LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should I get other stuff replaced when lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 08:12 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get other stuff replaced when lowering?

98 LS400, 95,800 miles

I may be getting new shocks and springs put on soon (L-sportline). Are there other things I should go ahead and replace while I'm getting that done? I figure some stuff is probably getting old after 6.5 years and nearly 96,000 miles, and it would be silly not to replace stuff that they would have to take out the springs to do anyway.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-21-05, 08:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I’m replacing my lower ball joints, stabilizer bar links, outer tie rods as well. All from Swell at less then half the price of my dealer

Figured it would save me on labor, and alignment expenses. You might want to replace the strut bars, mine are brand new, so its one less item to replace.

Note: You have to remove the backseat to replace your rears. (I already have, I dont trust mechanics to keep it clean).
Old 04-21-05, 10:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The common issue seem to be the strut bars...with the fronts out, I'd replace them. Beyond that, check the ball joints, A-arm bushings, tie rods as well as the swaybar bushings. If you haven't done your 90K service consider it.
Old 04-22-05, 08:58 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Seems to be some black magic involved in figuring out what needs to be replaced. I don't want to drop the change and replace a bunch of stuff that doesn't need replacing, but it also seems silly not to do what may be common since I'm gonna have to pay them the same to tear apart the suspension anyway. Carson guy was somewhat helpful, but didn't know of specific parts that likely need replacing at this point. Kind seems like if it squeaks or clunks, then it should get done. But unless there's a problem, it's hard to tell what needs to get done.

On the ball joints, are you talking about upper or lower? And upper or lower strut bars?

I'm on vacation, so I may go talk to the local Lexus dealership here and see what they recommend as well.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-22-05, 09:40 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Brian S
Seems to be some black magic involved in figuring out what needs to be replaced. I don't want to drop the change and replace a bunch of stuff that doesn't need replacing, but it also seems silly not to do what may be common since I'm gonna have to pay them the same to tear apart the suspension anyway. Carson guy was somewhat helpful, but didn't know of specific parts that likely need replacing at this point. Kind seems like if it squeaks or clunks, then it should get done. But unless there's a problem, it's hard to tell what needs to get done.

On the ball joints, are you talking about upper or lower? And upper or lower strut bars?

I'm on vacation, so I may go talk to the local Lexus dealership here and see what they recommend as well.

Thanks,

Brian
A dealer will try to get the most cash out of your pocket, and might not even really take you seriously once they find out you don’t really live there, thus not going to be servicing your Lexus there.

Usually the upper control arms go bad, but I think mine have been replaced once before i got my car, so were my strut bars.

LOWER BALL JOINTS seem to ALWAYS go out, so you really want to change those for sure. Now as far as stabilizer links, and outer tie rods, they don’t always go out, but I’m changing them anyways because 1) they are cheap 2) I’m really looking for tighter drive.
Old 04-22-05, 10:46 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Brian-

A lot will depend on the road condition the car has seen over those miles. Obviously by replacing all these parts the ride qualities will be new/like new in feel. It you have the $$ they will replace all you want. Have them do a visual inspection. They have see enough to know when the tolerances open up. If you don't have any symptoms like clunking, squeaking and such...fix when they appear.

Mine clunked at 60K miles and my guy told me the bushings were worn but they will be fine. His suggestion was to replace at 90K since that would be about the point the noise and wear would be significant. That was what I did.

The strut bars while easy to replace when doing the struts and springs, isn't a big deal. Work time to do just that on mine is about 2 hours. With most these suspension parts replacements, you will need an alignment. So consider that cost to if you opt for a little by little approach.

I'd love to do what Grand is doing, that one shot is $$$.

Do you have any suspension noises now?
Old 04-22-05, 02:26 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies; it gives me a better idea now. I did have some sort of clunking last summer, but it seemed to go away over the winter. Since, I've only heard a little clunk every now and then. I bet the ball joints are nearing the end of their life, or something else is amiss.

I had been thinking about rims, but I may forgo those and deal with this stuff instead. Grand PM'ed me a pretty good price for his parts.

I am curious though, does the stuff in the rear go bad less often? On a couple occaisions, I have heard a quiet clunk that seems to come from the passenger side rear when leaving my driveway. It could very well just be stuff in the trunk as well I suppose.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-22-05, 06:11 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Brian S
Grand PM'ed me a pretty good price for his parts.

He's reffering the prices I got from Swell Lexus, I don’t actually sell anything

Dont get me in trouble with mods now, Brian
Old 04-22-05, 09:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Sewell has great prices and the shipping is reasonable.

www.lexus-parts.com