Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

92 SC400 low beam HID conversion q's

Old 03-26-17, 08:35 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 92 SC400 low beam HID conversion q's

I have a 92 SC400 and 93 pars car.

I assume low beam HID conversion is a well travelled road but I have some basic q's. Please point me in the right direction.

I'll be polishing up the parts car lenses as both my driver and parts car lenses are yellowed/fogged.

While I have things apart I got to thinking why not convert the low's to HID for better low beam lighting.

I can salvage/swap the parts car high beam projectors/ballasts etc. For transplant into the low beam housings, is this an easy way to go? Will the low beam wiring be adequate for current?

Is there an easier way? Is there a good quality low beam projector housing available? I've found a few eBay options but assume there are good/bad/ugly out there. I'm looking for good quality, nothing blingy just a projector housing that looks a close to stock as possible.

I assume sticking with the same/similar ballasts/bulbs will make life easier as I'll be able to use for both low/high.

Is there and option to put/low and high beams into the high beam housing? This seems easier still as then I'd just use one set of HID bulbs in the current high beam husings.

Open to suggestions
Old 03-26-17, 11:15 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey there,

HIDs make a ton difference in lighting, wether you're replacing 20 year old halogen bulbs or not. It utilizes less wattage as well, so it is much more efficient. And I believe you're looking into delving into projector retrofitting, which is completely replacing the stock projectors with another model or aftermarket projectors. We specialize in headlight restoration and custom headlights, and the projectors SC's or Lexus use are the best around and are highly sought after in the projector retrofitting industry, so replacing those with a different projector would be highly based on your preference and not performance. We also exclusively sell the only aftermarket headlight option for the SC's, and those are out of stock until next month and would be the last batch ever made as the manufacturer have decided to stop production on those, and those are only compatible with halogen bulbs and cannot handle HIDs.

Like I said, swapping to HIDs is already a big difference form halogen bulbs. But we can still increase the performance of those projectors with our Projector Lens Upgrade with Tuning service by replacing the glass part of the projector with a more optically clear glass. Please visit our website to see other options or other services we offer for more information.

Thank you!

Daniel
OrganizedGarageStatus@yahoo.com
www.OrganizedGarageStatus.com
Facebook Post
https://www.instagram.com/o.g.status/
Old 03-26-17, 11:51 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not looking at replacing the existing projectors.

forgive me if I've got this backwards, my newly acquired SC's are still in the garage so i don't have driving experience.

I thought the low beams were the two centermost most lights, and are halogens. I thought the outermost lights are the projector high beams. do I have this backwards?

In any case I'm thinking of replacing the halogens with HID projectors. I thought that since I have a spare set of projector HID's from my parts car that i could retrofit them into the centre halogens. Good news on using less current, that obviously means the wiring for the halogens will be sufficient and the switchs will be happy too.

I'd prefer to just buy a good quality projector housing for the centre two lights and swap over the bulbs/ballasts from the parts car. I could do a retrofit myself but that leaves the ribbed lens out front.
Old 03-27-17, 10:27 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Yes, the outer bigger parts are the low beams, and the smaller inner 2 are the highs. You can install HID in the projector low beams no problem, and will be a great difference. But we never recommend doing HID for high beams, unless you truly drive with it in back country roads at night where there's no visibility and street lights. Because for one, HID's break down faster when they are used as flashers often, and the lack of projectors in the high beams will be too blinding to oncoming traffic.
Old 03-27-17, 11:09 AM
Returd
Intermediate

wow, I've got some learning to do on this car. Thanks for straightening me out on what high and what's low.

I assumed the projectors had HID's from the factory. I thought I saw ballasts in the nose of the car.

As far as projectors for the high beams go, I don't often flash and would like to have a more powerful high beam. I can't speak for others but I dim to low beams in traffic or when I see oncoming out in the boonies.

I put HID's in my supercharged mustang because I was afraid of outrunning the lights at night, and I'd also like as much warning if there's a deer or moose in the road.

I'm handy enough to do my own resto on the housings and convert the low beams to HID's. If available I'd like to find some projectors for the high beams. I won't put a HID bulb into a non projector housing, the scatter is just obnoxious and also no very effective for aiming, but of course you know that.

I've wandered your OGS site a bit and see you offer most of your stuff as services. I'd prefer kit for and DIY.

So I'm interested in:

a HID kit for the low beams

a projector housing for high beams and HID kit for that.

I'd also consider clear lenses, but am good with just polishing my existing. It's nice to have a parts car so I can do the work at my pace on spares and then simply swap when done rather than take my driver out of service.
Old 03-27-17, 11:23 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Absolutely, glad to be of help. There are no high beam projector options available in the market right now other than the eBay ones, but we do have an online store, and we sell HID kits there and a lot of lighting parts like projectors and LEDs. You can also purchase our old designs in the Art Work section if you're interested. Thank you!
Old 04-20-17, 06:01 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I've been pestering the OGS folks with a bunch of questions (and gotten good response on all of them) but I thought I'd put this basic question to the larger group.

What lights are interchangeable between years.

Are low beams interchangeable to all years

are high beams interchangeable to all years

are cornering lights interchangeable to all years (pretty sure I read there's a difference between earlier and later models).

I ask because I'm strongly considering spending a good amount of cash on a HID high/low upgrade. I can see that possibly down the road I may want to sell the car and if so I'd likely sell the HID's separately. If my 92 Low/high beams only fit a couple of years it will influence whether I go full retard or not.
Old 04-29-17, 11:42 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Could've asked us, really don't mind. LOL

All headlights and high beams are interchangeable throughout the years, fitment wise. The main difference with the low beams would be the light cutoff. Which is really not noticeable if the projector lenses are stock, but here are the differences that you can clearly see with our Projector Lens Upgrade with Tuning service performed:

91-94
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/organizedgaragestatus/, on Flickr

95-96 (My personal favorite)

97-00

High beams difference is only the material used, 91-94 had plastic lenses which tend to yellow in time, and 95-00 with glass lenses, does not yellow but become pitted from road debris.

The cornering lights were only from 91-94, and only turn on when you're using your turn signal for a little added visibility. Then switched to fog lights on 95-96, and a totally different shape on 97-00.