LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headache!PCV valve change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 07:17 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headache!PCV valve change

I tried changing the valve after driving the car for 4yrs.I got both clamps off the hose and tried yanking it.I then broke the plastic gromet that the pcv valve sits in.I also had to buy a gromet from pep boys since Advance auto parts didn't have it.I also found out that the PCV valve from advance was almost similar but different.The spout size that fits (upward) towards the hose was small and caused air to leak.This screwed up the idle.I tried different clamps but that did not work.Yanking the original PCV from the valve cover is a ***** and anyone can break the plastic gromet.I then put back the old pcv valve with the new gromet and cleaned my injectors manually.I usually make a hole in the carb/injector cleaner can and run a small hose that fits the intake hole/tube.I then crank the car and run the hose from the intake hole(that sucks air) to the can and start revving.I then start seeing the amount of carbon build up through the tail pipe.I usually have quicker starts with this.It sucks the carb. cleaner quickly from the can as you rev.
Attached Thumbnails Headache!PCV valve change-lex-from-front.jpg  
Old 12-23-03, 09:02 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What intake hole/tube are you talking about when cleaning your injectors ???? Can you post a pic of what hole/tube you are talking about that you hook up to your carrb/cleaner can ???

Jeff
Old 12-24-03, 07:06 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default any sucking tube

This tube can be any tube you can unplug that sucks a good amount of air when reving your car.I usually use the one facing you when you are in front of the car.It is connected to a hose that extends from the front of the plenum to the power steering pump or somewhere near there.There are also many other hoses you can use.I do this on every car I have owned and I see quicker starts.Jiffy lube and others use the same technique and others may use more PSI(air pressure) to push the cleaner into the intake.
Old 12-24-03, 07:25 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I then broke the plastic gromet that the pcv valve sits in."
That grommet is not plastic. It is actually rubber that hardened from use. It can be purchased from a dealer for almost nothing and then, it will seal the PCV against any air leaks.
Old 12-24-03, 12:03 PM
5ofakind
Driver

You can only clean the fuel injectors by running injector cleaner thru the fuel lines.... So your method will not clean the injectors...only will clean air intake chamber & maybe the intake manifold.......your method is misleading for cleaning fuel injectors....

Jeff

Last edited by 5ofakind; 12-24-03 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-24-03, 12:44 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default my method is misleading?

I never said do as I do or do as I say.This is what works for me and if it was misleading why would you ask for the location of the spout as if you wanted to play with it yourself.
All I am doing is bypassing the fuel filter and going directly into the intake and injectors.It may not fully clean the intake as you need to actually spray the ports and clean with a damp cloth but it helps.Why will this method not clean the injectors?It may not fully clean it since there is no air pressure being used but it beats the $100 charge to do this.Not just this method but I also use marvel mystery (gas tank and oil) on every oil change.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-24-03, 11:42 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Dont get so defensive.....

I was only questioning your method of cleaning the fuel injectors by your method...... the only thing that goes thru the fuel injectors is fuel & that is from the fuel lines.....it is impossible to clean fuel injectors by any other method except by going thru the fuel lines......you can't achieve any benefit of cleaning your fuel injectors by dumping a cleaner thru an air intake hole/tube.....it just doesnt work.....

Your method will only pass thru the air intake, to the intake manifold thus bypassing the fuel injectors....

That my 2 cents too.

Merry Christmas.....

Jeff
Old 12-25-03, 10:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Engine Cleaner does not clean injectors, but it does clean the intake tract and the combustion chamber. only way to get the injectors cleaned is by adding additives, or sending them to a professional rebuilder.
Old 12-26-03, 05:19 AM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Fuel filter, plugs, wires if Gen 1&2 fuild flushes, how about some things that do something useful. Cleaning the upper intake which this method will do nothing if very lilltle of, is a waste of time. Injector screens are the parts of the injector that are hard to clean, they have to be removed to do a good job. Should not even need to as the filter should catch the bad stuff first. If you are having injector problems somthing is going on, they should be good to 200K to 300K maybe more. Changing the fuel filter will reduce the current load on your fuel pump, if you priced one out lately you will see this is a good thing. One of the best ideas is to drain and put in two liters of trans type VI fuild at each or every other oil change. Have you flushed out your power steering fuild yet?? How old is your battery? When was the water pump timing belt changed. By the way PCV valves on these cars go forever the rubber gasket just gets hard, becareful because it is easy for pieces of the hard rubber to fall into the valve train.
Old 12-28-03, 09:34 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Word,

You own a Lexus, use Lexus parts and they will fit like a glove. We are talking about 5 dollar parts...use the Lexus parts and they will be exact.
Old 12-30-03, 08:14 PM
buttons
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BEST fuel injector/chamber cleaner is BG44K !!!!!! If you don't know what it is--type it in google.
Also, one of the best maint. things you can do is to clean your throttle bore(once per year); you will be astounded at how much better the engine will run !!! I sure was.