Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-17, 02:31 PM
Megiddo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification

I have searched all over and found nothing real significant on how to change the color of the LED in the rocker sill. I also searched for changing out the LED if it no longer works and still nothing. I decided to change the color of one of mine to test how this would actually be done. I really did not like the dingy washed out orange/yellow color of the sill panel and wanted to go with something clean so I went with a Cool White LED.

Tools needed:
Large Flat Screwdriver, Flat Blade (the opening tool spudger), Soldering Iron or Soldering Gun. Solder, Wire Snips, 12v Power Supply, Volt meter (for testing), 4 hands (or a soldering station that has clamps on a pole), and a little patience.

Items you will need to purchase.
1. 4 Pieces (1 for each door sill) T3 Neo Wedge 3014 2 SMD LED White Dash Center console Light AC Climate Lamps (or pick your own color) (About $6.00)
If you do purchase a different kind of LED make sure it is no longer than 3/16th of an inch long. The place to fit the LED inside the LED panel is very small.
When you search for them put your color in and then follow it with "SMD LED bulb". I did find some blue T5 SMD that will probably work just fine.
2. 3/4 inch wide Automotive Acrylic Plus Double Sided Adhesive Attachment Tape (Also about $6.00)
3. The "opening tool spudger". (About $2.00)

Remove the Rocker Sill panel from your vehicle
Push from underneath while applying heat just enough to get the opening tool spudger under the top portion.
While continuing to apply heat move the spudger back and forth until the whole LED panel comes off.
Remove as much of the adhesive as possible from the sill panel. I don't recommend removing the adhesive from the thin aluminum plate because it dents really easily.
Remove the LED panel from the thin aluminum plate.
Using the spudger pry up the clear plastic where the LED board is.
Remove the LED board.
Desolder the old LED.
Solder the new LED onto the board making sure you get the positive and negative wires (coming from the LED) correct because otherwise it will not light up.
As for the wires mine had a red and a green wire and the red was positive and the green was negative. Since I was using a 12v SMD LED I also removed the two little electrical pieces on the board (I think one was a diode and the other was a resistor)
I then soldered the positive red wire over to the next spot. (I didn't move the red wire I just applied a little more solder to make the contact.)
I am going to try another one without removing those 2 little electrical items and see how it works. (BTW the wire colors on the rear driver’s door are red + positive and black - negative)
Test the LED
Do the reveres to put everything back together.
Enjoy your new custom colorful LED rocker sill panels.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-old-led-color.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-1.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-2.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-oops-1.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-oops-2.jpg  

Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rocker-sill-glue-removed.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rocker-sill-panel-backside.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rosker-sill-led-board-removed.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rocker-sill-led-panel.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rosker-sill-led-side-view.jpg  

Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-new-led-light.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rosker-sill-led-test.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rocker-sill-visual-test.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rocker-sill-insert-completed.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-lexus-rocker-sill-finished.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by Megiddo:
exmeaguy (05-21-17), roy7777 (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 06:24 PM
Megiddo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Footwell & Glovebox LED Modification

I have searched all over and found nothing real significant on how to change the color of the LED in the foot well area. I also searched for changing out the LED if it no longer works and still nothing. I decided to change the color of one of mine to test how this would actually be done. I really did not like the dingy washed out orange/yellow color of the sill panel and wanted to go with something clean so I went with a Cool White LED.

Tools needed:
2 really small flat screwdriver, small needle nose pliers, Soldering Iron or Soldering Gun. Solder, Wire Snips, 12v Power Supply, Volt meter (for testing), 4 hands (or a soldering station that has clamps on a pole), and a little patience.

Items you will need to purchase:
3 Pieces (1 for each foot well & 1 for the glovebox) LED bulbs (About $2.00)
If you do purchase a different kind of LED make sure it has a diameter less than or equal to 1/4”.
It has to fit through the same hole the other one came out of.
You do not need to add a resistor as the led holder already has one built into it.

· Twist off the foot well led and remove the power wire clip.
· Using the two small flat screwdrivers stick on in each side and just bend the plastic outward slightly and the LED section will pop out.
· Remove the old LED from inside the hole by drilling it out or using one of those small flat screwdrivers making sure that you get all of the little led wires out. If you are going to drill make sure that you do not go all the way through.
· Once the old led and its wires are out of the way use a very small drill bit just a little bigger than the new led wires are and drill two holes just to the outside of the old led wires that are still soldered to the metal plates on the back side of the LED holder.
· Insert your new white or other led color of your choice making sure that the positive lead is next to the metal plate that I marked on the pictures.
· Use a 12v power supply to test that the led works.
· Before you solder them into place test it out by connecting it to your vehicle to make sure that it works. You don’t need to snap it back into the black outer shell just make sure that you line up the pins and insert it the correct way it should go.
· Solder the new LED to the metal plates.

As for the wires mine had a red (+) and a white (-)
As far as the glovebox is concerned I have not taken the old LED out yet so I don't know if it has the same setup.
Put it back together and snap back on the power connector and waa laa.
Enjoy your new custom colorful LED rocker sill panels.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-pop-led-out.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-removed-old-led.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-2-small-holes-drilled-out.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-soldered-led.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-completed-led-swap.jpg  

Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-old-led-footwell-color.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-new-led-footwell-color.jpg   Lexus Rocker Sill LED Modification-tools-i-used.jpg