LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof Question (kind of a goofy one)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 04:55 PM
92sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Question (kind of a goofy one)

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a '95 LS400. I got it for $7k. It has kind of a checkered past, but I had it checked out and all of the major stuff is OK. Anyway, here is my question.

I am now the proud owner of just about the only LS400 without a sunroof. I really want it to have a sunroof. Here are my questions:

1) does anyone have any experience/recommendations with aftermarket powered/sliding sunroofs? I called around a little bit today and got some ballpark prices of around $1,000.00. to install one. What should I look for and look out for?

2) Can I put an aftermarket sunroof in and use a stock Lexus control switch to operate it? I want it to be as OEM as possible...

3) Would it be possible to get the entire assembly from a salvage yard and have someone put it in? Any good yards out there that you know of?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-03, 06:07 PM
alanuk400
Driver School Candidate

If you have A/C do you really need a sunroof, more moden cars are not bothering with a sunroof if they have A/C. If it is not fitted in the right place you will get a terrible booming noise due to wind in the car.
Alan
Old 11-29-03, 08:44 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, didn't even now they made a Lex without a sunroof. I have never seen or heard of one without it. But, that is not saying much since I am no expert, I am sure there are plenty out there.... still suprising. Glad to know because I would have wagered on it.

To answer you ? I wouldn't put an aftermarket sunroof in it. They all seem to leak afer time. Just my opinion.

Last edited by spxChrome; 11-29-03 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 07:38 AM
92sc
Driver School Candidate

yeah, I am worried about that. I will have to do some research to see if there is a good aftermarket sunroof available. Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-30-03, 10:28 AM
SRK
Driver

Aside from getting a good quality part, you have to consider the skill of the installer. To be blunt, have a look at the work they have to do to install the things. It is not for the faint of heart. And you may get some former drywaller type running the nibbler that cuts the big hole in the roof. There is no going back if he screws up, and I have seen nothing but screw-ups when it comes to aftermarket sunroofs.

Fellow I knew some years ago went to the best place in town for his sunroof in a BRAND NEW Volvo. Why he didn't order the factory one is beyond me. Anyhow, he picks up the car after the install and goes to operate the power roof, and it doesn't work. So back he goes, all steamed up, and the roof works fine when the installer tries it, while the guy looks on through the open door. OK, off he goes again, roof no work. Back to the shop. Turns out the installer wired it into the door switch circuit. Worked good until you shut the door. And this from the local "expert" shop. Then it leaked the first winter.

It is a roll of the dice. I wouldn't even think of having some "expert" cut a hole in my car.
Old 11-30-03, 01:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I would discourage it. The factory sunroof has a system for drainage which will not be the same as an after install. All you need in later times is a water leak with all the electronics in the car...a sunroof poses more problems than it may be worth here. IMO.
Old 11-30-03, 01:46 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Don't do it!

If you really want a sunroof then sell the car and buy one with a factory sunroof. Aftermarket installs will cause problems down the road... maybe not for you but certainly for the next owner. I can't tell you how many times someone brought a car in to our dealership for sunroof repairs and we couldn't help them. Leaks, motors, linkage issues, all require that the original maker still have parts for your specific model sunroof.

Only OEM factory sunroofs have a parts supply intended to exceed the life of the car.
Old 11-30-03, 03:35 PM
92sc
Driver School Candidate

OK, you guys are beginning to talk me out of it. At the very least I know which questions to ask. I just know that if I don't figure something out, I'm going to be really bummed out on the first nice day in Chicago. Luckily, that day is some months away...
Old 12-01-03, 07:59 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do decide to go with an aftermarket moonroof here is an OEM switch for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2445542365
Old 12-02-03, 02:56 PM
RajaReMax
Driver

Default Moonroof Installer

I had a moonroof installed in a new Ford Explorer about 13 years ago from a company in St.Louis called "Auto-Air" off of Kingshighway. It cost around $1,000 back then when there wasn't any competition.

The company did a wonderful job, with no leaks and materials that made it look, feel and sound like it was factory installed. The switches and ceiling materials were very expensive looking and blended perfectly with the interior, which was grey leather.

I'm sure their still in business since I pass their company quite often. If you have difficulty finding their number, let me know, and I'll stop by and get it.

Not sure where you are, or how far you'll drive to get it installed, but I thought this would be a good recommendation...plus it only took about 1.5 days to have it installed. Goodluck!
Old 12-02-03, 06:08 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't add a sun roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way does your car have cloth seats?
Old 12-02-03, 06:11 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I've never seen an LS without a moonroof (I've seen ES300, RX300, GS300, and SC300 without them). I did see an LS400 with cloth this past summer parked in front of a friend's house(it was a 90-92, pearl white with blue cloth interior).
Old 12-03-03, 01:50 PM
92sc
Driver School Candidate

It does have leather, but no sunroof. Kind of a bummer...
Old 12-03-03, 01:55 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 92sc
It does have leather, but no sunroof. Kind of a bummer...
I wish mine did't have the sun roof!!!!!!! Rare is cool.........That's why I have a green inside and out LS...
Old 12-03-03, 03:20 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

ya'll should trade. lol

I'm one of the few that doesn't have the sunroof on my GS and I think it's cool. Makes the car more rare than it already is. You know it's one less thing to keep clean and one less thing that can go wrong.

In my opinion I think the LS400 deserves better than having a hole chopped in the top, plus no one is going to notice or care that you added it.

Congrats on your new car.