LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rewiring your fogs in 95 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 05:48 AM
krownpimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foglight relay?

ok, i pull the foglight relay out. Its labeled 1 2 3 5, which wire do i Run to the fuse? Ive looked AT other Post but they all had theirs labeled 1 2 3 4 and the relay isnt the Same.
Old 03-23-12, 07:31 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

You need to better describe what you are doing. Usually a fuse goes on the battery side.
Old 03-23-12, 09:30 AM
krownpimp
Driver School Candidate

Im trying to get the fog lights to turn on without the headlights. I dont which plug goes to the fuse.
Old 03-23-12, 11:01 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Model year is needed for the pros to help you.
Old 03-23-12, 12:21 PM
krownpimp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man... Its a 96 ls400. I found this pic..

I think the green goes to the fuse but Im not sure.
Old 03-23-12, 02:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please remember to read the stickies.

merged.
Old 10-01-13, 08:57 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

So, basically, you just change where the green wire gets power from. In factory form, it gets power from the headlights, when they are on. I need to send power to that same wire/terminal from the parking lights or ignition so I can run them with the headlights off.

Do the other 3 wires/terminals stay the same as original?
Is there some other place to cut into the green wire or whatever is feeding power to that terminal other than on the back side of the fuse panel?
Old 10-01-13, 09:02 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the other three wires remain connected to the old relay receptacle. You are only altering the source of the relay's trigger power source from the headlight circuit to a different circuit that you need to locate.

You need to read my specific instructions again, more carefully, because it sounds like you think that you are cutting a green wire that already exists in the car. Read #6 carefully because the green wire that you are cutting was just added by you so you aren't actually cutting a wire that is part of your factory wiring harness.
Old 10-01-13, 09:14 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Originally Posted by spinout180
Yes, the other three wires remain connected to the old relay receptacle. You are only altering the source of the relay's trigger power source from the headlight circuit to a different circuit that you need to locate.

You need to read my specific instructions again, more carefully, because it sounds like you think that you are cutting a green wire that already exists in the car. Read #6 carefully because the green wire that you are cutting was just added by you so you aren't actually cutting a wire that is part of your factory wiring harness.
Gotcha. Where does the 12v from the headlights come from to trigger the fog light relay? Since this is the only thing we need to change I was wondering if it was possible to just disconnect this trigger source somewhere other than the top of the fusebox. I suppose the headlight switch sends power or ground to the headlight relay which is probably right next to the fog light relay and there aren't any wires at all.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 10-01-13, 11:32 AM
spinout180
Instructor

I don't know how the headlight +12V is routed, so you would have to do some digging. It's probably buried somewhere behind the fusebox... so yes, I guess you could disassemble everything and find it... but that seems like a lot more work than my method.
Old 10-01-13, 01:30 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

the 12v from the headlight probably comes from a neighboring relay circuit.

what i was thinking is to tie the yellow (which is already constant 12V) and green together! this would make the fogs be independent as well.
Old 10-01-13, 04:31 PM
spinout180
Instructor

Yeah, you could make the fogs completely independent... but I like them tied to the parking light or ignition circuit instead. That way you can just leave the switch on all the time without worrying about leaving the lights on when you park your car.
Old 10-01-13, 05:25 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

when i open the door, my lights turn off automatically, but i hear your point.
Old 10-07-13, 08:45 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Originally Posted by spinout180
Yeah, you could make the fogs completely independent... but I like them tied to the parking light or ignition circuit instead. That way you can just leave the switch on all the time without worrying about leaving the lights on when you park your car.
Me too. I'd like to think I'd be smart enough to remember to turn off the fog lights if they were independent of the headlight switch but I know I'm not.

I looked at the large main fuse, relay box under the hood behind the battery and found the headlight relays. This means they are not on the same sub panel/box that the foglight relay is, which suggests there may be an actual headlight relay wire from the main panel to the sub panel/box to control the foglight relay. The cover over the sub panel/box does not even list the foglight relay in it's layout diagram.

I have an electrical manual coming in the mail so I hope I can see how it all goes together.
Old 10-23-13, 07:09 AM
Boomer9094
Driver School Candidate

Default fog light rewire

Hello, thank you for keeping this nine year old thread going. I started this mod on Monday. I removed my lower dash on my 1995 LS400 and removed the two bolts and one nut holding the fuse box. I had to unplug the harness to get to the top of it. I removed the relay hooked up the extension wires and plugged in the fog relay. everything worked after I plugged the harness back in. I ran the trigger wire from the relay to the hot at all times I found on the fuse box. the fogs came on. but not able to turn them off. So I hooked them up to the heated seat switch. now they can be turned on and off from switch. but I can not use them when the headlights are on. I tried switching the wire from the trigger to other and not I have no fogs. and my relay nolonger clicks. I think I may have fried it. waiting for replacement to finish this mod.

Quick Reply: Rewiring your fogs in 95 LS400