LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Dual Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 08:50 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust Question

Now since my 98 model has dual exhaust does that mean if I buy two muffler tips offering fro 24-30 hp EACH does that mean that I could possible climb from 48-60 horses? I just was looking at Muffler tips on Ebay and didn't know.
Old 05-13-05, 09:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Now since my 98 model has dual exhaust does that mean if I buy two muffler tips offering fro 24-30 hp EACH does that mean that I could possible climb from 48-60 horses? I just was looking at Muffler tips on Ebay and didn't know.
Lol, muffler tips will give you zero horsepower. Low restriction cat back or axle-back exhaust will likely only give you 2-3 hp.

Stay away from whomever is selling that stuff for EITHER of your exhaust tips . It's a hoax

Lots of crap out there like the turbinator and 'tornado'
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=turbonator

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-13-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 09:11 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lol, muffler tips will give you zero horsepower. Low restriction cat back or axle-back exhaust will likely only give you 2-3 hp.

Stay away from whomever is selling that stuff for EITHER of your exhaust tips . It's a hoax
Agreed on the outragious claim of HP for tips... lol

But you will get a lot more than 2-3 HP for a properly made exhaust system from the cats-back with straight through mufflers

EDIT: now that i think about it, if you add tips to your car youll theoretically go slower, lol they do nothing for power, all your doing is adding weight! lol

Last edited by xirforever; 05-13-05 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 09:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by xirforever
Agreed on the outragious claim of HP for tips... lol

But you will get a lot more than 2-3 HP for a properly made exhaust system from the cats-back with straight through mufflers
Show me a before / after dyno on a 98+ 1uzfe vvti-i motor and then I'll admit I'm wrong

1 - 3 hp at the wheels (so maybe 3 - 4 max at the crank) is all I've seen on many GS members who have done before and after dynos when adding all sorts of quality aftermarket exhaust systems to their GS. The LS could be slightly different, but I doubt its substantial.

Buy the exhaust for the looks and for the sound... but on a car like the 98+ GS400 and LS400, don't buy it for the HP
Old 05-13-05, 09:18 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Well i have proof, not dyno as that is not as accurate as my proof. I lost approx. 0.6 - 0.5 seconds in my 1/4 mile. I can guarentee that 2-3 hp did not do this..... lol I have time slips of before and after if you want me to post them... i have them around here somewhere.....
Old 05-13-05, 09:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Oh, and I've got brand new L-sportline cat back exhaust ready to put on my 98 LS400.

If you want to make a wager that you'll pay for both the before and after dynos if its more than a 10hp gain at the crank, I'll take the time to do the before / after dyno when its put on If it's more than 10hp it's on my dime. We'll get an independent third party to hold your funds in escrow.
Old 05-13-05, 09:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Well i have proof, not dyno as that is not as accurate as my proof. I lost approx. 0.6 - 0.5 seconds in my 1/4 mile. I can guarentee that 2-3 hp did this..... lol I have time slips of before and after if you want me to post them... i have them around here somewhere.....
Unless you put the exhaust on AT the track on the same day (same track, same temp, same humidity and other conditions etc) and happened to have very similar reaction times and 60ft I'd say thats not a valid test. Any of those conditions will impact your times, some significantly.

Oh and if I read your profile correctly, you've got a 91 LS400, not a 98+. Different car, different engine, different exhaust. I have no experience with that one at all.
Old 05-13-05, 09:23 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Oh, and I've got brand new L-sportline cat back exhaust ready to put on my 98 LS400.

If you want to make a wager that you'll pay for both the before and after dynos if its more than a 10hp gain at the crank, I'll take the time to do the before / after dyno when its put on If it's more than 10hp it's on my dime. We'll get an independent third party to hold your funds in escrow.
No offense, but i dont like dyno, take it to the track and run it in the 1/4 mile. If its an auto there isnt too much driver error therefore very accurate results. I would bet that if you had a properly made cat-back exhaust with straight through mufflers, the gain would be more than 2-3. I mean i have PROOF that it took off .6 to .5 seconds in my quarter mile. Im not expert but i know it takes more than 10 HP to do this.

lol this thread is growing more in 5 mins than some do in 5 months... lol
Old 05-13-05, 09:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

No offense, but i dont like dyno, take it to the track and run it in the 1/4 mile. If its an auto there isnt too much driver error therefore very accurate results. I would bet that if you had a properly made cat-back exhaust with straight through mufflers, the gain would be more than 2-3. I mean i have PROOF that it took off .6 to .5 seconds in my quarter mile. Im not expert but i know it takes more than 10 HP to do this.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Dyno is what all the race shops, tuners and mfgrs use to test their hp increases. I agree proof is in the pudding at the track, but your car runs very differently under changing conditions.

There are many more variables in running at a track on different days. You can have hunderds of pounds difference in the weight of your car from the amount of gas in it, the conditions I listed above, etc.
Old 05-13-05, 09:27 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Dyno is what all the race shops, tuners and mfgrs use to test their hp increases.

There are many more variables in running at a track on different days. You can have hunderds of pounds difference in the weight of your car from the amount of gas in it, the conditions I listed above, etc.
I can live with that, lol. But i always make sure my gas tank is close to empty when i race at the track. So there is one constant.... weight, and thats a doozy (however you spell it)

Also for the record, my car, LS400 91
Old 05-13-05, 09:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Also for the record, my car, LS400 91
THen like I said, totally different car, different engine, different exhaust and I've absolutely no experience with. You might be right on the gains with that one. I'm pretty certain I'm right on the gains with mine.

The post starter (and my) LS400 may look somewhat similar to yours, but the exhaust, engine, performance, etc are substantially different and where I have quite a bit of experience with results of tuning and mods.

I'm still up to take your money for the dyno if you think you're right on the 98+ though
Old 05-13-05, 09:42 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

To be frank i dont know didly about the 98 VVT-i For a moment i forgot what model LS we were debating over. The first gen LS has an EXTREMELY restrictive exhaust, not sure about the 98...?
Old 05-14-05, 10:34 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

To be frank i dont know didly about the 98 VVT-i For a moment i forgot what model LS we were debating over. The first gen LS has an EXTREMELY restrictive exhaust, not sure about the 98...?
Yea if that's the case, I'm sure the 98 would too. I knew there was a scam there, I didn't know how a muffler tip would provide that much hp. Thanks. That would bring me to my next question. What about a universal muffler since I can't find one made for a Lexus?
Old 05-14-05, 05:02 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Your pretty much going to have to have it custom made with universal mufflers, unless you want to pay some outragious price for Lexus performance exhaust. I have magnaflow mufflers on my car.
Old 05-14-05, 05:18 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Your pretty much going to have to have it custom made with universal mufflers, unless you want to pay some outragious price for Lexus performance exhaust. I have magnaflow mufflers on my car.
I have friends who will do the welding for me, but if I replace them, does that mean I get double the increase of horses than a single? Or does that not change?

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Question