ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Why get the Ultra Luxury? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/132346-why-get-the-ultra-luxury.html)

houstonnw 08-31-04 08:30 PM

Why get the Ultra Luxury?

I usually drive my car. The idea that the back seats recline and have massage doesn't interest me, in fact, I'm probably jealous of whomever is back there.

Since my kids are 8 and 4, and still in booster seats, and couldn't appreciate the features anyway...

Sorry, rant off. ;)

Seriously, I find that the additional features from the Custom Lux to the Ultra Lux all seem to benefit the back seat passengers. There can't be that many LS430's driven by chauffeurs, can there?

XeroK00L 08-31-04 09:16 PM

Very true. I never understood why Lexus decides that the massage function should be reserved only for the rear passengers. Even the S-Class offers it on all 4 seats.:confused:

On the other hand, while there may not be many LS430's driven by chauffeurs, there can be many LS430 owners who simply want the top-of-the-line and the best of the best, more of an emotional thing (the wow-factor) than a sensible one.;)

TRD-bB 08-31-04 09:43 PM

Re: Why get the Ultra Luxury?

Originally posted by houstonnw

There can't be that many LS430's driven by chauffeurs, can there? [/B]
That's true in US, but I believe a lot of LSs around the world are driven by chauffeurs.
And as XeroKOOL says, there's the wow factor for buying the top of the line model.

When I see a MB S600, do you really need that supercharged V12 on the congested L.A. freeways?
It's not like it can go any faster than the Chevy Geo next to it......... :)

Horta 09-01-04 07:41 AM

The reason Why I would want the UL is for the Air Suspension. It is ONLY availabel in the UL.

caliness 09-01-04 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Horta
The reason Why I would want the UL is for the Air Suspension. It is ONLY availabel in the UL.
You sure know your LS430's!!

Horta 09-01-04 10:17 AM

If I could aford it I would have one today! The wife would kill me if i traded in my Paid Off pefectly maintained LS400 for a $700 or more car payment!

lynhnn 09-01-04 11:32 AM

I love the UL and that's the only reason I took home a used LS430 instead of a brand new one at the same price range.
- Radar Laser Cruise Control is the top choice!
- Door closer is another
- Variable Air Suspension with reduced coefficient of drag is added value.

caliness 09-01-04 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Horta
If I could aford it I would have one today! The wife would kill me if i traded in my Paid Off pefectly maintained LS400 for a $700 or more car payment!
I agree with you. It's human nature to always want the better. But it's not smart to buy what you don't need. I learned this the hard way.

GRAND_LS 4 09-01-04 02:59 PM

Re: Re: Why get the Ultra Luxury?

Originally posted by TRD-bB
That's true in US, but I believe a lot of LSs around the world are driven by chauffeurs.
And as XeroKOOL says, there's the wow factor for buying the top of the line model.

When I see a MB S600, do you really need that supercharged V12 on the congested L.A. freeways?
It's not like it can go any faster than the Chevy Geo next to it......... :)

Correction, TWIN TURBO V12 :D

GRAND_LS 4 09-01-04 03:01 PM

The UL also has upgraded leather, roofline, laminated glass, air suspension, headlight washers.... i forgot what else.

In places like the Middle east, the UL package is standard on all LS430's, including the 18inch wheels. They are all pretty much equipped with the same options.

TRD-bB 09-01-04 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Why get the Ultra Luxury?

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
Correction, TWIN TURBO V12 :D
Really?? I always thought MB uses superchargers on their gasoline engines.
My bad :egads:

GRAND_LS 4 09-02-04 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why get the Ultra Luxury?

Originally posted by TRD-bB
Really?? I always thought MB uses superchargers on their gasoline engines.
My bad :egads:

The AMG model line up uses superchargers.

OneOfOne 09-04-04 12:14 PM

you get it because you can. the difference wholesale is only 3500 bucks. I am a gadget freak so I had to have it. I know there is no such thing as a bad ls 430 but if you can get the UL do.

blacksc400 09-23-04 05:30 PM

I waited 6 months just to find a perfect used ls430 with UL. even though i can get a less equiped ls430 for a lot less but i still waited. I am only 24 but i still appreciated the added options of the UL. the rear cooler, rear and side shades are the other option you guys did not mention.
I think it is well worth the extra cash because I really enjoyed the extra staff.:D

PAULGS430 09-23-04 05:41 PM

Hello everyone.
I am considering purchasing a LS430 UL . I have not considered the pros & cons of this decision. great thread. Gives me somthing too think about. Can I get a vote here LS430 UL or MB S-500 AMGb sport package.

Paul :thumbup:

GRAND_LS 4 09-23-04 10:47 PM

Originally posted by PAULGS430
Hello everyone.
I am considering purchasing a LS430 UL . I have not considered the pros & cons of this decision. great thread. Gives me somthing too think about. Can I get a vote here LS430 UL or MB S-500 AMGb sport package.

Paul :thumbup:

\

oh man thats tough, as much as i love the LS, the AMG package on a '03+ S-class beats the LS in the looks department. Plus Benz's are always winners with the chicks no matter how old. I guess i'll take the benz if i can get the 7year/100,000 FULL warranty.

wow, i wish i was faced with a decison like that :D

OneOfOne 09-23-04 11:37 PM

any chick you get because of your car is a skank. period. you will pay for each year of the starmark warranty over the 1 year they give you complimentary. not sure about the 100000 mile part. and only a dealer will give you the starmark. you would be surprised how many used benzes on dealer lots DONT have the starmark.the s class is better looking than any LS because the LS styling is clearly derivative of the s. the LS is also far more reliable but the s500 is quicker and faster but comes with less equipment as standard. the amg body kit is very nice and the wheels are the bomb but you still dont get as much stuff interior wise. the s class nav screen is smaller and the cd changer is IN THE TRUNK! the seats are very very comfortable however. the stereo blows compared to the mark levinson. youre also going to pay at least 75 [small town] but more likely over 100 dollars an hour for labor. if you want the benz you WILL NOT pay less or even the same as the same year UL LS 430. and the UL will have far more stuff in it. I know the benz has a big attraction but ownership will definetly open your eyes. and not positively. the UL LS 430 is a great car and a great deal. leave the skanks in the street man.

usermel 09-24-04 08:53 AM

digital_d is right!

Digital_d is correct about the Mercedes quality compared to the Lexus'. I myself have owned 2, the service by the employees and management I loved. The cars i owned just had to many issue's. I owned the ML500 and the S430, I don't need to say the price's i paid for the cars they were both high cost. People are still going by perception when it comes to Mercedes and not the present state of the cars themselves. The Benz of the past was the top of the pile in all rich folks luxury car dreams. Today it's just not the same for Benz, also not for BMW and Jag. These 3 companies(BMW,Jag, and Benz) are quality wise not even as reliable as Acura, let alone Lexus. I have been saying for the past five years to my well to do friends and working class friends that a cars quality is better than its rep. Sometimes a reputation and a cars quality are not the same. A friend of mine just decided after going back and forth with me about why he liked Benz betterthat he has given up on Mercedes. This is after 3 Benz's went south on him (SL500,S500 and another S500) and the dealer keeps trying to keep him in the Benz. He stayed because like he told me, as a child he always wanted a Benz. In his day it was the ultimate status symbol, he is 41 and Lexus and Acura werent around until he was 25-26. This is not the case for all people who were born with Benz dreams, and Lexus' sales reflect that. All age groups by this car but alot chose Benz ,BMW and Jag first then come to Lexus. I left Lexus then came back because i missed the quality. At the end of the day If any item or food or drink is better, reputation won't last long, quality will still be the ultimate judge. I just hope Lexus doesn't get to comfy and forget what got it here. Lately my car has giving me some trouble and some sounds i have never heard. I will see about that when it gets worse, if it does. Until then Lexus has an edge on Mercedes for now,it's not the 80's any more welcome to the 2000's.:thumbup: :D GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME

GRAND_LS 4 09-24-04 03:25 PM

Re: digital_d is right!

Originally posted by usermel
Digital_d is correct about the Mercedes quality compared to the Lexus'. I myself have owned 2, the service by the employees and management I loved. The cars i owned just had to many issue's. I owned the ML500 and the S430, I don't need to say the price's i paid for the cars they were both high cost. People are still going by perception when it comes to Mercedes and not the present state of the cars themselves. The Benz of the past was the top of the pile in all rich folks luxury car dreams. Today it's just not the same for Benz, also not for BMW and Jag. These 3 companies(BMW,Jag, and Benz) are quality wise not even as reliable as Acura, let alone Lexus. I have been saying for the past five years to my well to do friends and working class friends that a cars quality is better than its rep. Sometimes a reputation and a cars quality are not the same. A friend of mine just decided after going back and forth with me about why he liked Benz betterthat he has given up on Mercedes. This is after 3 Benz's went south on him (SL500,S500 and another S500) and the dealer keeps trying to keep him in the Benz. He stayed because like he told me, as a child he always wanted a Benz. In his day it was the ultimate status symbol, he is 41 and Lexus and Acura werent around until he was 25-26. This is not the case for all people who were born with Benz dreams, and Lexus' sales reflect that. All age groups by this car but alot chose Benz ,BMW and Jag first then come to Lexus. I left Lexus then came back because i missed the quality. At the end of the day If any item or food or drink is better, reputation won't last long, quality will still be the ultimate judge. I just hope Lexus doesn't get to comfy and forget what got it here. Lately my car has giving me some trouble and some sounds i have never heard. I will see about that when it gets worse, if it does. Until then Lexus has an edge on Mercedes for now,it's not the 80's any more welcome to the 2000's.:thumbup: :D GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME
I agree guys, but i had just seen 2 S500's with the AMG kit, and DAMN my bells are still ringing. They have this stance they give out thats unbelievable.... but at the end of the day, lexus diffenitly takes the prize home.

redkingjoe 04-03-05 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by houstonnw
I usually drive my car. The idea that the back seats recline and have massage doesn't interest me, in fact, I'm probably jealous of whomever is back there.

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Very true. I never understood why Lexus decides that the massage function should be reserved only for the rear passengers. Even the S-Class offers it on all 4 seats.:confused:

On the other hand, while there may not be many LS430's driven by chauffeurs, there can be many LS430 owners who simply want the top-of-the-line and the best of the best, more of an emotional thing (the wow-factor) than a sensible one.;)

i just bought a 2000LS400 with back seat massage. as we are in Hong Kong, i can understand the reasons for the back seat massage...a very high percentage of LS400/430 are driven by chauffeurs in asia.

GRAND_LS 4 04-03-05 08:48 PM

Lets see some pics of the rear center console on the 2000!!!