LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Has anyone replaced their Winsheild on a 98 LS

Old 11-17-04, 01:39 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone replaced their Winsheild on a 98 LS

Hey All

Has anyone had their windsheild replace on a 98 or any years LS?

Any horror stories or anything to worry about?

The compnay I will be using is Express Auto Glass.

They will be repairing a small chip on my RX and replacing the windsheild on my LS. I have been assured it will be OEM glass and seals. Also that it will be glass for a 98 and not a 97 LS. The 98 model got a little thicker glass for reducing noise.

I am scared ****less sence this is my baby, but the girl assured me 100% satifaction and so did Gieco. I also told the lady that I am Mr. Super **** and Picky about my car and she said I would be pleased.

Someone please tell me it will be OK.....

Actually tell me the truth.

Jerry
Old 11-17-04, 02:17 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone replaced their Winsheild on a 98 LS

Originally posted by Horta
Hey All

Has anyone had their windsheild replace on a 98 or any years LS?

Any horror stories or anything to worry about?

The compnay I will be using is Express Auto Glass.

They will be repairing a small chip on my RX and replacing the windsheild on my LS. I have been assured it will be OEM glass and seals. Also that it will be glass for a 98 and not a 97 LS. The 98 model got a little thicker glass for reducing noise.

I am scared ****less sence this is my baby, but the girl assured me 100% satifaction and so did Gieco. I also told the lady that I am Mr. Super **** and Picky about my car and she said I would be pleased.

Someone please tell me it will be OK.....

Actually tell me the truth.

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Is it absolutely necessary that you need it replaced? Is it cracked or just excessively pitted to the point it's obstructing your vision/view?
Old 11-17-04, 02:34 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hmmm are you a Geico rep?
Old 11-17-04, 02:36 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

To be 100% honest with you, don’t do it, unless ITS REALLY badly broken. Otherwise, you won’t forgive yourself when after the echo’s of "wind noise" keeps you up at night

Seriously, though, I would strongly advise against changing it unless you exhausted all other options. The word “wind noise” really started hitting home after I changed the windshield on an old car of mine that I kept only 2 weeks after the accident. I’m sure you know why.

GOOD LUCK IF YOU MUST!! I sure hope they do a good job.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 11-17-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 05:27 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I had the windshield (and the glass sunroof) replaced on my 90 LS in about the 11th year of ownership and there were no problems at all. And I have had windshields replaced on other cars with no leaks or noise issues at all. Gosh, friends of mine in mountain states where they use a lot of sand on the roads in the winter replace their windshields every 2-3 years.

The LS I drive has been on the road for just over four years and I don't plan to wait much longer to replace the windshield. The much better view is worth the measily $250 or so the replacement costs. Oddly enough the body shop (owned by the local Lexus dealer) that did the replacement on my 90 LS would have charged my insurer about 50% more than I paid. Since I am employed in the insurance industry, I "ate" the cost - to me it was a matter of principle.

Sure, you could have a bad replacement. But I think the risk is very low.
Old 11-17-04, 06:22 PM
psls400
Driver

Angry

I had my 91 LS windcreen replaced 8 months ago with the following "side-effects" that *&%#$# me off!:

1. The left wiper arm does not sit it its little contour under the hood -caused by thickness of new glass or new wiper blades;

2. Wind noise from side somewhere that was NOT there previously; and

3. Had to buy new clips for cowl trim that sits at base of windcreen under the hood as the clips were glued back on. They looked and were broken!

4. Installer had cut and superglued one of the door rubbers together whern it should have been replaced!

I caution anyone wishing/needing to replace their windscreen. Be **** and make sure you go for a test drive with the installer and inspect the job before handing over the cash. The place that did mine are quite a large company but not very professional as evident from the above observations.

You see, most of these guys don't appreciate that the car is not just a car -it's a LEXUS!

Ciao!
Old 11-17-04, 06:30 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RA40 just did and here's his thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139750
Old 11-19-04, 01:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Find a good installer with a good warranty and you should be fine. As well, get a good quality glass...the prior owner had a glass that was made in China, the PPG where ever it is made is night/day different. The clarity as I stated in my thread, is like there is no glass at all.

When the prior owner had the glass replaced and whomever he chose, beat the car up. The screw heads for the windshield trim all had cammed out and ruined the heads. The A pillar covers had cuts and part of my headliner trim was also cut. I knew about the headliner trim but the pillar damage I couldn't see until the glass was out. Most of the damage is covered by the windshield so it's out of sight fortunately.

If you reuse the wiper blades, made sure you wipe them off. When my glass was removed, it cracked more and left little glass shards. You don't want these to become stuck in the wiper blades and scratch your new glass. This may be why they suggest a new wiper blade replacement when doing the job. Better yet, just remove the wiper arms so it is one less thing for them.

This stuff happens with frequency so it isn't a big deal. It is too bad that CA is not like Florida and other states that the insurance companies cover this type of damage in your policy. Oh well...

It's not obvious yet I think the car is a touch quieter witht his new glass.

Last edited by RA40; 11-19-04 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 02:40 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RA40
Find a good installer with a good warranty and you should be fine. As well, get a good quality glass...the prior owner had a glass that was made in China, the PPG where ever it is made is night/day different. The clarity as I stated in my thread, is like there is no glass at all.

When the prior owner had the glass replaced and whomever he chose, beat the car up. The screw heads for the windshield trim all had cammed out and ruined the heads. The A pillar covers had cuts and part of my headliner trim was also cut. I knew about the headliner trim but the pillar damage I couldn't see until the glass was out. Most of the damage is covered by the windshield so it's out of sight fortunately.

If you reuse the wiper blades, made sure you wipe them off. When my glass was removed, it cracked more and left little glass shards. You don't want these to become stuck in the wiper blades and scratch your new glass. This may be why they suggest a new wiper blade replacement when doing the job. Better yet, just remove the wiper arms so it is one less thing for them.

This stuff happens with frequency so it isn't a big deal. It is too bad that CA is not like Florida and other states that the insurance companies cover this type of damage in your policy. Oh well...

It's not obvious yet I think the car is a touch quieter witht his new glass.

Mike,

Out of curiosity which glass did you go with by PPG?
http://corporate.ppg.com/PPG/SBU/Aut...ss/default.htm

AQUAPEL GLASS TREATMENT BY PPG ENHANCES SAFETY OF 2004 LEXUS RX330
http://www.ppg.com/gls_autoglass/news_12-02-03.asp

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 11-19-04 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 07:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I went looking through their site after the glass was installed and couldn't really determine which model. The gal that ordered the glass told me it was the privacy glass in gray. List price is $697 and Safelite price was $229.

Here is the info from the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone replaced their Winsheild on a 98 LS-ppg.jpg  

Last edited by RA40; 11-19-04 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 08:17 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PPG makes good glass and paint.
Old 03-17-06, 07:56 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

late bump

But i just had my windshield replaced by All Star Glass out in Walnut Creek, i requested ONLY PPG or Asahi glass touch my car, the guy referred to me by my body shop only uses FYG on insurance replacements, no thanks. The PPG glass is great, it's crystal clear. I highly recommend using a PPG or a OEM Asahi replacement if your insurance won't cover OEM. I believe Pilkington also makes replacement glass too, from the United-LN plant.