LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A LS400 saved my life

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 04:18 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A LS400 saved my life

I have an important story to share with you…this is my story.

A little over 12 hours ago, I nearly lost my life. Last night, I was driving home from the office to see my parents, since it was Diwali on Friday. I was quite tired as it had been a hard week, and I decided to try a shortcut home to avoid some traffic. I then got lost down country lanes, I was extremely low on petrol and concerned about running out of petrol in the middle of nowhere. I couldn’t seem to find my way home, and the fatigue wasn’t letting me think straight. I started driving up a slight gradient at around 40-50mph when the left rear wheel caught the grass verge. Next the back of the car seemed to become unstable, and started moving to the right. I was fighting for control of the car, as it meandered to the other lane and back to my lane. The car seemed to be sliding at speed for what seemed like ages. The car then maintained a leftward angle and was heading for the trees on the left hand side. I didn’t even have time to scream or brake, as I realised I had lost all control of the car. I then became aware that I had forgotten to put my seatbelt on when I had set off from the office. I had no time to react, and I closed my eyes as I thought that I would be killed going through the windscreen. What happened next is still a mystery, but going on the car wreckage, I shouldn’t be here writing this story. A miracle occurred. I must have blacked out since the next thing I remember is hearing the sound of the radio, seeing other car’s headlights through the broken windscreen, and wondering why I could feel the sunroof with my hands. It was then that I realised I was upside down and stuck in the car. I knew I had to get out of the car immediately. Physically, I didn’t feel any pain or discomfort. I pressed the horn at intervals to attract attention, since I couldn’t see any headlights stopping. There was a tree in front of the windscreen so I couldn’t exit that way, there was something blocking the driver’s door. I leaned over to the passenger door and tried the handle and the door managed to open, and I crawled out onto the grass verge. It was then that I saw the car upside down, broken glass, metal all mangled, lights still on, and trees all around me, It seemed like a scene out of the movies, as about 5 or 6 motorists had stopped down this deserted unlit country lane to help and me crawling out of an upside down car that was a wreck. They all gathered around me, and asked if I was ok. One of them had called an ambulance thinking I was hurt or even dead given the nature of the accident. I was completely unhurt, not even a scratch. The police and ambulance crew all huddled around and just couldn’t believe I walked out alive with no injuries. They kept asking, do you feel pain anywhere? I said no, I’m just shaken up and disoriented. I was sent to hospital just to be sure, but I was given the all clear.
I am SO lucky, I really thought my time was up. I don’t remember the car rolling over, and it’s a miracle that I didn’t end up being hurled through the windscreen.
Perhaps, I’m meant to be here for a reason, and it’s a very profound experience for me. Remember that life is precious and we must never take each other for granted. Make the most of every moment in life, as anything can happen. Don’t hesitate to tell those who mean the most to you how much you love them. Don’t wait for an experience like this to happen to you to make you appreciate what you have got. God bless.
Old 11-12-04, 04:36 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up That's an amazing story...

It's good to hear you came out of it unharmed...you're an extremely lucky person to walk away from what you described. I completely agree with you that life shouldn't be taken for granted as I have been in those near death situations a couple of times...except in one of my cases, it was a '87 E-class that saved my life and not my LS400. I suggest that you go get checked up by a doctor later on for possible injuries, as you may still be in shock right and not notice anything now.

Chalk another one up for the well built construction of the LS.

As usermel would say... "GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!"

Last edited by BR1AN; 11-12-04 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-12-04, 07:21 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW So glad your OK. Thank you for sharing, and Yes you must be here to do more than you have already! Stay safe!!

The good thing is now you can buy a new car!!!
Old 11-12-04, 12:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

How terrifying...glad you pulled through this encounter.
Old 11-12-04, 07:07 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, your lucky to be alive, from your description, it seemed like a scene from a SCARY movie.
Old 11-12-04, 07:49 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for sharing your story. glad ur ok
Old 11-12-04, 09:46 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes glad that your ok and you or nobody else was hurt very tramatic accident i hope all is well for you in the future are you going to buy another lexus ???
Old 11-12-04, 10:24 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the messages guys. I am still in shock, and it hasn't quite sunk in yet, and I feel like being alive is a dream, since the last thing I remember before blacking out was that I was about to go through the windscreen. Recovery takes time I guess.

One way of filling in the time is shopping for a new ride. Everyone used to question why I drove such a big car, and I resisted all pressure to drive a small sensible car. I'm glad I went with my instincts!

One thing bothers me is that I don't understand how by clipping the grass verge on one rear wheel, my car lost so much grip it led to a 15 second skidding ordeal which ultimately led to the car hitting the tree and rolling. Maybe I'll never figure it out. The road was dry, maybe it was just an oily patch of grass I clipped.

A LS430 is definitely up there on my shopping list, along with an Audi S8. I quite fancy the reassurance of four wheel drive after this accident. Luxury models are real cheap at the moment in the UK, given everyone's preoccupation with buying Xmas gifts..
Old 11-12-04, 11:24 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

wow, i thought u said 12 years ago, i just re-read the "12 hours" part
Old 11-13-04, 10:12 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
wow, i thought u said 12 years ago, i just re-read the "12 hours" part

i thought i was the only one that thought it was 12 yrs at first. made the story confusing till i reread the beginning
Old 11-14-04, 12:49 AM
unrealii
Driver

Wow, glad you are alive!

Happy Diwali & Saal mubharak!
Old 11-15-04, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

damn what a story! glad that you are alive! it's definiltey a miracle!

take care of yourself now
Old 11-15-04, 03:38 AM
cschow
Rookie

Originally posted by brit_lex
One thing bothers me is that I don't understand how by clipping the grass verge on one rear wheel, my car lost so much grip it led to a 15 second skidding ordeal which ultimately led to the car hitting the tree and rolling. Maybe I'll never figure it out. The road was dry, maybe it was just an oily patch of grass I clipped.

A LS430 is definitely up there on my shopping list, along with an Audi S8. I quite fancy the reassurance of four wheel drive after this accident. Luxury models are real cheap at the moment in the UK, given everyone's preoccupation with buying Xmas gifts..
If what you mean by your accident is that you dropped the inside rear wheel off the road/shoulder and onto the grass which, at least in the US is generally a few inches below the level of the road, the answer most likely lies in what happened when you tried to recover.

At the track we're taught that dropping 1, and especially 2 wheels off the road is a serious incident and one should generally let the car slow to a stop if possible and then recover off the side of the road back onto the track surface only when traffic permit, and from a stop. The side of the road, being somewhat higher than off-road, may "hook" onto the inside portion of your tire. If your're going even at a surprisingly low speed (e.g., 25 mph) that can generate enough force to roll the car. I'v seen someone almost roll their pick-up truck exactly that way about 2 years ago while I was about 50 yards behind him and we were both going about 30 mph due to heavy traffic. Sad thing was as soon as I saw him drop 2 wheels off the road I knew what would happen if he tried to steer right back onto the road and 2 seconds later he almost flipped.

Whether you're driving a 4-wheel drive vs a 2-wheel drive vehicle wouldn't have affect what happened once the decision was made to recover in the manner in which it was executed.
Old 11-15-04, 10:06 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, that's an amazing story you have! It's incredible you walked away unharmed, you are truely a lucky guy. Very good to hear you were not hurt
Old 11-15-04, 10:16 AM
LexFather

Man, that was very detailed and amazing. You are blessed. Being I totaled a Lexus and also walked out without a scratch, they are truly safe vehicles.

Quick Reply: A LS400 saved my life