LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Break Wear Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 09:58 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Break Wear Warning

What do I have to do for the Warning light to go off, and the corresponding code below it stating Brake Wear? Car has only 25K miles, and brakes seem fine. Also, was there a recall on the 2001 LS430 for a break rotor? related?
Old 03-24-04, 09:37 AM
mtsao
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. In cars equipped with brake pad(lining) wear warnings, there is usually a sensor mounted on the pad. As the brake pad wears down, eventually, the outer surface of the sensor wears away as well and the circuit is then grounded and voila, your brake warning light comes on. When the pads are replaced, the sensors that are worn need to be replaced as well, or your brake wear warning will continue to be illuminated.

Unless there's some other problem with your brake system, you shouldn't really feel anything different when the warning comes on. Some pads will also begin to screech a high metallic whine to serve as an audible warning that it's time to replace the brake pads. In other words, the brakes may seem fine, but that doesn't mean that you can drive another 10k miles.

I don't know about the recall, but I doubt that it's related...having driven 25k miles on your car, it's simply time to replace your brake pads.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 03-24-04, 04:32 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

sorry, meant to imply that I believe the first step was changing the brakes already, was there another piece you are referring to?
Old 03-24-04, 08:52 PM
mtsao
Driver

Do you mean that you've changed the pads, but the warning light is still on? If so, it's likely because you reinstalled a sensor (onto the new brake pad) that that had already worn past the insulation.

I'm not sure the sequence of events here. Did the light come on, and then you changed the pads, but the light remains on? Or, did you changed the brake pads, and then the light came on?

Mike
Old 03-25-04, 08:24 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

light on, changed pads, light still on
Old 03-25-04, 08:34 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I cannot believe that Lexus does this , but the wear sensor now needs to be replaced or repaired.

Terrible design in my opinion. There are old post here of people who were able to make a solder repair to their "triggered " sensor. This did not work for me and I was unwilling to pay for the new Sensor ( something like $95.00 at full price for 1!!) so I extinguished the warning light and moved on.

damon
Old 03-25-04, 08:59 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

I searched, couldn't find anything
Old 03-25-04, 11:29 AM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by damon
I cannot believe that Lexus does this , but the wear sensor now needs to be replaced or repaired.

Terrible design in my opinion. There are old post here of people who were able to make a solder repair to their "triggered " sensor. This did not work for me and I was unwilling to pay for the new Sensor ( something like $95.00 at full price for 1!!) so I extinguished the warning light and moved on.

damon
$95, really?! I know that early model Bimmers as well as late model MBs have the same sensors, but they're only about $10 apiece, tops, and the vehicle only had 1 per axle.

Last edited by mtsao; 03-25-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-25-04, 01:48 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default Part #'s

My search results:

These are $66.10 each at a discount price.

Part # 47771-50030 Front
Rear: 47771-50040 Rear

Self Repair Method:

Don't know who to credit the below solution to:

"I repaired my wear sensors, no more warning light. At $120 each for a consumable, I'd rather disable the system like 2UX31 YM did. But by simply adding a layer of solder to the face of the sensor, contact was restored and the sensor should function as it did before. When the sensor hits the rotor and wears off the solder, contact will be broken again causing the warning light".

Good luck, damon

Last edited by damon; 03-25-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-25-04, 01:53 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Old Lexozz Post:

Did not know that there were only 2 sensors, both on passenger side.

"Man I wish I had the digi cam when I did this. I also had a problem with the brake light, the dealer wanted over $100 bucks for a piece of looped copper wire with a harness attatched. Hell no (better said: no f$#king way). There are only 2 sensors, both on psngr side front & rear. The front is very easy to repair if you know how to solder. It's just a piece of looped copper wire with a ceramic molding around it. When that wire breaks light comes on; in other words circuit open".

Front break sensor repair instructions:
1. Disconnect brake sensor wire next to strut.
2. Take ceramic off by just pulling (you should see broken wire before pulling, if not leave alone inspect rear pads and sensor)
3. Get a piece of copper wire about 3 to five inches long and cut enough to make up for length broken.
4. Put new piece through the holes in the ceramic molding making sure the exposed wires are facing up towards the wires leading to the harness clip and solder away.
5. When cool, wrap electrical tape very tight around the newly soldered areas.
6. Re-connect brake sensor and then slip the other end with the ceramic molding into the new pad, turn ignition on and light should disappear.

I never had to replace the rear so far, yes light did come on, but all I did was change the pad and the brake pad wear limit light came off