Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

best HID's

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 10:28 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malmon
I had several installed. The one I like the most is from HIDextra.com, cheap costs about $50 and easy to install.

I have also bought from xenondepot, it has its own wiring harness that draws power directly from the battery, costs $180 and a bit cumbersome to install. The worst thing is the bulbs have different hues. The left bulb is a bit yellow compared to the right. Not happy with this purchase at all.
I haven't noticed a color difference. Also I didn't mind the extra 5 minutes to literally clip together one extra harness on each side for the piece of mind knowing that if one bulbs goes, the other one doesn't.

That would be a bit of an issue for me if both my low beams went out at the same time while I was driving.
Old 05-31-10, 11:24 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiz88
I haven't noticed a color difference. Also I didn't mind the extra 5 minutes to literally clip together one extra harness on each side for the piece of mind knowing that if one bulbs goes, the other one doesn't.

That would be a bit of an issue for me if both my low beams went out at the same time while I was driving.
hey when you installed your xenondepot hid kit, did you have to run wires to the battery? i thought it was all just plugins to the factory harnest?
Old 06-01-10, 06:47 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robertoyou
hey when you installed your xenondepot hid kit, did you have to run wires to the battery? i thought it was all just plugins to the factory harnest?
Yes, both sides have one positive and one negative. So you run two wires to the battery and two wires to a ground. I am sure ALL HID kits are the same as the ballasts need to be powered by the battery to fire up.

Otherwise it's still pretty easy to do. The only hard part is finding a place to tuck/hide the wires and finding a place to mount the ballast which is about 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches.

I can try to take some pics later...
Old 06-01-10, 11:51 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Yes, both sides have one positive and one negative. So you run two wires to the battery and two wires to a ground. I am sure ALL HID kits are the same as the ballasts need to be powered by the battery to fire up.

Otherwise it's still pretty easy to do. The only hard part is finding a place to tuck/hide the wires and finding a place to mount the ballast which is about 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches.

I can try to take some pics later...
yeah pics would help man! thanks.
damn i didnt want to have to run wires to the battery. i already have enough things taking up power directly from the battery.

i just messaged xenondepot and they said that wiring to the battery is optional. you didnt try just connecting the ballas to the factory wiring?
i would think the ballast would use the factory wiring to get power.
having to run wires and get them through and to the ballast doesnt sound so much like "plug and play" to me.

this sucks, i know running a couple of wires from the battery to the ballast isnt hard, but i dont want to have to run more wires (i have an audio system, and i feel like i have enough wires ran already, dont want MORE wiring)

il let you know what xenon messages me back after i asked if the battery wiring was necessary, but at least you got yours working right?
Old 06-01-10, 12:14 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

yeah pics would help man! thanks.
damn i didnt want to have to run wires to the battery. i already have enough things taking up power directly from the battery.

i just messaged xenondepot and they said that wiring to the battery is optional. you didnt try just connecting the ballas to the factory wiring?
i would think the ballast would use the factory wiring to get power.
having to run wires and get them through and to the ballast doesnt sound so much like "plug and play" to me.

this sucks, i know running a couple of wires from the battery to the ballast isnt hard, but i dont want to have to run more wires (i have an audio system, and i feel like i have enough wires ran already, dont want MORE wiring)

il let you know what xenon messages me back after i asked if the battery wiring was necessary, but at least you got yours working right?

Yeah working good. Where would the Positive wires run to if not the battery? I assumed all HIDs had to run direct to battery, guess I was wrong. Pretty simple install though on my 01 GS300. I found two nice spots to mount the ballasts.
Old 06-01-10, 01:39 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Yeah working good. Where would the Positive wires run to if not the battery? I assumed all HIDs had to run direct to battery, guess I was wrong. Pretty simple install though on my 01 GS300. I found two nice spots to mount the ballasts.
lol i have no idea man.
xenon just said that the xteme kit came with a harness for wiring to the battery and that i could use it if i wanted to or not.
then he said the volt kit DOESNT come with a wiring harness to battery, so im assuming the volt (and other hid kits) dont use wiring to battery?

but again, i barely know about hid's, ive never used them before.
thats why im trying to get this all straight before i order anything.
Old 06-01-10, 02:21 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

okay, i just received a message from him again, and this is exactly what he said:

"Hi,

The harness is optional. You do not have to use it. All it does is ensure that the ballasts always receive a constant 12V as they are being powered direclty from the battery. If you choose not to use the relay harness you can power the ballasts directly from the OEM wiring. Sometimes though, the OEM wiring can drop down below 12V which will/may cause the lights to flicker. The ballasts can draw up to 6A on a cold start however go down to about 3.2A stable.

Steve"

very good information and good to know. i guess i will order them and try it with out the battery wiring and see how that works. with my system playing i dont think my battery is ever at a constatnt voltage anyways lol.
Old 06-01-10, 02:39 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

lol i have no idea man.
xenon just said that the xteme kit came with a harness for wiring to the battery and that i could use it if i wanted to or not.
then he said the volt kit DOESNT come with a wiring harness to battery, so im assuming the volt (and other hid kits) dont use wiring to battery?

but again, i barely know about hid's, ive never used them before.
thats why im trying to get this all straight before i order anything.
Perhaps the wiring harness is only needed for the DUAL Relay. If you do not want the dual relay, maybe you can bypass the harness and bypass routing to the battery. Steve from XenonDepot is usually on these boards, so let's see if he chimes in.
Old 06-01-10, 02:47 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Oops, looks like Steve already answered that question and it is because of the Relay. I will still try to take some pics, but it sounds like you just don't have to clip in the relay harness and instead just connect direct to factory which will be even quicker to do.
Old 06-01-10, 06:13 PM
DaNiELx626
Lead Lap

dont buy from hidextra.com... their color temp arent accurate/correct
Old 06-01-10, 07:22 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Oops, looks like Steve already answered that question and it is because of the Relay. I will still try to take some pics, but it sounds like you just don't have to clip in the relay harness and instead just connect direct to factory which will be even quicker to do.
So, I was gonna take some pics but when I lifted the hood I realized how good a job I did tucking the wires and twisty tying stuff together... so there is really no way for me to get a picture of the harnesses themselves.

Anyway, if you simply don't touch the harness, it truly will be plug and play since you do not have to connect to the battery. You just need to find a place to put the ballasts and tuck the wires and you are good. Ask Steve to send you the wiring diagram which is all you need. In fact, I knew nothing about installing HIDs and I did it in 45 minutes without the diagram, it was that obvious.

I would recommend using the relays though and connecting to the battery if possible. It's only one extra harness on each side and truly the reason I went with the Xenon Depot kit.
Old 06-01-10, 09:59 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

So, I was gonna take some pics but when I lifted the hood I realized how good a job I did tucking the wires and twisty tying stuff together... so there is really no way for me to get a picture of the harnesses themselves.

Anyway, if you simply don't touch the harness, it truly will be plug and play since you do not have to connect to the battery. You just need to find a place to put the ballasts and tuck the wires and you are good. Ask Steve to send you the wiring diagram which is all you need. In fact, I knew nothing about installing HIDs and I did it in 45 minutes without the diagram, it was that obvious.

I would recommend using the relays though and connecting to the battery if possible. It's only one extra harness on each side and truly the reason I went with the Xenon Depot kit.
hahah, glad you did a good job. makes for better install and feeling better about yourself and the work you did lol
yeah, thanks for the tips man, it helps. i know its not a big deal to run a couple of wires.. like i mentioned early, but still ive ran so many wires that take up power, that i already need a new alt, dont want to be consuming MORE power if my car cant keep up with it all the time. alt is coming soon though.

but awesome that with out the battery harnest itl be plug and play to the factory wiring. i will do it with out the battery first and see how that works. might be easier to just do battery than have to do twice the work, but its just my fogs, so maybe they wont take up as much power and itl be okay. if it was my main low beams, id definitely do it just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-02-10, 06:22 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

hahah, glad you did a good job. makes for better install and feeling better about yourself and the work you did lol
yeah, thanks for the tips man, it helps. i know its not a big deal to run a couple of wires.. like i mentioned early, but still ive ran so many wires that take up power, that i already need a new alt, dont want to be consuming MORE power if my car cant keep up with it all the time. alt is coming soon though.

but awesome that with out the battery harnest itl be plug and play to the factory wiring. i will do it with out the battery first and see how that works. might be easier to just do battery than have to do twice the work, but its just my fogs, so maybe they wont take up as much power and itl be okay. if it was my main low beams, id definitely do it just to be on the safe side.
Oh yea just fogs I'd probably not use the relays either. For now I am buying some yellow 2500k Nokyas on eBay for $14 an trying them in the fogs. For $14 I have nothin to lose.
Old 06-02-10, 09:15 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Oh yea just fogs I'd probably not use the relays either. For now I am buying some yellow 2500k Nokyas on eBay for $14 an trying them in the fogs. For $14 I have nothin to lose.
hahah NO WAY. 14 for hids?!
post a link please. wow.
Old 06-02-10, 01:04 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

best HIDs? very subjective. for me...it has to be easy install and most importantly...it won't blow up within 1 yr.

Quick Reply: best HID's