LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What octane gas do you use? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 07:33 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
Time to start an oil, ATF, HID or suspension thread. Hahahaha....
i did start an hid and suspension thread kinda
so i need to start oil an atf is what your saying?
Old 01-24-11, 09:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Imperium11
i did start an hid and suspension thread kinda
so i need to start oil an atf is what your saying?
Only to irk PD's wrath of him saying "Search"

ATF- Toyota Type IV
Oil- dino or synthetic. Refrain from cooking oils like vegetable, canola, olive...they may not have the high temp viscosity lubricating properties.
Power Steering- I like Mobil 1
Gear oil- Mobil 1 again
Brake fluid-I had Valvoline synthetic but just recently bought some Prestone synthetic to change over to.
Wiper/washer fluid- cheap stuff, Walmart.
Wiper blades- OEM Toyota

7 threads covered. YMMV though. Hahaha...
Old 01-24-11, 09:31 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Only to irk PD's wrath of him saying "Search"

ATF- Toyota Type IV
Oil- dino or synthetic. Refrain from cooking oils like vegetable, canola, olive...they may not have the high temp viscosity lubricating properties.
Power Steering- I like Mobil 1
Gear oil- Mobil 1 again
Brake fluid-I had Valvoline synthetic but just recently bought some Prestone synthetic to change over to.
Wiper/washer fluid- cheap stuff, Walmart.
Wiper blades- OEM Toyota

7 threads covered. YMMV though. Hahaha...
oem toyota wiperblades, who actually uses those
i went to walmart and got two frameless blades installed them in the parking lot, the passenger side hit the hood, went back in returned it got a normal one, put it in left mess in walmart lot went home
Old 01-25-11, 11:37 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the OEM refills are graphite and of a fairly high quality. also, they're damn cheap.
Old 01-25-11, 08:36 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Don't confuse octane with energy. Octane is just the rate that the fuel burns. If you live at higher altitudes you can get away with sllghtly lower octane. If you are burning premium gas in a car that does not require it ( the LS does require it) you are a fool and are just wasting your money.
you are a fool if that's what you gathered from the wikipedia article (or any other source). octane isn't the rate at which the fuel burns, it's how much the air/fuel mixture can be compressed before pre-detonation.
Old 01-25-11, 09:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the OEM refills are graphite and of a fairly high quality. also, they're damn cheap.
Consistent performers.
Old 01-25-11, 09:36 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

i use whatever octane i feel like running; if i'm running 87 octane i usually just unhook the blower drive belt and put a regular drive belt on. keeps the pinging away. the cars performance is pretty sadly diminished with the 87 octane though.
Old 01-25-11, 10:01 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
you are a fool if that's what you gathered from the wikipedia article (or any other source). octane isn't the rate at which the fuel burns, it's how much the air/fuel mixture can be compressed before pre-detonation.
That is how you determine the octane rating but they are related. either way you are a fool if you use high octane gas on a car designed for regular gas.
Old 01-25-11, 10:19 PM
tmac24
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by deanshark
Yes you should be using premium gas. Worth the extra money for good gas? It's worth it not to be cheap. I wouldn't worry so much about mileage, but more what it will do to your engine. I'm sure, if you're asking this question, you have already used cheap gas so you know how it runs. I had some idiot pump a full tank of regular gas into mine at a full service. (It was a blizzard and I got lazy) I can't believe I gave him a tip. The car ran so bad it sounded like it was gonna explode. It would hardly make it up a small incline and the sound of the pinging was like the engine was falling out. I tried some octane boost, it didn't help. I ended up siphoning the garbage out and putting it in my kids car ('95 Corolla)
you must have had water in your gas, because I use regular in my 1995 Lexus ls 400 and it runs just fine
Old 01-25-11, 10:40 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
That is how you determine the octane rating but they are related. either way you are a fool if you use high octane gas on a car designed for regular gas.
Old 01-25-11, 10:47 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

so doing more than the bare minimum is foolish? i'll be a fool then.
Old 01-26-11, 08:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys please knock off the 'fool' commentary and keep this on the topic of the fuel and the vehicles.
Old 01-26-11, 10:40 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

The Toyota engineers calibrated the car to run on 91 premium. It will run on other grades and as mentioned, some have no obvious problems. OTOH, there are enough threads here with plugged EGR, MAF and a host of FI/intake problems. Draw the conclusion you like from it. Of my buddy's we run premium and I don't recall them saying they failed smog, have plugged EGR, PCV, cats, etc issues.

If the car were calibrated for 87 then spending more would be wasteful. Conversely, the manual states premium so the car may not run optimally on 89 or 87. I find these threads amusing as we tend to see threads that out think a collective design team at Toyota.
Old 01-12-12, 11:26 AM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

I think this topic is funny....
I work for a Large Wholesale warehouse corporation, making around $20hr. In my career I often times will work in different parts of the warehouse. For 3yrs I worked as a gASS attendant. I Love Lexus's, but very much dislike Lexus Owners. For the most part, some excluded Uptight, snotty, and rude! I would say that 1 out or 10 actually use the recommended premium. Even if it is an LS with a 20gal tank it is not that much more per tank for premium over reg or plus. If your pocket book is so tight that you cant afford $10 a month to use the recommended premium, should have bought a Camry.
My favorite memory is a guy pulled in his ES330(knocking quite badly), and rolled down his window just enough to fit his credit card through and slowly enunciated fill regular! I responded with that was a fill premium? Once again he slowly enunciated fill regular! I informed him that his gas door was recommending premium but would (slowly enunciated) fill regular. I then informed him his car was knocking and that the recommended premium would cease the knock. He then rolled up his window and ignored the fact that I was in his presence. Then next week he returned in a non-knocking ES330, telling me that he had his car serviced at Lexus and that he had a recall on the transmission and that was causing the knock. Then asked to fill it premium.

I own a Lexus. I use premium,
1. that is what the car was made/tuned for
2. the manual tells me too
3. the gas door reminds me
4. I own a Lexus

why would I own a Lexus and then try and be as cheep *** as I can. So everyone can see I own a Lexus.

Last edited by whit3b0y; 01-12-12 at 11:30 AM. Reason: because VIP car
Old 01-12-12, 11:50 AM
bwils
Driver School Candidate

I was using premium 93 at first, then my gas station got some 87 but with no ethanol. I started using it and I get way better mileage. Imo find some non ethanol gas and try it. Ull see an improvement mpg for sure

Quick Reply: What octane gas do you use? (The Mother thread)