LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake light on

Old 08-03-04, 11:28 PM
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on

The brake light in my instrument cluster stays on. The one that lights up when your e-brake is engaged. I know it also comes on when you're low on brake fluid, but I'm not. Could there be any other reason for this occurence?
Old 08-04-04, 12:31 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Brake light on

Originally posted by Charles B.
The brake light in my instrument cluster stays on. The one that lights up when your e-brake is engaged. I know it also comes on when you're low on brake fluid, but I'm not. Could there be any other reason for this occurence?
Sounds as if your emergency brake cable is sticking, usually it's in the e-brake foot cable mechanism hinge. With the e-brake handle released try pulling the brake pedal up more to see if it's releasing it all the way. If the light goes off you have found the culprit, the entire hinge mechanism needs lubricating.

Let us know if that solves the problem.
Old 08-04-04, 12:25 PM
buttons
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray WD-40 up in there; I do about every 4 months.
Old 08-05-04, 03:03 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a gas strut in the parking brake assembly. The purpose of this strut is to push the parking brake pedal toward the driver seat when the parking brake is released. Apparently this strut loses its charge over time (the same way the hood struts lose theirs).

Just get into the habit of putting your left foot behind the parking brake pedal and pulling it toward you. Putting oil on the friction points in the assembly also helps - but not for long.
Old 08-05-04, 05:27 PM
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried pulling the e-brake pedal up with the e-brake handle released and the light still stays on. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-06-04, 09:53 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Is it on as soon as you start the car or it goes on when you put your foot on the brake pedal to shift into gear? If it happens after you put your foot on the brake pedal, the brake sensor might be worn out. Also, after releasing the e-brake try to pull the handle few more times with pulling the e-brake pedal up with your foot, in case it is the release mechanism that's sticking.
Old 08-16-04, 09:09 PM
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

It comes on as soon as i turn on the car. What does it mean in that case?
Old 08-16-04, 10:42 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Charles B.
It comes on as soon as i turn on the car. What does it mean in that case?
Did you recently have new brake shoes placed on your car?
Whether you did or not, see if your mechanic is able to adjust the emergency brake cable at the rear wheel while the car is on a hydraulic lift.
Old 08-17-04, 06:48 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Go to the Lexus parts dept and ask them this question. They are usually pretty good with answering questions like this and i think they'll be able to tell you possible reasons as to why this is happenning.
I've been to my local Lexus and they are always helpfull in the parts dept. But the service dept will tell you that they need to look at the car, so go straight to parts and ask them whether or not they can suggest what could be possibly wrong and that you are intending to purchase the replacement part if they can pinpoint what part it is that needs to be replaced.
Old 08-17-04, 02:10 PM
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
Did you recently have new brake shoes placed on your car?
Whether you did or not, see if your mechanic is able to adjust the emergency brake cable at the rear wheel while the car is on a hydraulic lift.
I put new brake pads in the front. Does the car have to be on a hydraulic lift to adjust the e-brake cable or can I do it myself?
Old 08-17-04, 06:00 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

You can do it with a jack or by just squeezing under the car if you know what your doing.

Next time you use your E-Brake, put the car in drive (with the e-brake engaged) and slightly step on the gas in order to feel how well it holds the car from launching forward. Curious to know how tight it is and report back.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-17-04 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-03-22, 05:27 PM
MiIdlyToxi
3rd Gear

Default Is this still a issue..

Originally Posted by Charles B.
​​​​​​ Not sure if u ever figured it out, or still have the. Car, but I got one recently, and the parking brake light was on, now it's not grabbing super strong, but it was fully coming back to me even with a bad shock, I ended up looking down there and there's the sensor, I believe it's supposed to have some sort of rubber piece on it, and mine had just fallen off, once you put that back on it works fine, but without it it will slip through a hole on the pedal