LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

P/S pump replacement story/ problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 08:32 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry P/S pump replacement story/ problem ?

Hi,
B/c of leaking, finally bit the bullet and installed an A-1 Cardone reman pump from Advance Auto for $116 along with idle up valve ($99 from dealer).

Now, I've changed heads in Hondas, done much other work on cars and this was, by far, the hardest job ever done, even with the Lexus manuals ! Manual says take off ps pump pulley, orient pump and remove. Reality is there is about 12 other steps! Took me 11 hours. Problem is the 2 14MM bolts in back can't be reached until alt is taken out of the way and then it's very difficult to get any torque on the bolts. Then it's very difficult to get the pressure hose bolt loose, etc, etc..

Now, after re-filling and bleeding, I've had intermittent p/s loss, but when i rev the engine it will suddenly and completely come back. that was yesterday after the job was done. today, it 'appears' gone after much bleeding. hmmmm.... any thoughts?

When looking into the reservoir when the engine's running and the wheel is turned, there is slight amount of little bubbles. I know foaming and bubbles indicate air, but is a very slight amount normal?

I've since read about the screen in the solenoid and probably will look it. Also, I didn't know about a screen in the reservoir ARGGHH !! Do you think I need to look at?

Thanks...
Old 01-13-05, 06:35 PM
bicol-ini
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, its been discussed a lot of times in the forum, do a search and tons of info,
Old 01-14-05, 12:08 PM
toddatroos
Driver School Candidate

Same prob for me a couple of years ago. Your problem is the screen filter located at the pressure valve on the rack is plugged-up. This filter screen is located where the high pressure hose connects to the rack. Pull the high pressure fitting off (not too easy!) and take the screen out. Use some carb or brake cleaner to get all of the debris out of the screen and put it back in. This should solve your problem.

Make sure you purge all of the air from the system by running the engine and turning the wheels all the way to one direction. Turn off the engine and let it set for about 15 minutes. Repeat this several times with the wheels turned all the way in both directions. Search for other threads on PS problems for more detailed directions.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-20-05, 05:31 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

Thanks much for the info-- I've read every possible thing,. It so happened that the next day, it behaved normally and has for a week- perfect. then last nite it went out for maybe 10 seconds. will change screen...

it was mentioned somewhere there is also another screen/filter at the reservoir? is that right or just an internet tale?