LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

For those who want performance + luxury

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 04:16 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default For those who want performance + luxury

Have a look at this. I am currently installing this little toy on my car. You can basically keep your stock exhaust and have a crazy-sounding better performing car when you need it. Besides it is cheaper then buying an exhaust. Hope mr jbrady would tell us what he thinks about it too.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
Old 03-27-04, 05:26 PM
Lvangundy

Hmm. What about proper flow? If the first opens (at a sharp angle) doesn't SOME of the exhaust gas go out both ways? There's nothing to stop it from going through the mufflers too.
Old 03-27-04, 07:12 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of the older version I had on my 1969 roadrunner.......Beep Beep. LOL

Now its more high tech.......... hope it works out good for you.
Old 03-27-04, 09:27 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Hmm. What about proper flow? If the first opens (at a sharp angle) doesn't SOME of the exhaust gas go out both ways? There's nothing to stop it from going through the mufflers too.
First of all, it is not installed at sharp angle. Secondly, it does not matter in the gasses go to the exhausts too. With valve open the flow increases drastically.
Old 03-27-04, 11:38 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now my list of things to buy is one item longer, this is just too cool! I love having a super quiet ride, but sometimes I want power so this looks like a great solution. Keep us posted with the results and nice find
Old 03-28-04, 09:55 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted Retro.
I for one am interested how it works out.
Old 03-28-04, 10:50 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

they used to have these where you could do this by hand... you would underneath the car and open the valve by hand. Its the same thing as this, I remember Lexkost telling me something about it. Sounds pretty cool.
Old 03-28-04, 11:12 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the older style has those butterfly nuts on them that you can loosen up when you go to the track to have the "open exhaust" setup.

With this "e-cut out" you dont have to jack the car up to get underneath it, you just flip a switch..

alot of the turbocharged Hondas use that unit. Here are some links from Honda-Tech.com. Some people say that when it gets extremely hot the unit sticks...so I dont know.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=773458

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=712042
Old 03-28-04, 01:00 PM
anks106
Driver School Candidate

the grand prix guys use these and similar products a lot. The qtec is the low end of the electronic cutouts, the quality of that unit is laughable.. go for a mccords power plate.. and also put a shield under it so that sediment and rain dont get in it.. those have killed hundreds of qtec motors for GP guys.. also you will lose low end torque.. jbrady felt it would not be worth it for quartermile racing when i asked a few weeks ago..
Old 04-01-04, 12:06 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

retrodrive, That is too much money for the set-up ................I have seen a cable set-up version for hundreds less................I think Summit Racing Equipment sells them...
Old 04-05-04, 03:38 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Hey did you or anybody else try it out yet? I actually was really close to buying something very very similar off of JCWhitney. . . it was the exact same thing, except it was manually activated via a cable, like the choke on old carbs, instead of electronically activated. A bit of advice. . . if you cannot get it to fit, you may have to remove the center resonator in the middle and put it in its place. These things have been around for awhile(like 30 years) and I have heard from a few people that they are prone to leaks/whine. I'm not sure how true that is, but a small leak would likely cause a lot of noise. I'm really curious about how it actually does sound. . .
Old 05-02-04, 04:13 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Default Re: For those who want performance + luxury

Originally posted by retrodrive
Have a look at this. I am currently installing this little toy on my car. You can basically keep your stock exhaust and have a crazy-sounding better performing car when you need it. Besides it is cheaper then buying an exhaust. Hope mr jbrady would tell us what he thinks about it too.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
Keep us update if it actually gives any gains. Try to do a dyno before and after even though I know you've said you don't want to do a dyno yet.
Old 05-02-04, 04:46 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

I dont think the price is too shabby..I want one! but...
I'll wait and see how it goes with retro being the guinea pig..
Old 05-02-04, 05:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

My setup is so different that it won't really tell you how much you can gain.
Old 05-06-04, 12:37 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Pete...

How about an update on the LS300T?

Quick Reply: For those who want performance + luxury