Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

2007 Lexus GS350 Ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 11:53 AM
youngbuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus GS350 Ballast?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of ballast I need, and trying to make sure that it is actually the ballast before I buy a new one.

I had new lights (Xenon D4S) put in the vehicle in 12/2013. About a month and a half ago, I took my car to the Lexus dealership (not where I usually go) for a recall replacement and they told me that my driver side parking light was out, so they replaced that for $50.

About 3 weeks ago my low-beam on the driver side started turning on and staying on for about 10-15 seconds, but would then turn back off and not come back on. This happened every time the light turned on. I took my car to the place I normally go and they replaced the light for free as it was under warranty. Unfortunately, that didn't work, and when I got home and tested it, the same problem occurred.

I took my vehicle in again a couple days ago, and they looked at it for a while and told me the ballast was out, but that Lexus was charging over $1,000 because they only sold it with the entire housing.

So, now, I need to find a ballast. The problem is, there are so many options and I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd like to buy from XenonDepot just because they contribute to this forum a lot. Is this what I need? http://www.xenondepot.com/Xtreme-HID...st-p/xt-rb.htm

This is also a possibility: http://www.carhidkits.com/d4s-d4r-oem-ballast-211.html

I'm kind of lost here.

Also, the place wants $240 to put in the new ballast (or that was the quote for putting in the new housing, I'd imagine it'd be similar for the new ballast right?) There are instructions online of how to replace the ballast. I'm pretty good with working with my hands, but I have no idea what I'm doing with a car. How difficult would it be to do this myself? How dangerous would it be (as in, the possibility of screwing it up even worse)? Also, what are the chances it's not the ballast? If it isn't the ballast, should the place reimburse me (or at least reimburse me for the amount charged to diagnose)?

I can't find any other places that would be willing to use a part that I bring in (or buy it themselves from one of these other sites).

Last edited by youngbuk; 07-08-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 05:06 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go two routes - stick with OEM D4S or go aftermarket D2S.

you can ebay factory D4S ballasts for like $70 each.

Or you can go with D2S - I'd highly recommend giving TRS a call/email.

www.theretrofitsource.com

Seeing as you only need the ballast, I'd stick with factory D4S, that way you can re-use your bulbs. (Can't mis D2S and D4S).
Old 07-23-14, 12:29 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Our XenonDepot ballasts won't work with a D4S bulb. We do have Denso D4S ballasts that would work as a replacement though.

John