LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Boy did I have fun at the Tire Shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-03, 10:54 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Boy did I have fun at the Tire Shop

Yesterday, I took my car into Evans Tires to get my wheels aligned, rotated and rebalanced. Had the alignment package so it was free, and paid 40 bucks for lifetime balance on my 18's. So I left the shop and i heard some clunks on the way home thinking it was that maybe the wheel weight flew off. The car began to vibrate really bad (just as bad as before I took it in). So I called the place up told them what happened, and that I would come in the next day.

Later that evening, I went to drive to my friends house on the freeway, but this time, one of my wheels was pounding. It almost sounded like I was driving on a really bad flat tire, except I knew i had no flat tire. I rolled down my windows and heard it coming from the driver side, looked in my mirror, and could see my rear wheel wobbling (sp?) off. I mean this wheel was turning left and right ready to fall off. So I pull over and open up the wheel cap and 2 lugs fall into my hand, one which broke the wheel hub stud with it. the others were loose as well ready to fall off.

I jack the car, tighten what was left of it and called Evans Tires. They told me to bring it right and replaced the stud with a new one.

I'm going in today to get my replacement lug, becasue they didnt have the one I had, so they used a temporary one. They said they were going to talk it over and make it up to me somehow today.

If this tire was to go on the freeway, I dont think I'd be typing this today.

Any ideas on what to do?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions
Old 11-04-03, 12:16 PM
Marx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we're all glad to here that this didn't happen while you were on the freeway, and that you're okay.

I would put in a call to you states attorneys office. They are sure to have a consumer protection ageny. Even if you don't pursue it any further legally, it is helpful to go back into the tire shop with whatever information they provide with regarding your rights.

Plus you're more likely to be compensated better when you say those three words, "State attorney's office"
Old 11-04-03, 01:10 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

what compensation could i get you think? My car is undamaged.. i'm not familiar with these scenarios
Old 11-04-03, 03:10 PM
rajah996
Driver

First off, how about a new tire? I am sure the tire wear is no
longer even on that wheel due to it swinging right and left.
Also they should refund the money you spent yesterday for
those services. If they give you that, you should be happy,
dont go in there looking for a brand new set of tires, lifetime
warranty/balanceing/alignment, because it wont happen.
Good luck bro!

-R
Old 11-04-03, 05:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad you caught it in time.

This scenario repeats far too frequently and why the shops don't learn, I dunno. Several of the shops I've had wheel, brake or tire work on hand torque the lugs. Most the time, I bring my torque wrench so after I drive off the lot, I retorque the lugs.
Old 11-07-03, 09:22 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

wow they wouldnt refund me my service money:
The manger is avoiding me at all costs, and has told me he'd be in on days to contact him, but his workers tell me he's off.

I'm taking this to the better business bureau
Old 11-07-03, 11:39 AM
Marx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear your getting the brush off, especially since they could have killed you.. The BBB definately a good idea, but they don't have any real power to get you results.

You're in CA right? Check this out

http://www.dca.ca.gov/

I'm in AZ, but I contacted the AZ version of this agency when dealing with a Toyota dealership trying to screw me. Like I said, after telling the Toyota dealership about them the dealership cleared up the problem right away.
Old 11-07-03, 11:40 AM
Lvangundy

Better business bureau doesn't do anything.

They are an independant organization that defines proprietary standards.

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=461
Old 11-07-03, 11:41 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about this man. You're lucky you're alright though.

I think going to the BBB is your best option right now, good plan.
Old 11-07-03, 03:11 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Many years ago I was driving a French, front drive car in Europe on a high speed artery (they don't have many freeways today, let alone in 1976) when the rear driver side wheel overtook me! It was one hell of a surprise but the soft sprung car took it well and was fully controlable at about 60 mph. For a fraction of a second I thought that this wheel was a missile of sorts that just missed me. Apparently the rental company had one of the infamous "high school dropouts" take care of a tire change due to a flat.
Old 11-07-03, 09:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A call to the local chamber of commerce about your situation may help some. Although not all merchants are members, if they are, you can file a complaint for them to investigate. One other place is with AAA.

You may consider talking to a local newspaper reporter about your incident. The local ch 4 news in LA did a segment last night on oil change places that are trying to get excess repairs on customers cars.

This is a pisser and fortunately you and your car are okay.
Old 11-08-03, 02:53 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i've sent out 3 complaints to 3 diff organizations suggested.. So i think i'll wait on those.. since Evans is a chain, I'm pretty sure teh BBB can take care of it, I had a problem with ATT and BBB got them to refund me 80 some dollars