LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to the forums... with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 11:47 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums... with questions...

First, I'm glad I found this place as my '96 needs some TLC. lol It has around 175K.

First off, my cats are dead. I need new ones BUT I'm highly considering running catless (spare me any lecture professors out there) and need to know what MIL eliminator/O2 Sim I need to purchase to be rid of the light. Or is it possible to have the ECU reflashed (and tuned) to turn these off (I did that on my Z71)? If elimination of them isn't feasable...has anyone had new converters installed?

Next, one of the studs broke off on my exhaust manifold how, I do not know but now I have a nice exhaust leak on the manifold. So, is there a gasket between the manifold and catpipe? I'm thinking on just drilling the bolt (what's left of it) out or trying an EZ-Out...what does everyone think on that?

I need a few new bulbs for the dash area...already posted in that forum for an exploded diagram. Had the auto rebuilt around 15K mi ago...converter took a dump.

Struts and springs... I'm certain these hardly work anymore. Any good quality replacements that won't break the bank available? What about springs... should I change them? Stick with my stockers? See if GS400 ones?

My power steering leaks...it's the pressure hose. Any places to get this other than the stealer?

For some reason the rotors are warped. I'm unsure if it is the rear or front but alas I will need new ones. Any recommendations on some that will not warp easily?

Timing chain/belt... my is STOCK. But to avoid problems, I'd like to change this. I'd consider myself an intermediate level mechanic (done one motor swap, few top end rebuilds on pushrod motors tho) and wonder how much of an undertaking this would be for me?

Lastly, what is around in the performance realm for this car? Any air intakes, ECU upgrades? I'd figure those would yield a nice 12-15rwhp or so. Not looking to make this a rocket but a lil more pep would be okay with me.

THANKS!
Old 07-13-04, 12:07 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

2 words for ya buddy, preventative maintenance
Old 07-13-04, 02:00 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
2 words for ya buddy, preventative maintenance

3 for you... Not my car.

Belongs to a member in my immediate family. I told them to gimme some cash and I can fix it.
Old 07-13-04, 11:38 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Hit Man X
3 for you... Not my car.

Belongs to a member in my immediate family. I told them to gimme some cash and I can fix it.
I was only kidding with ya bud. Take it easy
Old 07-13-04, 11:47 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

I know man, not to fret...I'm not a total *******. lol I'm just lookin' for a place to start/advice. I am more than able to wrench...done a few motor swaps on domestic small blocks and two top end rebuilds (turbo Buick and a 472 cadillac)

Old 07-14-04, 11:48 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my brother Nick T 6 hrs of actual work total of 12 hrs to do the timing belt on the 99 LS400. Didn't have the tools to change the cam and crank seals... You do need to have the shop manual to do this kind of work.

Are you sure the timing belt is original at 174K mi.
Old 07-14-04, 01:59 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Originally posted by VQT
Took my brother Nick T 6 hrs of actual work total of 12 hrs to do the timing belt on the 99 LS400. Didn't have the tools to change the cam and crank seals... You do need to have the shop manual to do this kind of work.

Are you sure the timing belt is original at 174K mi.

She's had the car since around 55K, it was a certified Preowned...so I'm almost certain they are still OE. I know she's never changed the timing belt.

I assume all the accy's will have to come off the front end nay? That's where most of the per hour labor would go...getting it all torn down for the new belts. Any ideas where I can find a shop manual?

BTW... I'd love to know where the fuel filter is on this vehicle too...

Thanks!
Old 07-14-04, 06:47 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I got my shop manual from Carson Toyota. Call 800-908-6968 ask for gordon migiuel(sp) or Steve Ganz.
There are other places to buy Lexus parts also. do the search in this and the SC forum for more dealer selling Lexus parts. Shop for price before you dive into it. Remember this thig is not cheap.

You will also need to order from Carson Toyota (Gordon) spark plugs, wires, caps and rotors two each (I don't know if 96 still use those). Cam seals, crank seal, water pump, timing belt, drive belt, thermostat, radiator hoses, trans fluid and Toyota radiator fluid... Don't know if I miss anything else.

My brother is not a mechanic and did the work in a relax pace. Do you have a compressor and air tools to take the harmonic balancer nut out? If you don't, you will have to take the radiator out and rent the chain thingy at autozone/pepboy to hold the pulley in place. I wouldn't pay anyone I don't trust to do this work
Old 07-14-04, 08:40 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Excellent info! how much did the shop manual cost you? I've budgeting around $200 in parts for the car for the timing belt swap.

Is it best to stay with OE for most parts? I'm used to the massive aftermarket for domestic vehicles is why I ask. I still need struts as well as springs too for this vehicle.

Yes I have a fair collection of air tools at my garage in Houston.
Old 07-14-04, 10:12 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent info! how much did the shop manual cost you? I've budgeting around $200 in parts for the car for the timing belt swap.

Is it best to stay with OE for most parts? I'm used to the massive aftermarket for domestic vehicles is why I ask. I still need struts as well as springs too for this vehicle.

Yes I have a fair collection of air tools at my garage in Houston.
It's a good idea to stay OEM on Toyota/Lexus cars. But sometimes you can get away with aftermarket parts for things like spark plugs, shocks, and sometimes filters, as Denso, NGK, KYB, and Tokico parts are fairly easy to get at a mom and pop shop.
Old 07-14-04, 11:07 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

My thinking on going aftermarket for struts would be to save cash over an OE part as they are typically very pricey. I do not need anything performance wise, just nice quality replacements.
Old 07-14-04, 11:16 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My thinking on going aftermarket for struts would be to save cash over an OE part as they are typically very pricey. I do not need anything performance wise, just nice quality replacements.
go with Tokico, but sometimes dealer can be cheaper than aftermarket. Stay away from Monroe or Gabriel on these cars.
Old 07-15-04, 07:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

The shop manual alone cost close to $200. I paid ~ $600 total for parts I think.

~$10 each for a sparkplug, there is a more expensive one at ~$12 each...

Prepare to spend ~ $800 for this timing belt job

I think that cost included a case of trans. fluid, 2 gallons antifreeze...

For 96 you need two caps, ~$15 each, two rotors ~$7 each
Wires ~$200?

Just remember you also need to order the idlers and tensioner for the timing belt. Make sure that you have all the idlers and one tensioner before working on the car...

Last edited by VQT; 07-15-04 at 08:03 AM.