LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

brake bleeding from service manual 93LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-04, 12:19 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake bleeding from service manual 93LS

I need to have the brake system properly bled in the 93 LS400 and I'm positive that the dealership is not doing a good job doing this. So I want to do this by taking it to an independent mech. but I want the steps followed as described in the service manual.
could someone please post that information here. More over, will the electric scanner attached to the ABS actuator needed to do proper bleeding or can it be done the old fashioned way without the computer scanner attached to simulate the pressure in the individual lines ?
I've done the search and there are some posts on bleeding brakes. But i want to make sure I get the procedure on the LS. So far the only bleeder screws I've seen are two that are the following. One on the proportioning valve, and one right next to the master cylinder. They both have the red caps. Does that mean they're both for the ABS system ?
Old 05-31-04, 02:00 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

anyone ?
Old 06-03-04, 10:24 PM
awinata
Driver School Candidate

I did mine (bleed the brake lines) on one of my Lexus a few days ago. You need a plier to remove the rubber cap, a 10mm wrench to loosen and re-tighten the screw, and brake fluid. You also need a helper to depress (and hold) the brake pedal while you loosen the screw (to let the brake fluid out) and re-tighten the screw (before letting go the brake pedal). Make sure you do NOT let go the brake pedal before you re-tighten the screw (or air will get suck in into the system). I did mine 6 to 7 tmes per wheel. The screw is located behind each wheel (with a rubber cap)... easier to access if you remove your tire first. I did mine from the furthest wheel (from the driver seat) to the closest. Also make sure you always have enough brake fluid in the reservoir.
Old 06-06-04, 08:30 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bleeding procedures from the service manual are as follows:

1. Fill reservoir with brake fluid. Fluid: SAE J1703 or FMVSS No. 116DOT3.
2. Bleed master cylinder.
Hint: If the master cylinder has been disassembled or if the reservoir becomes empty, bleed the air
from the master cylinder.
(a) Disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder.
(b) Slowly depress the brake pedal and hold it.
(c) Block off the outer holes with your fingers, and release the brake pedal.
(d) Repeat (b) and (c) three or four times.
3. Bleed brake line
(a) Connect the vinyl tube to the brake caliper.
(b) Depress the brake pedal several times, then loosen the bleeder plug with the pedal held down.
(c) At the point where fluid stops coming out, tighten the bleeder plug, then release the brake pedal.
(d) Repeat (b) and (c) until all the air in the fluid has been bled out.
(e) Repeat the above procedure to bleed the air out of the brake line for each wheel.
Torque: 11 N.m (110 kgf.cm, 8 ft.lbf)
4. Check fluid level in reservoir.
Check the fluid level and add fluid if necessary.
Old 06-06-04, 09:32 AM
awinata
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting the proper way of bleeding the brake system. I do not have access to a repair manual.

Asher
Old 06-06-04, 11:21 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

CuMan,
great posting. very helpful indeed.
most of the times the different posts talk about bench bleeding the master cylinder by taking it out. Ths is a much easier way of doing it by simply disconnecting the lines and leaving it there.
thnx.