LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need some advice. Another stater problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 06:19 AM
Strida
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need some advice. Another stater problem?

I've been having trouble starting the car lately. This is how I usually starts the car; ( insert the key, press and hold the brake, turn the key and it starts). But lately its been like this; ( insert the key, press and hold the brake, turn the key, damn nothing , press the brake again but this time really press it hard, say a little prayer, turn the key and bingo it starts). Sometime it starts with just one try if I pump the brakes 3-4 times and then press the brake really hard.

I dont know if it is the starter or something else. Imagine my surprise when I searched and found where the starter is located I thougt the 300zx engine was hard to work on. The battery checked out fine at 12.5 volts, the alternator is also good. I can probably tackle replacing the starter and everything else that needs to be replace while there. But I dont want to go there if the starter is fine. I have to fix this soon before winter comes. I hope somebody can direct me on what to do, thank you in advance.
Old 08-24-04, 10:35 AM
caliness
Pole Position

Default Re: Need some advice. Another stater problem?

Originally posted by Strida
I've been having trouble starting the car lately. This is how I usually starts the car; ( insert the key, press and hold the brake, turn the key and it starts). But lately its been like this; ( insert the key, press and hold the brake, turn the key, damn nothing , press the brake again but this time really press it hard, say a little prayer, turn the key and bingo it starts). Sometime it starts with just one try if I pump the brakes 3-4 times and then press the brake really hard.

I dont know if it is the starter or something else. Imagine my surprise when I searched and found where the starter is located I thougt the 300zx engine was hard to work on. The battery checked out fine at 12.5 volts, the alternator is also good. I can probably tackle replacing the starter and everything else that needs to be replace while there. But I dont want to go there if the starter is fine. I have to fix this soon before winter comes. I hope somebody can direct me on what to do, thank you in advance.
Did you try starting without pumping the brakes?
Old 08-24-04, 01:26 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

why do you have to pump the brakes to start the car in the first placE?
also when you turn the key do you hear a clikc and then nothing? (do this with your windows down).
the starter is a pain to replace which im sure you already know.
Old 08-24-04, 08:45 PM
Strida
Rookie

QUOTE]Originally posted by nk1983
why do you have to pump the brakes to start the car in the first placE?
also when you turn the key do you hear a clikc and then nothing? (do this with your windows down).
the starter is a pain to replace which im sure you already know.
[/QUOTE]

Because in my 95LS you have to press the break first before turning the key to start the car. I think its some kind of a safety feature. Maybe something is not engaging when the breaks are not pressed hard. I dont know whats going on. But the thing is before I just have to press the breaks lightly to start the car. And yes I do hear that click and then nothing, also the car starts better when the engine is hot. My gut instinct tell me its the starter. But I may go to the dealer to diagnose the real problem. Unless somebody can tell me that it is the starter for sure.
Old 08-24-04, 09:06 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

oh ok i got you. well the symptoms sound very starterish. of course i dont think anyone on a forum can tell you for sure. finding out at an independent mechanic would be your best bet. make sure this has nothing to do with your batteries terminals etc. as well...good luck!