Mods for 1st Gen LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 06:19 AM
awdandrwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Lexus lists the '90 at 3,759lbs, the '94 at 3,859lbs, and the '96 at 3,650lbs.

you have the gearing down backwards. higher number=lower gear=better accel but lower highway mpg. lower number=higher gear=better highway mpg but lower accel. switching '98-00 cars to a '95-97 ring and pinion would result in faster acceleration.
I don't have it backwards, I said the same thing you did, I was talking about upgrading UCF10.

Stan
Old 04-10-12, 07:09 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

After some sloppy math the front ends I the sc & LS are within ~ 100lbs of each other easily.
after a lil searching Im finding coilovers from both tein and stance that list as fitting the sc and the supra so the valving is obviously fairly broad and the fronts should bolt up like the other thread. the springs for both kits have higher rates than the Meagan's or bc's listed for the LS so the should have no problem with a few extra pounds per corner. Im assuming the big difference is the rear lower mounting point being different but I dont expect it to be all that hard to either weld on the lower perch or switch the lower mounting point for one from an SC with a little work.

Last edited by j2b4o; 04-10-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 06:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
That's interesting because everything I can find puts the 1sc4 at 3575lbs with 54.5% front weight dist, the 90 LS that I have is 3748 with a front dist of 52.80% which makes it less than 200lbs different and very close in weight dist. If 100 lbs was too much for a set of coils to handle every coil riding car would turn to crap with a driver..... Nevermind a passenger or 2 ~300lbs.... Maybe some budget china coils can't handle it(lol) but real coils can.
Some ppl put more weight into a car with a system and some rediculous rims and the cheapies seem to be holding up even they weren't valved for the extra sub weight.
go find out where all the parts for your "real" coilovers are made. your "sources" are worthless to me, my numbers are from Lexus.
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1995/1995LSspecs.pdf
replace years+Model with your choice.

You're confusing 2 things, 1 is if something can work, the other is if it will work in an optimal way to produce good results. your path of hack, slash, weld, and hope, is the former, not the latter. if you think you're going to get the results you want by hacking up a set of SC/MKIV coils feel free.
Old 04-11-12, 07:36 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
go find out where all the parts for your "real" coilovers are made. your "sources" are worthless to me, my numbers are from Lexus.
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1995/1995LSspecs.pdf
replace years+Model with your choice.

You're confusing 2 things, 1 is if something can work, the other is if it will work in an optimal way to produce good results. your path of hack, slash, weld, and hope, is the former, not the latter. if you think you're going to get the results you want by hacking up a set of SC/MKIV coils feel free.

Did I ever ask your opinion at all??? All I asked is if they would bolt up but you seem incapable of providing info without condesention when you has a bit to learn yourself.
How exactly do you think shocks, coils, struts are assembled ??? You think say some magic words and they are assembled?? No they weld them together just like I would do.... I have quite a bit of experience making thinks work and making them work well. So when your done being butt hurt because I don't like your coils maybe Ill show you a few things. You are spouting off all this "opinion" like it's fact just like several other posts in the forum and again you are dead wrong and have no reliable data or experience to back up you're claims. I showed you the math as it exists. you can change the year and try to make the numbers not as close as they are but in reality the weights are extremely close and I have checked like a dozen or so sources so I know I'm at the very least "close". Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself when you don't know what your talking about...

FI. there is a big big difference between precision cut, measure, dry fit, weld and "hack and slash".
people pay HUGE money for custom alterations done right but I guess to you think Chip Foose is a hack....

(keep defending the coils you already stated you are looking to dump)
Bolt on parts does not good parts make.....

Last edited by j2b4o; 04-11-12 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 09:39 AM
awdandrwd
Driver

You guys are both right, it just depends on your goals and budget IMO.

Main selling points on higher-end dampers and coilovers are:

a) they are designed/tested specifically with your vehicle in mind (R&D that involves picking exact amount of travel, spring height/rate, damper valving and range of adjustment, bumpstops, etc) to reach specific goals
b) they are rebuildable.

If you can pick a good quality setup that meets that criteria, great. One thing I'd like to mention because not everyone probably realizes it is that Taiwan is not in China, they have different political structure, currency and economy and approach workmanship differently. Some of the best-made exhausts in the world come from Taiwan (many "made in Japan" stuff is actually made in Taiwan).

Stan
Old 04-11-12, 05:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
Did I ever ask your opinion at all??? All I asked is if they would bolt up but you seem incapable of providing info without condesention when you has a bit to learn yourself.
How exactly do you think shocks, coils, struts are assembled ??? You think say some magic words and they are assembled?? No they weld them together just like I would do.... I have quite a bit of experience making thinks work and making them work well. So when your done being butt hurt because I don't like your coils maybe Ill show you a few things. You are spouting off all this "opinion" like it's fact just like several other posts in the forum and again you are dead wrong and have no reliable data or experience to back up you're claims. I showed you the math as it exists. you can change the year and try to make the numbers not as close as they are but in reality the weights are extremely close and I have checked like a dozen or so sources so I know I'm at the very least "close". Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself when you don't know what your talking about...

FI. there is a big big difference between precision cut, measure, dry fit, weld and "hack and slash".
people pay HUGE money for custom alterations done right but I guess to you think Chip Foose is a hack....

(keep defending the coils you already stated you are looking to dump)
Bolt on parts does not good parts make.....
lets go point-by-point then:
-you posted on a public forum, then responded to me. yes, you asked for it. regardless if you did or you didn't, I'm at my will to post a reply.
-I have posted before, no it will not bolt up.
-you don't know me, nor what I like or dislike. There's several applicable sayings of assumptions...
-your math is not "how it exists", it is as you stated, without the sources you ask for. I provided sources when needed, such as the weights of different year LS'.
-the weights of the vehicles, while important, are far from the only thing needed to determine valving and spring rates. the motion ratio is what determines spring rates, and that is based on suspension arm length, shock angle, and sprung/unsprung corner weights. Then there's damping curves and all that, which i'm not even going to get into.
-you asked basically "there are coils for another car that i want to fit to my LS", to which I answered. If you had mentioned any precision workmanship capabilities perhaps my answer would have been different. regardless, if you are capable of such work why are you even looking at doing all this customization for coils that were designed for different chassis instead of doing a custom sprung and valved set using koni or bilstein shocks? Regardless what you do is your prerogative, if you know what you're doing then go for it.

I could care less what you think of me, much less the parts on my car. My information is correct, feel free to check it. if you can show me where anything I said is wrong, with a credible, verifiable source, then I have no problems owning up. Lastly, unless you're both a master craftsman, renown hotrod builder, and talented fabricator, you don't really compare to Chip Foose . (I know I sure as hell don't!)

I'm not going to argue with you any more on this topic in this thread, if you want to discuss it, PM me. back on topic.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 04-11-12 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 03:45 AM
LazyJay
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone ever thought of a dual cold air intake for their ls400?
Old 06-27-13, 11:59 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LazyJay
Has anyone ever thought of a dual cold air intake for their ls400?
Pretty sure they have but most who are tech/engineering inclined with the 1UZFE generally hail the intake manifold as excellent so a dual cold air would MAYBE only give a trivial benefit from all that hard work. No discouraging meant but probably not worth the time/money/effort.
Old 08-11-21, 02:19 PM
daymdolla
Driver School Candidate

Question Is this information still valid 20 years later?

Originally Posted by SQ-LS
This was requested by Zushwa:

Air intake:
- Greddy cones
- HKS cones
- K&N cones
- Blitz cones

K&N drop in filters # E-2606
E-2606
E-Ram intake

Exhaust:
JIC Magic Twin Spartan and VIP DE
Fabulous Inferno
Borla exhaust
HKS exhaust
Blitz exhaust (Realize TT, imported)
Win Racing
Junction Produce Type I
Junction Produce Type II

Spark plug wires:
Jacob Electronics
MSD Ignition
Magnecor wires
Vitek wires

Torque Convertor:
SRT
Lextreme

Brakes:
Supra TT front brake upgrade
Rotora
Brembo
AP Racing
Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Strut bar (any 93-97 Supra strut bars will fit with some added washers):
Cusco 93-97 Supra
TRD 93-97 Supra
Win Racing

Shocks and struts:
Tokico
Bilstein
KYB

Springs
Tanabe DF210
Eibach
Intrax
H&R Suspensions

Coilovers:
JIC Magic FLT-A2 VIP
Megan Racing

Exhaust Manifold/Headers:
TDI
S&S

Supercharger:
TDI (imported from Japan)

ECU:
Mine's (imported from Japan)

Alternator:
145 Amp Alternator

This is all I know of so far.
I will update this, when I learn more.
Hey so this is the first time I'm writing something here so idk if it's gonna work but I just got a 1990 LS400 and was wondering if these companies are still making stuff for this car because I know some companies that made some performance stuff went out of business.