LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93LS poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 02:47 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93LS poor gas mileage

the 93LS with 74K miles is giving an avg. of 15mpg lately. I did replace the air flow meter as pointed out by the dealership. But it made no difference. I was also told that the poor acceleration could be due to faulty AFM but apparenlty changing it did not result in any performance imporvement.
The dealer pointed out that the TPS could be faulty. If tha'ts the case will there be ECL or any other light coming up for that ? Plus what are the sympotms of a bad TPS if any ?
changing the torque convertes seems a possiblity but that might aid in the acceleration but how do i solve the low mpg issue ?
any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-27-04, 02:36 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

O2 sensor can't be the reason as they were changed on the car some time ago. and yes bad oxygen sensors will cause the check engine as well as the trac off light to come on.
Old 12-29-04, 01:03 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

ooh your that guy selling your LS400 for $9700 !!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144085

man your gonna have to lower the price now...tsk tsk tsk
Old 12-29-04, 07:17 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

First of all I dont need your approval before i post my car for sale. Mine's 74K miles. I think you are thinking along the lines of your own ls with 215K.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142975
More over if you can't provide any helpful suggestions then keep your comments for someone else. I will be reporting you to the forum admin as well for useless input and waste of time comments !

Last edited by Lexs400; 12-29-04 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 07:27 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexs400
the 93LS with 74K miles is giving an avg. of 15mpg lately. I did replace the air flow meter as pointed out by the dealership. But it made no difference. I was also told that the poor acceleration could be due to faulty AFM but apparenlty changing it did not result in any performance imporvement.
The dealer pointed out that the TPS could be faulty. If tha'ts the case will there be ECL or any other light coming up for that ? Plus what are the sympotms of a bad TPS if any ?
changing the torque convertes seems a possiblity but that might aid in the acceleration but how do i solve the low mpg issue ?

Hum....my 05 only gets about 15-18 MPG....wats the typical MPG?
Old 12-29-04, 07:33 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good luck getting THAT to happen!

report....to the forum admin as well for useless input and waste of time comments !
Hah! If admins were empowered to ban members for "waste of time" comments, half of the SC300/400 forum would disappear! One guy over there just felt compelled to announce that he had ordered some parts!
Old 12-29-04, 07:44 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Haha you all are clowns, I love this forum.

You think 12-15 is bad? I get under 10.

Maybe I should drive like it's a Lexus.
Old 12-30-04, 06:23 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

thinking of my own lines? no...my comments were helping others of not getting ripped off by you.
you should check www.kbb.com. for best condition of your car year and mileage is only 10,000.
but there is no 93 ls400 for sale for over even 7G's. there's even a 94-96 ls for sale for only less than 8G's. And plus fixing tat faulty AFM and TPS would be extra 1-2G's extra adding to that sell Price.. but wait why in your profile shows your car is 1990 LS4....? Seems like your gonna ship the car to seller with false details and run off.

I didn't even say anthing about you needing approval from me. This guy...you have no idea what your talking about. Your just mad because your gonna have to drop your car price down now. admit it.

but Only 74k miles on a 93LS? wait it's a 90 actually... wow? Have you been abusing the odometer? Better check carfax on that car, buyers.

BTW did you have approval from admins to post cars on sale in engine/transmission forum? anyways, I mean who is really going to buy a 93 LS4 for 10G's ? We might as well get a new vehicle. I mean you told and show'd everyone in this forum about your car having defects and also putting your car on sale in such a high price...are you ok?

Speaking of "useless input", I don't put useless input, what about you putting your car on sale in the wrong section of forum in purpose? NOTHING I input is a comment.

Go ahead report, I had done nothing wrong, but I can report you for posting your car on sale in the wrong forum.

B/T/W if I was selling MY LS i would only sell it for around $4-6 G's.

Next time why don't you stick to posting on Sale Forum if your selling your car and not on this forum, if you want to avoid this arguement ever again.

Last edited by nagasakki; 12-30-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-30-04, 11:23 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Naga,
this thread is for gas mileage issues. next time read the heading before u start blabbering. and if u have more time on your hands than anyone else, i suggest you find a hobby to better utilize your time than writing one page posts about 'nothing' and arguing with people.
good luck.

Last edited by Lexs400; 12-30-04 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-30-04, 11:34 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

What's the most recent 'major' service you have done to your LS? IE: complete tune up, o2 sensor change.......which is one major reason & very often overlooked item one can change. Give me some 'details' as it could be a number of items.
Old 12-30-04, 11:37 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

the service was done with the fuel filter,. plugs, and the other items changed. the mass air flow meter and air filter was also replaced. so were the o2 sensors.
the car goes to the dealer for everything and the dealer says the maintenance has been upto date and they don't suggest anything that might need replacement etc.the tps was adjusted to specs as well so at this point i'm trying to figure out what else can be looked at.
Old 12-30-04, 11:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

the service was done with the fuel filter,. plugs, and the other items changed. the mass air flow meter and air filter was also replaced. so were the o2 sensors.
the car goes to the dealer for everything and the dealer says the maintenance has been upto date and they don't suggest anything that might need replacement etc.the tps was adjusted to specs as well so at this point i'm trying to figure out what else can be looked at.
Strange that your fuel economy is suffering so badly after all servicing seems to be up to date. I assume that all tire pressures are good as well........I Other than perhaps the throttle body or injectors? Keep us posted.
Old 12-30-04, 11:50 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Reduced mileage could be caused by something as simple as colder weather, especially if your trips are short. My '04 LS has dropped about 3-4 MPG since the temperature here has been around 32-40 degrees. The engine temperature often doesn't get to "normal" before reaching my destination.

Mike
Old 12-30-04, 12:35 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Naga,
this thread is for gas mileage issues. next time read the heading before u start blabbering. and if u have more time on your hands than anyone else, i suggest you find a hobby to better utilize your time than writing one page posts about 'nothing' and arguing with people.
good luck.
Just was curious after I saw you posted your car for sale in Transmission/Engine forum section.
And found that you posted another about defects in your car. So was suggesting your car's price was little too higher than a excellent condition vehicle. I know it's not my business, but just a suggestion but it's not suppose to be helpful but ideal. but at first I didn't know it was offending to you. I apologize.

Just squash it, and just forget about it, and drop the attitude.

But I do have a hobby in my garage in spare times at home, And I only be in lexus forums when I'm at work. Yes I work at this big cubicle and my own privacy. Yes your right it's a waste of time, but I have many spare times at work.

Anyways...maybe I can discuss what's wrong with your car.
It is maybe due to cold driving. have you tried warming the car up for 5 mins?
my car full tank in warm weather can drive about 345-360 miles.
in winter, avg. mpg is about 275-290 miles.
mostly when I drive in winter, the car seems to go faster, just as every cars, but the engine is V8 that meanes 2x - 3x more gas use than any domestic cars with smaller engine in winter drive.

P.S. DEALERSHIP don't know !@#$.

Last edited by nagasakki; 12-30-04 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 02:36 PM
JDMFreak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xmystikx
my car's in great condition getting only 220miles on a full tank mix driving.. sucks ***

my ls 400 is running kinda crappy IMO, but my last full tank of gas i got about 250 out of it...

Quick Reply: 93LS poor gas mileage