LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Time for fuel system cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-03, 09:04 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for fuel system cleaning?

When I started my car this evening, (for the first time today) I noticed some smoke going by the headlights as I was backing up. It was not a lot, but it was very windy here and it was pushing it toward the front of the car. I rolled the window down to see what it smelled like. It is not oil smoke, but rather smells like the car is burning rich- it had a "gassy" smell. It went away before I even finished backing out the drive, as my other car was in the turn around spot. Do I simply need a tune-up, fuel system cleaner, or ??? Thanks.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-28-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-28-03, 10:44 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you say your power steering pump was leaking? If so it could be running back into the exhaust and will make it smoke like that. I am not sure how it is connected but it is a common problem for the car to smoke if the powersterring is leaking by a specific seal. What color is the smoke? What kind of gas millage are you getting?
Old 11-29-03, 05:19 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is leaking, but very, very little. It is just enough that to where it has the hose "greasy" looking, or dampened. There are no drips from it yet. Also- as mentioned- it only done it when it was first started that day, then it went away. When some cars do that- it is valve seals if it smells like oil, but this had a "gassy" smell. It was dark- I could not tell the color- most of it may have even been stream, as it was cold out. I had just happened to smell the "gassy" exhaust smell while the window was down. I am getting good gas mileage, but still think it may need a good tune up of some sort.

Originally posted by spxChrome
Did you say your power steering pump was leaking? If so it could be running back into the exhaust and will make it smoke like that. I am not sure how it is connected but it is a common problem for the car to smoke if the powersterring is leaking by a specific seal. What color is the smoke? What kind of gas millage are you getting?
Old 11-29-03, 08:41 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try running some Mystery Oil or Restore through it. Works great on high millage cars. I used it on mine after debating several products and was very pleased. One of the few things that actually seemed to give me more power.