Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

PIAA Dual LED Wedge bulbs (Not impressed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 01:35 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down PIAA Dual LED Wedge bulbs (Not impressed)

After reading some reviews of the PIAA LED (white) wedge bulbs I decided to pick up a set to replace my parking light bulbs. I also picked up a set of Polarg M6 bulbs as a last resort. While installing the PIAAs, I noticed that the base of the LED bulb (just above the electrical contacts) was too wide to allow the bulb to be fully seated. I didn't want to modify the socket so I put it in as tightly as I could and turned it on to make sure it worked.

It worked, and looked ok outside of the headlight housing, much whiter than the regular bulbs but not as bright as I expected. I figured I just needed to install them and let the reflector do its job. I re-installed the LED setup into the housing and turned it on. Is this thing on? I was not very impressed with the light output at all. The color was indeed white, but you hardly noticed any light coming off of it unless you looked right at the LED. To be fair, I didn't back the car out of the garage and get a look at it from a distance - it stayed in my car about 5 minutes and got placed right back in its package.

In went the Polarg M6s. These are definately huge in comparison to the LEDs! Installation is pretty straightforward, just make sure you have enough slack on your wiring harness and remember that the important thing to keep in mind is the angle of entry into the headlight housing. They looked a lot brighter and whiter than the plain-jane wedge bulbs but still not as white as the factory HIDs. They will do for now however, I'm pleased with their light output as well as the color improvement. Now to find a set that is a little whiter.

BTW, I'm selling a pair of barely used PIAA LEDs $20 shipped to CONUS.
Attached Thumbnails PIAA Dual LED Wedge bulbs (Not impressed)-piaaled.jpg  
Old 04-08-03, 11:33 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stealther -

Nice writeup. Yah....I was gonna buy some LEDs to replace my M6, but common sense prevailed. These things are only bright when you look at them straight on.....not much light output from the sides....thus the refraction from the housing will be minimal at best. Plus....I dont think it'll matter how many LEDs are in there: 2, 4 or 6 (thats if you can even get them in there).

Pete
Old 04-08-03, 12:15 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try using the LEDs in the courtesy lights...you might/might not like the results.