LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First 2 weeks with my 2000 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-05, 02:11 PM
agc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 2 weeks with my 2000 LS400

Well it been two weeks since I have had my 2000 LS400 (34k) and here are sone questions that I have

1. I noticed that the serpentine belt is making noise, so I ordered a new one from Carson Toyota. As for engine noise, the car seem very quite, but I hear the belt squeking right now, so once I change that out I will see how it sound.
2. I notice white smoke out the rear tail pipes whem the heat is on (an it is cold outside)
3. The ride feels very confortable, expecially on the highway, but I have been driving it locally and notice that I feel the bumps more. I have never owned a Lexus, therefore don't know how smooth the ride should be. I compare it to my Honda and it is definitely much smoother, but I think it should be even smoother (maybe I am expecting too much). How do I know that my car is running optimum.
4. Wind noise, how huch should I be hearing, it is definitely quiter than my Honda, but how quiete should it be.

I guess most of these question are because I have no experience with Lexus, so thanks for your help and guidance
Old 03-14-05, 05:12 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by agc
Well it been two weeks since I have had my 2000 LS400 (34k) and here are sone questions that I have

1. I noticed that the serpentine belt is making noise, so I ordered a new one from Carson Toyota. As for engine noise, the car seem very quite, but I hear the belt squeking right now, so once I change that out I will see how it sound.
2. I notice white smoke out the rear tail pipes whem the heat is on (an it is cold outside)
3. The ride feels very confortable, expecially on the highway, but I have been driving it locally and notice that I feel the bumps more. I have never owned a Lexus, therefore don't know how smooth the ride should be. I compare it to my Honda and it is definitely much smoother, but I think it should be even smoother (maybe I am expecting too much). How do I know that my car is running optimum.
4. Wind noise, how huch should I be hearing, it is definitely quiter than my Honda, but how quiete should it be.

I guess most of these question are because I have no experience with Lexus, so thanks for your help and guidance
1. I suggest a gatorback.

2. Normal, your body does the same thing when you exhale in similar conditions.

3. Check your ball joints and strut bar bushings. (dont think they would go out at 32K, but check anyhow.)

4. Cant really explain this, but to get a better idea, you can’t REALLY judge based on old experiences. Drive your LS 400, then another car back to back on the someday, its the only way you will be able to tell the difference, because you get used to the quiet ride, and you cant tell its quiet anymore, till its louder.
Old 03-14-05, 07:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The auto writers embellish a bit in their descriptions.

Engine noise, I hear the sperpentine belt in mine but it isn't squeaking or such. Squeaking is possibly the pulleys being slightly out of true or a poorly cut belt. I would suspect a belt.

Ride smoothness...that is subjective. Cruising down the HWY, you'll not feel that much but it shouldn't be disconnected like some big American sedans. In town, if the bump is big enough, it will be noticed. The suspension is really at peak on the highway IMO.

When I got ours, I expected it to be like an isolation chamber since I'd heard it described as "tomb like". Well, it's not -that quiet- but it is compared to other cars. I've been meaning to take a db meter and take a reading but sicne I have these loud BFG's, it's pointless. The only time I notice wind noise is when there is a moderate cross wind.
Old 03-15-05, 11:10 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Tires make a big difference in ride and noise. What tires are on the car? Also, cold weather can make the tires stiffer and noisier.
Old 03-15-05, 11:20 AM
agc
Pit Crew

First I would like to THANK everyone of you for your help and suggestions. Here is what I realized so far

As for the serpentine belt making noise, I will replace it with the new one (BTW how long does it take Carson Toyota to send me a belt) and see what it sounds like then.

As for the white smoke out the rear tail pipes, you are all correct (sorry for this stupid question), but I do see it on all my vehicles when it's cold outside (I guess I am just a bit paranoid because I just got the car and am making sure about everything), again SORRY for the stupid question

As for the ride, when I first took my wife out for a ride the car felt great and didn't feel bumpy at all. On Sunday I took it to get some air in one of the tire because I noticed it was low, I then added air to all the tires to make it all 36 psi. That afternoon I took my wife out in the car and that's when we both noticed that the ride got a bit bumpy. I totally forgot that I added air to the tire and immediately thought there was something wrong with the car. Again this was me being paranoid because I just got the car, but I will check all tire pressure and make sure they are at 29 psi (+- 1 psi). As for the tires, the previous owner changed the tires about 6 months ago and put Dunlop 5000 Sport, which I think is recomended on this forum.

Now the wind noise, again it's probably just me

Again, I want to THANK everyone for your advise and keep them coming
Old 03-15-05, 12:06 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

agc , The Dunlop 5000 Sport tire is not a very good tire for that car, they are noisy and bad riding.

This is the tire : Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z

Last edited by Lexkost; 03-15-05 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 02:36 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

dulop sport tire are very bad for that car sorry to say. UNLESS you are trying to make it into a sport car. You will feel every bump.

I had a VERY bad experiance with tires on my LS. If you want the smoothest quietest ride stick with the OEM Bridgstone Turanzas ER33 tires. Now if you drive the car hard they will ware away with in 20k or less. If you drive it like a Luxery car should be you will get 30k or more on them.
Old 03-16-05, 08:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

IMO, the Dunlop SP5000 is provides a nice balance between ride, handling and wear on the LS. The SP5000 is the successor and very similar to the SP4000 which Lexus provided as a no cost option on the 2000 LS when the purchaser wanted an all season tire. We get about 40,000 miles from SP's on rear wheel drive and 60,000 on front wheel drive cars.

One aspect of the Dunlop SP4000 / SP5000 is that they are quite popular and can sometimes be had at bargain prices depending on the season. I paid only $208 for a set of four about two years ago at Tire Rack. The H-speed rated versions may ride a little softer than the Z-speed rated versions although I sometimes get better pricing on the Z's which is what I bought for my 00 LS to replace the original V-speed rated SP4000's.
Old 03-16-05, 10:52 AM
agc
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the inputs

As for the tires, I did some research and found out that the previous owner put them on about 2500 miles ago (9/2004), it was installed by the lexus dealership that serviced the car. I will probably keep them till they wear out because they are pretty new, however if I do get (and that's a big IF) newer LS wheels then maybe I will get new tires as well. But for now I will see how they are
Old 03-18-05, 05:42 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

hey guys..

i need to replace the serpentine belt on my 98 LS. how much was the belt at Carson??

can this be replaced by myself or is it something a mechanic should take care of??

enjoy your 2000 LS it is the most gorgeous car I've ever driven
Old 03-19-05, 09:08 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by sphereman
hey guys..

i need to replace the serpentine belt on my 98 LS. how much was the belt at Carson??

can this be replaced by myself or is it something a mechanic should take care of??

enjoy your 2000 LS it is the most gorgeous car I've ever driven

Very Very easy job, takes less then 10 mins. I highly recommend a gator back belt from your local Autozone, its much quiet then the stock one. I just changed my less then 1-year-old belt, and noticed a big difference in noise. In addition, its only $29.99, and readily available.

I just typed up the instructions then realized its not even readable since i just got back home from a Verrrrrrry long drive, so here's the tutorial from our buddy Earl.

http://www.lexls.com/drivebelt.html
Old 03-25-05, 07:45 PM
Majkmil
Driver School Candidate

i read the tutorial and it seems easy enough to take off. Is it just as easy to get the new belt on? Do I always turn the tensioner counter clockwise ( R&R). Should I have the car in neutral? Thanks
Old 03-25-05, 09:35 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

The gear doesnt make any difference. The hardest part is getting the belt out, once off, takes 4mins to get the new one in.