LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

$125 for a spark plug change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 07:53 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $125 for a spark plug change?

My old mechanic won't work on my car anymore. (See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159005) So I call the Toyota dealership and ask how much they'd charge to do a spark plug and wire change -- I bring my own parts. I figured it'd $30-$50. He comes back on the phone and says it's $120, 1.6 hours of labor. $120!?! My old mechanic was gonna charge like $30. Is this normal?

I'm not keen on doing them myself, but maybe I should learn. I cracked a plug last time I tried to change plugs some 8 years ago.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 04-29-05 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 08:17 PM
aruba_400
Driver School Candidate

Just replaced the plugs myself for the first time and it does take a while because of all the bolts/screws and covers needed to removed. It took me over two hours to get the job done!
Old 04-29-05, 10:41 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try another mechanic. that sounds about right for a dealership, but you can probably find a better price with same quality job somewhere else.
Old 04-29-05, 11:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

By the way, your car (98+) does not have wires anymore. NO one changes plugs for $30 bucs anymore, not even for a 4Cyl.

I think $125 isnt so bad from a Toyota dealership, that works out to about $78 bucs/hour, which isnt bad at all, considering "sams mechanic" around the corner chargers $95 bucs/hour

Its not hard at all, just a bit time consuming to remove all the parts to GET to the plugs.
Old 04-30-05, 06:32 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Hi Grand_LS4, could you explain what you mean by "No wires anymore"? Thanks. Good opportunity to learn on a newer LS.

BTW, I think $125 is very reasonable for a plug change, especially, since the right side of the engine is a PITA to do. It can be done easily in an hour. Nobody charges $30 for anything anymore. Not even for KIAs. When I first got my 92 LS, the dealership quoted me $300, including the plugs (but not wires). Considering the plugs cost $16, they were quoting me $284 for labour.

The first time I did it on my 92, it took me about 2 hours. But after taking out the air intake to clean the air filter and so on several times, it took me less than an hour to do my 95 LS.

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
By the way, your car (98+) does not have wires anymore. NO one changes plugs for $30 bucs anymore, not even for a 4Cyl.

I think $125 isnt so bad from a Toyota dealership, that works out to about $78 bucs/hour, which isnt bad at all, considering "sams mechanic" around the corner chargers $95 bucs/hour

Its not hard at all, just a bit time consuming to remove all the parts to GET to the plugs.
Old 04-30-05, 07:53 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure the LS has plug wires. I've got a new set from Carson sitting next to me. Part # 90919-22379

Brian
Old 04-30-05, 10:49 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The plug change on the first gens is moderately easy, plugs are $40-50 for the OEM Denso PK20R-11 plugs.
Old 04-30-05, 10:55 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

For some reason, a lot of computer system show the 98's, as part of the 95-97 generation, even if you go on Lexus' website, and sign up as an owner, you will get a pic of 97LS when you enter your VIN. Maybe thats why they gave you these wires. So Next time you order parts, you might want to ask for a 99's.

98's+ use a coil on plug system. No Wires, check your car

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 04-30-05 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-30-05, 10:57 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by ychachad
Hi Grand_LS4, could you explain what you mean by "No wires anymore"? Thanks. Good opportunity to learn on a newer LS.

They Use a COP, or plug on wire, Getting rid of the plug wires not only saves money, it also improves the durability of the ignition system. No high voltage wires means no voltage leaks and no misfires due to "bad" plug wires. Using individual coils for each spark plug also means the coils have more time between each firing. Increasing the "coil saturation" time (the time the voltage to the coil is on to build up its magnetic field) increases the coil’s output voltage at high rpm when misfire is most apt to occur under load.

They last the life of the car, no replacement, unless one breaks.
Old 04-30-05, 03:38 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Hi Grand_LS4,
Thanks for the education on the plug wires. Maybe I'll get a newer LS someday (from the 95, I have to move to 2004+), and I can put your explanation to good use.
Y. Chachad
Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
They Use a COP, or plug on wire, Getting rid of the plug wires not only saves money, it also improves the durability of the ignition system. No high voltage wires means no voltage leaks and no misfires due to "bad" plug wires. Using individual coils for each spark plug also means the coils have more time between each firing. Increasing the "coil saturation" time (the time the voltage to the coil is on to build up its magnetic field) increases the coil’s output voltage at high rpm when misfire is most apt to occur under load.

They last the life of the car, no replacement, unless one breaks.
Old 04-30-05, 09:43 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I guess I'll be talking with Carson about getting these wires sent back if that's the case. Thanks for the education.

Do you know if it is difficult to change the plugs on the 98? Is there a fair chance of a mechanical newb like me screwing something up? Any special tools needed besides a spark plug socket?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-30-05, 10:31 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
I guess I'll be talking with Carson about getting these wires sent back if that's the case. Thanks for the education.

Do you know if it is difficult to change the plugs on the 98? Is there a fair chance of a mechanical newb like me screwing something up? Any special tools needed besides a spark plug socket?

Thanks,

Brian
10 or 12mm socket for the coil bolts, silicone grease for the boots and anti-seize for the plug threads.
Old 05-01-05, 03:03 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Brian S

Thanks,

Brian

I actually havent done the plugs on mine yet. According to the services books, they are fairly new, so I dont think I'll have to change them for another while

But im fairly certain its exactly the same as the first gens, here's a link you can use, thanks to Earl. Follow steps 17-21.

http://www.lexls.com/tuneup.html
Old 05-01-05, 10:44 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Thanks. I may poke around and see if I can do this myself.

Brian
Old 05-01-05, 03:48 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Here is another from a GS400:

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/change_plugs/

Quick Reply: $125 for a spark plug change?