LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What Should I Buy

Old 03-24-05, 09:21 AM
lino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What Should I Buy

Hi all,

My 1st post here. I am considering to buy a 1990-1994 Lexus LS400. From what I have read so far is that 1993 would be a good year to buy. Traction Control is a good option and air suspension is expensive to replace.

1. What year(s) do you recommend?
2. What breaks? What should I look for?
3. Any bad colors or special colors?

Thank You
Old 03-24-05, 11:01 AM
93LS
Rookie

every thing you need to know...........

http://www.lexls.com/lsgenerations.html

93LS
Old 03-24-05, 12:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I would suggest the newest platform your wallet will afford you. To me, 95+ for the improved safety aspects of the car. At around 70K+ miles, there may be suspension repairs for the worn bushings and mounts. A PITA. Then you have the usual concerns that go with any pre-owned car.
Old 03-24-05, 02:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
I would suggest the newest platform your wallet will afford you. To me, 95+ for the improved safety aspects of the car. At around 70K+ miles, there may be suspension repairs for the worn bushings and mounts. A PITA. Then you have the usual concerns that go with any pre-owned car.
Exactly what he said. Plus the 95 was redesigned inside and out. They can be had for about 7-10K.
Old 03-24-05, 06:31 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My first Lexus was a 93 LS4 with 55K miles. Lexus service did all my major maintenance. I traded it four years later with 95K miles and not a single problem. LS4 is one of the most reliable cars. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-25-05, 12:45 AM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by lino
Hi all,

My 1st post here. I am considering to buy a 1990-1994 Lexus LS400. From what I have read so far is that 1993 would be a good year to buy. Traction Control is a good option and air suspension is expensive to replace.

1. What year(s) do you recommend?
2. What breaks? What should I look for?
3. Any bad colors or special colors?

Thank You

If you're considering a 94 LS, you might as well just get a 95.. Many many changes and upgrades with the 1995 model year.. you won't be disappointed, especially with the interior quality difference between the two model years.. If i were you, i would get a white one.. but stay away from black because it is the hardest color in the world to keep clean, i should know ;-)
Old 04-28-05, 07:18 PM
lino
Rookie

Thank You gentlemen for the advice. I'm off to a good start with all your help. Sorry it took me long to update you guys. I was involved in 2 car accidents since, but I'm ok. I actually just lost all of the post I just prepared for some reason. The window closed . Here we go again...

I was thinking about what you gentlemen said and the 1995 does look newer than the (1990-1994).

On the other hand a nicely dressed 1st Gen LS4 can look as good if not better than any brand new car. For example some members here are prrof of that :

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat/505/page/4

So now if I shift my buying direction to a 1995.
1.What should I pay particular attention to?
2.What are the trouble spots?
3. Any special options to look for or avoid?
Old 04-28-05, 07:37 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

There are a lot less trouble spots on the 95, no more LCD, instr. cluster, power steering, and alternator issues to look for.

Prices range from 6-9K.

Optional equipment on the 95 includes:

Traction Control
Nakimichi sound system
Heated front seats
Air suspension

All are good except the last one, due to costly repairs.
Old 04-28-05, 08:22 PM
lino
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
There are a lot less trouble spots on the 95, no more LCD, instr. cluster, power steering, and alternator issues to look for.

Prices range from 6-9K.

Optional equipment on the 95 includes:

Traction Control
Nakimichi sound system
Heated front seats
Air suspension

All are good except the last one, due to costly repairs.
You just answered almost every question I had with a single post! Your awesome Thank You so much!

BTW did the ride quality change in 1995 compare to the previous years?
Have you been in an Air Suspension vs a Non-Air Suspension car?
How much nicer is the Air Suspension ride quality?
Old 04-28-05, 09:48 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

You just answered almost every question I had with a single post! Your awesome Thank You so much!

(1)BTW did the ride quality change in 1995 compare to the previous years?
(2)Have you been in an Air Suspension vs a Non-Air Suspension car?
(3)How much nicer is the Air Suspension ride quality?
Your very welcome, thats what we are here for

1- yes, 2nd gens have different number shocks, so im pretty sure they made some refinements to the suspension, I never drove a 1st gen, so I'll let the guys that have, comment on that. I know the brakes were seriously upgraded in 95 to 4-piston calipers from 2 on the old gens (your going to love them) .

2- My last two cars were on factory air suspension, (BIG HASSLE) but they werent Lexus', so I cant really say anything about the Lexus air ride. But even if the air suspension was a better, you wouldnt notice it after 80-100K use anyways, by then the struts would be too worn out to warrent a better ride. Problem is, they are about $1000-1200 to replace EACH. So in my mind, unless they were recently replaced by the owner before you, they will be more of a hassle, then they are worth.

3- I'll let the guys like OZ tell you about the difference since they used to have Air suspension, then converted back to non-air. But I will tell you this much, newer NON-air shocks ride a lot better then worn out air struts.

Let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with, and good luck with your search
Old 04-29-05, 01:30 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I own a Gen 1 (92) and a Gen 2 (95) I can comment first hand.

Engine compartment is similar on both. The engine is almost identical but 95 makes 260 HP, Gen 1 makes 250 HP. The engines share most parts. Repairs are similar. The MAF position and size is different. The coolant reservoir location is different. The amount of windshield fluid held in 95 is more than Gen 1. Gen 2 has 3 windshield nozzle spray, Gen 1 has 2 nozzle.

Slyling wise, The Gen 1 is a classic. Gen 2 grows on you. At first I prefered Gen 1, but I like Gen 2 more now. Grown up tastes. The Gen 2 is smarter looking.

Headlights - world of difference. Gen 2 has single unit, and much more powerful lamps. Gen 1 has double unit. Gen 2 uses 2 lamps for bright lights. Gen 1 uses only 1. The lumens put out by gen 2 are almost double than Gen 1. You can mod the fogs on gen 2 to get even more light by switching to 9005 lamps, not much you can do with Gen 1 other than crack the yellow fog lamp cover glass.

Power wise, The Gen 1 "FEELS" more responsive, even though power is less, and car is heavier. The Gen 1 sits lower to the ground, and uses a more agressive shift pattern. The Gen 2 sits taller, and wheels base is stretched by 3-4 inches. I think that's what makes the difference. If you time it, the Gen 2 is quicker than Gen 1. Gen 1 is more fun to push hard.

Stability wise at higher speeds, the Gen 2 is much more stable due to the stretched wheel base. Shocks are bigger, springs are larger. Ride is stiffer than Gen 1. Gen 1 floats like a boat, and rolls like a ship.

Rear lamps - Gen 1 are huge and wide, Gen 2 are, again, a more grown up look. Both are classy.

Trunk space in Gen 2 sucks compared to Gen 1. This is due to longer wheelbase in Gen 2.

Legroom is 3-4 inches more in the rear for Gen 2. Again due to longer wheelbase.

Brakes are 4 caliper in Gen 2 (massive), rotors are bigger and meatier. Gen 1 shares the same brake components with the Avalon. You also get Brake pad wear sensors with Gen 2. Pads are also larger with Gen 2. Brake feel is much more secure, fade is reduced. Gen 1 rotor warps like crazy, turing rotors is more frequent, but I ride my Gen 1 harder as well. Front brakes are easier to fix in Gen 2. Rears are similar in both models.

Note - The 93-94 had bigger rotors than 90-92.

Interior wood is much superior in Gen 2. Seat are infinitely softer and more supportive. Leather is more durable in Gen 2. All the interior plastic is superior in Gen 2. LCD problems are gone. I hate the auto lift only steering on Gen 2. Gen 1 can be disabled. Instrument cluster is brighter in Gen 2. Gen 2 has Auto on/off headlights. Fit and finish is much improved in Gen 2. Stereo system has much more power, Sub is larger in Gen 2. The gated shifter in Gen 2 is superb in the shift pattern and also in the stimulating feedback. The **** feels great. The Gen 1 has the old inline shifter. The handle is ho-hum, and I don't like the overdrive button.

Exhaust tips are missing in Gen 2, but can be installed with minimal work.

Rear Middle stop lamp is much brighter in Gen 2, Tails are a bit brighter, uses different lamps.

Gen 2 rear indoor reading lights are much brighter, as are ALL interior lights.

Gen 2 rear hip room is better as the car is wider. Again makes the Gen 2 more stable.

Gen 2 doors feel much stronger.

My Gen 2 gives 27 mpg, Gen 1 gives 25.

Gen 2 has larger wheels (16-inch) and wider (225) than Gen 1 (92), but 93-94 are same as Gen 1. Gen 2 stock can be fattened to 235/60-16. I have heard of rubbing problems over bumps with the 93-94, don't know if that is true. The 90-92 can be fattened up to 225/60-15 - great MOD.

The list can go on and on, but I'll stop here.

I hope all this helps. The best part is a Gen 2 can be had for the same price as some 93-94 models. I paid $8k for mine in mint condition with 123k miles. I have seen many 94s go for more.

I wouldn't trade my Gen 1 for anything, and I wouldn't trade my Gen 2 for nothing. Bottom line is they are both awesome, and you can't lose.

PS: I now think the 95-97 was the smartest looking LS ever made (on the outside). Inside I can well see the newer LSes are much, much better.

Happy Lexusing!!!

Last edited by ychachad; 04-29-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 02:41 PM
lino
Rookie

Originally Posted by ychachad
Slyling wise, The Gen 1 is a classic. Gen 2 grows on you. At first I prefered Gen 1, but I like Gen 2 more now. Grown up tastes. The Gen 2 is smarter looking.
I love them both too. I am so used to looking at the Gen 1 since it's the one I've seen the most . Now after spending so much time looking at them both, I can easily say that I love the Gen 2 just as much, only in a different way. I went through the entire gallery last night - all 86 pages! Since they both can be had for roughly the same money, it makes more since to me to buy a Gen 2. Either way it won't be a loss, because the one I don't end up buying, I can enjoy just as much by looking at the cars here on the forum .

Thank you very much for taking the time to share that quality post with all of us. All that info really helps. I'm taking notes and learning from the best!

One thing I would like to ask you, do you have air suspension on any of your cars?
Old 04-29-05, 04:41 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No air on any of mine.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share that quality post with all of us. All that info really helps. I'm taking notes and learning from the best!

Thanks

One thing I would like to ask you, do you have air suspension on any of your cars?
Old 04-30-05, 02:44 PM
lino
Rookie

What color is your 1995 car?
Old 05-02-05, 09:29 PM
lino
Rookie

I drove by a Lexus dealership today on my way to a meeting and decided that I'd stop in on the way back. I spoke with a person in warranty to see what cars are eligible for the Lexus used powertrain warranty. I've been curious about that for a few days now. I got all the info I was looking for, but the person I spoke with was so pushy. He was insisting that I buy a new Corolla . It was super annoying. I told him why would I want to drive a Corolla when I'm asking you for extended warranties for a Lexus, and especially an Lexus LS400? He wouldn't give up , I was ready to out of there. But instead, I kept my cool and went and spoke to the service manager, whom I know, and got some info that I wanted. As I was leaving, I noticed an LS in the back of the lot. I took some pics and went home. I was in no mood for a salesperson at this point.
I called them later on and found out that the car was just traded yesterday and wasn't even cleaned up yet. It's a 1 owner car, all service records available, dealer maintained, 145,000 miles, and the as traded price is $10,000.

Here are the pics, which make the car look nicer than it is in real life:

I was turned off by this car, because it was so dirty.
The leather looked extremely dry and hard. No cracks or tears tough.
There were some scrathces and other blemishes.
I only looked at the car for 2 minutes and left, so that's the best description I have for now.

I have no intention of buying this particular car, but at least I can get an up close and personal idea of the condition of these cars with age and see the different colors. The more I can see up close the better. I think I want a dark color. That is what I need to finish deciding and then the search will be in full motion.

The best part is that I really like the LS and I'm liking it more and more each day and especially after today. It's really rare I see a generation 2 on the road so overall it was a good day .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Should I Buy