ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   History of the LS/Lexus (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/116152-history-of-the-ls-lexus.html)

brent0226 04-07-04 03:00 PM

History of the LS/Lexus

I have read on several car forums that Lexus did tons and tons of research and prototypes before coming up with the original LS400. Does anyone know of any websites that explain in detail the birth of Lexus and the development of the original LS400? Thanks!

DaveGS4 04-07-04 03:03 PM

Not a lot of detail here, but I always found this timeline neat.

http://www.lexus.com/about/history/index_1997_1983.html

Mandingo 04-07-04 03:33 PM

History of Lexus

Horta 04-07-04 07:21 PM

Has anybody bought this book?

LS430inTX 04-07-04 09:48 PM

Yes.

Horta 04-08-04 07:20 AM

Ok well then the next question is How good is it. I have read once a long article how Toyota created the LS engine first then built the best 4 door car around it and thats how the LS400 was to be. Somthing like that.

I am a car book and magazine collector and a totaly Lexus Nut. WOuld this be a great addition to my collection?

Thanks for the input

Jerry

azari 04-08-04 08:23 AM

I did my final research paper for my colleg English course on this very subject. My thesis was about the evolution of the Lexus brand into one of the most recongnized names in the car industry, and LS's enormous contribution to this very achievement (mostly the first generation LS car, and some of the unprescedented measures they took to build this car to make a big impression on consumers and the industry, thus establishing themselves as one of the best luxury car manufacturers). My average for the class was a B; but once I turned this paper in for final, professor gave me an A for the course. If I find the disk on which I saved it, I'll let you read it. But, yea, there are some unthikable measures that Toyota took to build the first LS.

azari 04-08-04 08:30 AM

horta, I think it would make an excellent collection for any Lexus enthusiast. It's a GREAT book; it has lots of detailed facts about Lexus cars in general, but mostly on the LS (flagship). Not to mention the many interesting pictures included in the book.

Horta 04-08-04 10:38 AM

azari

Yeah I remeber when you were doing your research for the papaer. I tried emailing you all my old articles on 90-95 LS400s. I still have all that stuff here at my desk.

I will ask my wife to buy me the book for my birthday. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jerry

Lvangundy 04-08-04 10:40 AM

Book is awesome, I also have some press release information sent out in 1989 or 1990. It has the original slide photos and printed text with all the desigers' company photos.

Horta 04-08-04 11:21 AM

I have a origininal Car n Driver or Road n Track from 1989 when Lexus and Infinit did their first press realease. It has some good info. I alos have almost every article writtin on LS400s in RnT, Cand D, and Motor Trend.

But I always want more info on the LS.

azari 04-08-04 12:06 PM

Horta,

I should've given you credit for providing me with that information in the magazines. It was great, thanks again. :) And yes, get the book, it's just excellent and i'm sure you'll LOVE it. The author takes you through a journey, from Toyota's early days (in 1930's) and brings you nicely to the birth of the Lexus (and how that whole idea began). And then, tells the story of the first lexus (LS) in great detail, and goes through its evolution as a company (latter model additions), while keeping up, in detail, with the changes made from generation to generation to the LS car.

LS430inTX 04-08-04 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While the book does cover the LS in detail, it, by no means, is the focus of the book.

Here is a quick scan of the table of contents:

spxChrome 04-10-04 11:26 PM

I just wanted to tell Horta that he has a nice ride. I love that 98 body style and he gots it clean looking in that pic :D