LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which would you take?
1990 Lexus LS400
39.71%
2001 Lexus IS300(auto)
60.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Would you trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 07:29 PM
SRK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll probably get smoked for this, but I drove an IS for a day a while back. Cool at first, but by the end of the day, it was just like any other little Japanese car - good fun for sure, but it didn't jump out at me anymore. The LS though - that one impresses me every single time I drive it. Two completely different cars, and only one reveals the real Lexus in my mind. Keep the LS and move up to a newer one when you can.
Old 05-12-04, 08:35 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

You see, I tend to agree with you SRK, but I get slammed and slammed hard for thinking this way! But the IS does have it's merits, from a handling/braking stand point, as well as maintainence. Big time on the latter. . . but everytime I drive the LS, I love it more and more. I was zippin through traffic at crazy speeds(but safely ) today and I have no problem handling this car whatsoever. But I'm wondering if I can grow to love the IS, or if I will regret the trade for a very long time. . .
Old 05-13-04, 10:41 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

This is an easy one!
Trade for the IS, then sell the IS, buy another older LS and have money left to burn on goodies.....
Old 05-13-04, 05:02 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade it.
Old 05-13-04, 08:18 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

LS 8 votes, IS 7 so far. . . wow. A 15 year old car can still hold its own. Tells you how well these things were built. I'm honestly leaning towards the IS. Unless I see the tally on the LS jump by 4-5 votes, I think I have my mind set.
Old 05-13-04, 09:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You know what this means...a GS. You can have it in 6 or 8.
Old 05-15-04, 09:06 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Be unique and fix up that LS.
Old 05-15-04, 11:06 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Isn't there a value discrepency between the two cars? For a striaght trade, this seems too good.
Old 05-15-04, 07:04 PM
Strida
Rookie

Originally posted by RA40
Isn't there a value discrepency between the two cars? For a striaght trade, this seems too good.
2nd that. I call BS on this deal. If I find a deal like that I'll trade my 95LS in a sec. & sell the IS and get me a 99LS.
Old 05-16-04, 08:39 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default which one?

Originally posted by Strida
2nd that. I call BS on this deal. If I find a deal like that I'll trade my 95LS in a sec. & sell the IS and get me a 99LS.
I voted for the IS300 for the reason above. Trade then sell it for another LS thats a liitle newer. You may have enough cash left over to put some nice wheels on it.
Old 05-16-04, 10:39 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Ok guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner. . . been gone for the weekend. I assure you, no BS. It's not a straight trade you see. The IS will be *given* as payment for some work (for family) as they have left the country and need someone to sell the left over property and furniture. They no longer have any use for the car anyway. But they don't want to throw away a car, so they want me to sell my LS and give them what I can get for it. I, on the other hand, am relatively poor right now and won't be able to afford a new car anytime soon. So if I trade, I won't see my LS ever again . You guys are totally right about it being a good deal, I agree, but if you look at some of the responses, I'm not the only one who is hesitating. . . or would I mean? But anyway, if you've driven an IS, you'd know that the interiors are bleh and the main quality of that car is its SUPERB handling (and its age advantage over my LS). Even a 90 LS has an incredible drive with lots of room inside, not to mention the feel and sound of a V8. There are a lot of people who have voted and told me to keep the LS. But I feel you guys have a more reasonable argument. The value of the trade, and just the $$$ gained in the process is so extreme, not to mention a MUCH newer car, I'd be an idiot not to trade on those terms. I feel like ***** gitting rid of the LS though, because I love my car, and I have kept it in almost perfect condition. So you see this is not a straight trade to answer your question. I like to think as if I earn my way, even though its not true hehehe, but one can always be ignorant. So I think that about sums everything up. Thanks to everyone for responding and being helpful. I love CL! I'm glad I will at least still be in the Lexus family.
Old 05-16-04, 10:42 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Oh, and I trading the IS for another LS is a great idea, but I don't buy used. . . ever. Unless I knew the previous owner like he were my first born son, I would not buy it. The trade is in family and I do know the previous owner, heheheh. But no exceptions, I have been screwed on used and it's not worth the gamble to me
Old 05-17-04, 03:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default trade

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
Oh, and I trading the IS for another LS is a great idea, but I don't buy used. . . ever. Unless I knew the previous owner like he were my first born son, I would not buy it. The trade is in family and I do know the previous owner, heheheh. But no exceptions, I have been screwed on used and it's not worth the gamble to me
This is why the old saying, "different strokes for diff folks" is so true. I for one, wouldn't buy another new car unless I had millions of dollars. Why...we all know cars depreciate tremendously after just driving off the lot. We all know that a Lexus should last as long used as other cars new. We all know that Lexus has a very good pre-owned program (at least JM Lexus does). I can easily afford (thanks) most average new cars, why not get a Lexus for the same price...especially if a warranty comes with it. I may change my thinking one day but not today. I have had the pleasure of owning a benz, 2 infiniti's and 2 lexus's. I got them all pre-owned. Don't regret it one bit. I had 2 new camaro's, a new ford, 2 new nissan's...they don't compare to my used luxury cars. Yes, you have to be smart when purchasing used...that's makes it more fun. The dickering, the research, the chase...so much fun.
Old 05-17-04, 04:05 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Oh I totally understand your point. . . and I guess I meant the general used catagory rather than CPO, but even then I worry. Financially it makes more sense to by used, and luxury cars tend to be less abused than others. If I ever did buy used it would be Lexus or Infiniti. I will have money to buy a new car, just not at least for another 3 years or so. . . and I'm confident that the LS could survive, and the IS no doubt could last even longer. But in general there is a rather high risk(unless CPO) buying used, not that used is bad, I'm just emphasizing risk. Especially on newer models, the type of guy who buys a new car and dumps it doesn't have much sense, and if he does have sense there is usually something wrong with the car. This is hardly always the case. . . and if you find a good deal you are far better off than buying new. My business relies on reliable transportation (why I love Lexus) and I can't risk a vehicle dying on me, even if I save $5k. Well $5k, hahah that's pretty tempting too, but the point is that buying new does have its advantage, and especially if you plan on keeping a car till the day it is worthless, then it may be a good option. But as you said "different strokes for diff folks," you are absolutely correct.
To sum up things I will acquiring the IS in about 3-4 months. . . and my old 90 will probably be up in the classifieds sometime soon.

Actually there is one used model that sparks my interest. . . an NSX mmmm, maybe hahaha I'm so stubborn yet I change opinions quite fast hahaha.
Old 05-17-04, 04:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default used?

The way you say you took care of the old 90 makes it an interesting prospect. How much you gonna ask for?

Quick Reply: Would you trade?