Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights?? headlight mod inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 06:00 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who wanted the orange out of their headlights?? headlight mod inside

is this a 2001 or a 1999? hehehe 99 with 2001 headlights. did the orange lens removal mod................it's a pain in the rump shaker.
Attached Thumbnails Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights??  headlight mod inside-dsc00164.jpg  
Old 08-03-02, 06:06 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

here you can see the difference...........driver side modded with a 2001 headlight and amber lens removed.
Attached Thumbnails Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights??  headlight mod inside-adsc00153.jpg  
Old 08-03-02, 06:10 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

if anyone need in depth pics of removing the headlight..........let me know and i can post the pics. the actual amber lens removal procedure was a pain in the booty. so i would suggest not doing it lol

i just dig this pic.....so i posted it.

is that manik sidebars on there nick? hehehehe
Attached Thumbnails Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights??  headlight mod inside-adsc00167.jpg  

Last edited by Shonuff; 08-03-02 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-03-02, 08:36 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Details please.... pictures please....

I know it'd be labor intensive to remove the orange shell, but I'm still really curious how you did it...

please do post pics and details...

thank you much!
Hendry
Old 08-03-02, 09:24 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

hendry where have you been man? long time no see. hit me on aim: shaonizzit
Old 08-03-02, 09:29 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Nice side tubes You're the man for cutting up the RX!

Last edited by LexRX; 08-03-02 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-04-02, 02:15 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

you ARE the man sho!!

your really temping me to try it out... i'll see, i'll check if i have the tools then if i do i'll try to remove head lamp and work on it... but we'll see
Old 08-04-02, 10:18 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

HI Shonuff, Hi everyone!

How's it going, everybody? Sorry I've been away for a long while... been kind of traveling a lot lately... (mostly for fun anyways) hehe...

Hope y'all been doing really good...

I haven't really added anything to my RX, to be honest, I actually need to get it detailed... haha...

Plus, I've actually removed my Philips Ultinons D2R, and reinstalled the OEM HID bulbs back. Wife kept complaining she really doesn't like the color (although I love it). So if any of you want to buy them, I still have the pair, let me know, okay?

Sho, I need to download AIM into my computer first, I'll definitely msg you once I get it installed and registered...

cheers,
Hendry
Old 08-05-02, 08:40 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Legal question....

First, are we talking about the turn-signal orange lights? If so, don't any of you care about safety??? They are orange for a reason: to make them easily distinguishable from other lights on your vehicle. Another driver approaching your vehicle from different angles can quickly determine your lane intentions.

I guess my next question is: Is there DOT requirements for certain lens/lights on the vehicles? Might changing the lights be illegal?

I love (NOT) the idiots who change out their rear brake lights for clears.. usually ricers who don't have a clue
Old 08-05-02, 08:47 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

there are these things called colored bulbs..........let me start over that comes off wrong.

you can get bulbs that are silver or clear when off, but when lit they are orange or amber...........does that help?

also what makes them easily distinguishable is the blinking.........some cars have orange/amber lights that are on all the time. usually if you see one light blinking then you know they are going to turn in that direction.......

Last edited by Shonuff; 08-05-02 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-05-02, 09:39 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shonuff
there are these things called colored bulbs..........let me start over that comes off wrong.

you can get bulbs that are silver or clear when off, but when lit they are orange or amber...........does that help?
Absolutely, I didn't know that. Thanks for teaching me something new.

[i
b]also what makes them easily distinguishable is the blinking.........some cars have orange/amber lights that are on all the time. usually if you see one light blinking then you know they are going to turn in that direction....... [/B]
Hmmm.... that'll I'll just have a friendly difference of opinion on. I think the light/lens color, along with the blinking, make the turn signal easily identifable. But I guess the real question is, are there any DOT regs that govern lamp usage?
Old 08-05-02, 10:17 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

i'm sure there are. not too sure what they are though. maybe different states have different laws. i am by no-means saying that the orange/amber doesn't make it distinguishable.....it absolutely does........but the one side blinking is what draws your attention to the fact they are turning.

let's take it this way........if you saw a car with orange/amber turns signals on (both on not blinking) you wouldn/t think they are turning (maybe think they are parking lights).

now if you see a car with white turn signals (one blinking) would you not think he is turning?
Old 08-05-02, 10:36 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome back Hendry!

How much are you parting with those Philips Ulitions??? the ones in the Rx3 are D2S bulbs and i want to see how a difference will using D2R bulbs be. Then i'll prob dump it in to my sisters car hahah

I don't think turn signals in any color is illegel unless you use BLUE or RED. When i got pulled over in my sisters car for having blue fogs in front they just told me you can have anything except BLUE or RED in front because those color lights are for emergency vehicles.

Go for those white signals or the silver colored bulbs which lights up amber when you signal. Either or it would be sweet. Now i want to shave off mine and make my signals super whites or ion yellow signals to match up with my ion yellow foggies
Old 08-05-02, 12:41 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Shonuff
if anyone need in depth pics of removing the headlight..........let me know and i can post the pics. the actual amber lens removal procedure was a pain in the booty. so i would suggest not doing it lol

i just dig this pic.....so i posted it.

is that manik sidebars on there nick? hehehehe
Hey Sho,
How'd you install the clear markers? Is there much of a trick to it?
Sweet ride bro - love the wheels!
ck
Old 08-05-02, 12:57 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: Legal question....

Originally posted by RX300TC
First, are we talking about the turn-signal orange lights? If so, don't any of you care about safety??? They are orange for a reason: to make them easily distinguishable from other lights on your vehicle. Another driver approaching your vehicle from different angles can quickly determine your lane intentions.

I guess my next question is: Is there DOT requirements for certain lens/lights on the vehicles? Might changing the lights be illegal?

I love (NOT) the idiots who change out their rear brake lights for clears.. usually ricers who don't have a clue
I agree with your safety concerns as they are very valid - looks are important, but no car looks good when it's all smashed up because another driver didn't realize you were turning... that said the silver-to-amber signal bulbs would in fact be an excellent choice for both safety and the desired cosmetics.

One thing I have a problem with (and I've seen it here before on this forum which surprises me) is your use of the term "ricers..." Is it just me, or is that not a derogatory term for either a Japanese/Asian-made vehicle or an Asian person? You're driving a Japanese vechile, so doesn't that seem a little hypocritical? Whether you meant it negatively or not, it's not too straight... It's a shame to hear that kind of think - not too much better than the "n" word.

Back to the important stuff, the RX talk, just wanted to ask: Blue fogs are illegal? What about the "bluish" HID's that come in all the BMW's these days then? Why wouldn't those be illegal?

Ck

Quick Reply: Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights?? headlight mod inside