ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/)
-   -   Reliable DRL/High Beam Bulbs (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/881758-reliable-drl-high-beam-bulbs.html)

Kishanptl1 02-25-18 04:13 PM

Reliable DRL/High Beam Bulbs

I have a 2007 Rx 350 with AFS lights, but I would like to replace the DRLs for LEDs, I want to match my low beams and fog lights. Does anyone have a reliable and high lumens DRL/High Beams LED bulb suggestion? Also do they turn down to 50% when in DRL mode?

Propulsion 03-04-18 06:30 PM

I am currently on my 3rd pair of LED daytime running lights ordered online. Why? Because each brand may have differing color temperatures that may not match your existing lights, and because the DRLs get half the voltage flickering is a common theme among LED swap outs. You will likely need a load resistor or anti flickering module. I’m somewhat picky, so I kept trying until I found the right product.

However, I recently discovered a new generation of LED lights which does not require ballast, load resistors or any of those other complicated parts. I just odered these from Amazon. They are for the GS 300 (9005) drl. I will install them this weekend. Check the numbered code for you RX to match the proper light. Plenty of new options out there. Happy hunting.

Auxbeam LED Headlight Bulbs NF-S1 Series LED Headlights with 2 Pcs of 9005 HB3 H10 9145 LED PHILIPS CSP LED Headlight Conversion Kit 50W 8000lm 6500K Single Beam - 1 Year Warranty

XenonDepot 03-06-18 01:55 PM

Our 9005 Xtreme LED PRO Kits make a good High Beam/DRL replacement. They are colour-rated at 5500K (crisp white - no blue, no yellow), so they usually do a pretty good job of matching other OEM LED lighting, although that can be tricky without knowing what those OEM LEDs are rated.

If your 9005 bulb also runs as a DRL, you need to select the 'with CANBUS' option on these - the extra modules stop them from flickering/having startup issues in DRL mode, but the LEDs themselves are just On or Off, they are not able to dim down to 50% in DRL mode.

~Robert

Viru 03-24-18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Propulsion (Post 10132413)
Auxbeam LED Headlight Bulbs NF-S1 Series LED Headlights with 2 Pcs of 9005 HB3 H10 9145 LED PHILIPS CSP LED Headlight Conversion Kit 50W 8000lm 6500K Single Beam - 1 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GZ3S4Q..._YVkNAb9HFCE1Q

How did these turn out? Do they work for both your DRL and High Beam?

Propulsion 03-25-18 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Viru (Post 10152155)
How did these turn out? Do they work for both your DRL and High Beam?

Firstly, sorry for not updating my progress sooner. While I’ve had these new lights for several weeks I’ve only gotten around to installing them two days ago. My initial observations are: (1.) The AuxBeams are significantly brighter than the LEDs they replaced. I can see my lights in the reflection of the rear bumbers of other cars. (2.) The highbeams WORKS! This was a minor concern for some owners and I’m happy to report that the highbeam functionality is retained with these LEDs. (3.) some of the minor flickering remains :dunno: . It’s only noticeable to the most observant eye, but it’s still there. I will need to add a pair of canbus modules to stop the minor flickering.

I will try to update as I go. Unfortunately my iPhone 7 isn’t powerful enough to provide clear photographs of DRL LED lights without the distortion caused by the bit rate/frame rates.

Viru 03-25-18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Propulsion (Post 10152738)

Firstly, sorry for not updating my progress sooner. While I’ve had these new lights for several weeks I’ve only gotten around to installing them two days ago. My initial observations are: (1.) The AuxBeams are significantly brighter than the LEDs they replaced. I can see my lights in the reflection of the rear bumbers of other cars. (2.) The highbeams WORKS! This was a minor concern for some owners and I’m happy to report that the highbeam functionality is retained with these LEDs. (3.) some of the minor flickering remains :dunno: . It’s only noticeable to the most observant eye, but it’s still there. I will need to add a pair of canbus modules to stop the minor flickering.

I will try to update as I go. Unfortunately my iPhone 7 isn’t powerful enough to provide clear photographs of DRL LED lights without the distortion caused by the bit rate/frame rates.

No worries - I've just been antsy since I had to throw out my existing LED test list when I read about the dual-mode issues. The Auxbeams caught my eye on Amazon recently, and I'm glad they've been working well for you! Need to grab a set for my IS.

Propulsion 03-25-18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Viru (Post 10153266)
No worries - I've just been antsy since I had to throw out my existing LED test list when I read about the dual-mode issues. The Auxbeams caught my eye on Amazon recently, and I'm glad they've been working well for you! Need to grab a set for my IS.

The AuxBeams are nice but as I mentioned, there is some minor flickering. I ordered some canbus drivers today from Amazon which should arrive on Tuesday. Hopefully those will eliminate the flickering. I’ll report back.

jhbarbwire 12-19-18 07:47 AM

@Propulsion how did the drivers work for you?

Propulsion 12-19-18 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jhbarbwire (Post 10388194)
@Propulsion how did the drivers work for you?

I returned the canbus drivers back to Amazon. They did NOT resolve the flickering issue for the DRL. I also removed the Auxbeams 9005 out of frustration. However, I was able to find a truly plug and go solution on E Bay for my 9005 daytime running lights. Installed these back in April of 2018 and couldn’t be happier. The color temperature is just like the newer car models you see on the road with DRLs. :D
And most importantly, NO FLICKERING!

Here’s the link to set I ordered.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382062033041

XenonDepot 12-19-18 09:00 AM

For those looking for a functioning high beam with daytime running lights then I would recommend the 9005 Xtreme LED Pro Headlight Kit with DRL LED Drivers. With this LED kit the high beams will be up to 30% brighter while allowing the DRL to function in a dimmer mode.

Check out this video from a 4runner which helps demonstrate the lights:

Danny

jhbarbwire 12-19-18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Propulsion (Post 10388224)

I returned the canbus drivers back to Amazon. They did NOT resolve the flickering issue for the DRL. I also removed the Auxbeams 9005 out of frustration. However, I was able to find a truly plug and go solution on E Bay for my 9005 daytime running lights. Installed these back in April of 2018 and couldn’t be happier. The color temperature is just like the newer car models you see on the road with DRLs. :D
And most importantly, NO FLICKERING!

Here’s the link to set I ordered.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382062033041

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for.
How would you say the high beam brightness compared to stock?

Propulsion 12-19-18 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by XenonDepot (Post 10388266)
For those looking for a functioning high beam with daytime running lights then I would recommend the 9005 Xtreme LED Pro Headlight Kit with DRL LED Drivers. With this LED kit the high beams will be up to 30% brighter while allowing the DRL to function in a dimmer mode.

Check out this video from a 4runner which helps demonstrate the lights:
https://youtu.be/xo4kZQR44_k

Danny

These look great! My GS currently has 4300k HID OEM headlights. What color temperature are these? And will they work with the existing ballast modules? I want plug and play.

Propulsion 12-19-18 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jhbarbwire (Post 10388316)
Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for.
How would you say the high beam brightness compared to stock?

Sorry, forgot to mention the highbeam functionality will not work with these LED DRLs... For me it was a minor trade off after trying 3 different sets with poor results. I never use my highbeams anyway and I just switch them out for the state inspection tags which are every 2yrs. Keeping the highbeam functionality with LED will require kits and installation that I am not in the mood for. This was a inexpensive plug and play that performs wonderfully for my Lexus GS.

If you want to keep your highbeam functionality I believe one of the vendors (XenonDepot) here on this thread may have some options.

XenonDepot 12-19-18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Propulsion (Post 10388319)

These look great! My GS currently has 4300k HID OEM headlights. What color temperature are these? And will they work with the existing ballast modules? I want plug and play.

The Xtreme LED Pro kit is rated at 5500K which will be a close match with the 4300K. Unfortunately, DRL LED Drivers will not work with any other LED brands as we only designed and developed it with our current LED kit.

Danny

MeenGrn02 12-19-18 10:57 AM

If you do not want to go LED, the Philips 9011 is a very worthy and cheaper alternative.