ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/)
-   -   Replacement HID bulbs? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/443759-replacement-hid-bulbs.html)

Cooltown 07-30-09 03:44 PM

Replacement HID bulbs?

Hi,

I'm a new Lexus owner, just bought my used 2006 Lexus IS350 a few weeks ago. Of course after just buying this vehicle the HID headlight on one side had to go out. I called the dealer and to replace the one light would cost $510 (350-ish for the bulb, 150-ish for labor). This price seems ridiculous to me.

I found a local indepedent Lexus repair shop that will install 2 HID lights in my car for $120 total, seems much more reasonable.

I've been trying to look online for a good replacement light. This is what I've found so far, will this work in my car? Is this safe? A good buy/product?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Japan-Garax...-p/hid_d4c.htm

Also on that page you can buy D4S or D4R bulbs under the size option. Does anyone know which I need to get? The shop I called also warned that any aftermarket light I choose to get must be compatible with the wiring and should not output too much voltage or something like that. I'm not a mechanic and didn't really understand what he was getting at. I just would like nice bright white replacements for what I believe to be factory stock HID lights. So long as I already have HIDs will I be ok just buying replacement bulbs or do I need something extra?

I've also read online that HID bulbs are rated at around 3000 hours, which doesn't seem too long of a life. Is it normal to have to replace HIDs every few years?

I looked around for other threads but it is pretty much people trying to install an HID setup into their car that doesn't already have HID...not really any threads about replacing the bulbs and what to buy as a replacement.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

sr20mofo 07-30-09 06:27 PM

well arent you in luck...

im replacing my stock HID soon and ive pretty much searched and searced for the best option and ive narrowed it down to 2..

Philips D4s 42402 *(make sure its the 4800k and not the 4300k) this is the stock bulbs used by lexus... gives out a light blueish tint...how do know if its one or the other? you dont, you pretty much have to trust the seller since they both have the same model number.

Garax 6k
bulbs... its made in japan not china

they both are around the same price range about 100bucks. GL

Cooltown 07-30-09 09:39 PM

Thanks sr20,

So the Garax 6000k ones are sold in D4S and D4R sizes, do you know which we need? You listed Philips D4S above, so I take it D4S.

I'm not sure whether to go with the Garax of the Philips ones at this point either. I bought the car used and the current HIDs are VERY bright. When I drive at night in medium freeway traffic it's my lights lighting up the signs even though there are cars in front of me that are closer to the signs (I can tell because the light is so strong and it vibrates when I hit a bump with my stiffer sport suspension). I wish I knew if the previous owner has the stock ones or not, because they rock.

I've heard even though the Garax 6000k are a whiter light, they actually produce less light...so whatever that means for the end result, I don't know...

alan003 07-31-09 12:25 AM

if the car has stock HIDs it is D4S (projector housing i.e. like our cars) . D4R (reflector housing) for the prius and maybe avalon? i like my stock philips seems to be bright enough unless theres something better out yet lol

emoshun 07-31-09 12:36 AM

Nothing is brighter in actual lumens than OE Philips bulbs.

sr20mofo 07-31-09 12:46 AM

cool,

i want to go with the OEM Philips #42402 4800k that replaced #42402 4300k(yea i know, same model #, stupid) ive been looking at fleabay and all of them are the 4300k version, the dealers have the 4800k but they want 180bucks for ONE!

as far as brightness, the philips produces 3800lumens(brightness) while the garax 6k produces 3000lumens. how much of a difference it is? i dont know nor can we actually tell.

i took my 06 in for some recall issues and they gave me a 08 loaner... and let me tell you the hid on the 08 blew away my 06 hid in regards of brightness and color. now if that 08 loaner is equipped with the oem philips 4800k, be damm sure thats what im getting next.

update... ive found a site that has the philips 4800k version for 49bucks each. i might jump on this but looking for a lil more info on the garax before i make my decision.

Cooltown 07-31-09 07:14 PM

sr20mofo, can you please link me to the site that has the 4800k philips for 49 bucks? I would like to pick 2 of them up ASAP. Thanks!

Also I called my local lexus dealer and they warned about how many volts the bulbs are for. They only recommend the genuine Lexus part. Is this just them trying to sell their overpriced Lexus OEM bulb or what? Anyone know if the voltage is an issue?

sr20mofo 08-01-09 01:39 AM

whats the voltage for our ISX50??

on the site i found it says 85volts and the site is european.

http://www.philips-d2s.com/philips-d...eco-42402.html

Cooltown 08-01-09 10:28 PM

sr20, just an FYI, in the end today I chose to go with these ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OSRAM...Q5fAccessories

They are the factory OEM bulbs, with no worries of incorrect voltages, etc. plus very cheap price. Less than $90 for 2, with free shipping. I also found a local place that is certified (but not an official dealership) that will install both bulbs for $125. All in all, not too bad compared to my original quote of $525 for EACH bulb + installation at the Lexus dealer, $1050 in total for the dealer.

Phiber 08-01-09 10:40 PM

Don't tell me you paid $125 for installation on HID bulbs.. it is so easy it should take less than 1 hour.. even my little brother can do it on his rice rocket..

sr20mofo 08-02-09 01:01 AM

cooltown, those arent factory bulbs, Lexus uses only Philips from my understanding, however those are very reliable and excellent bulbs.

i appreciate the link as it has answered my question about voltage. remember to take pics when you get the chance, post them here so i can have a look before i decide on which bulbs to go with.

and i agree with Phiber, its a simple installation. please save your money and do it yourself, theres a DIY here somewhere. hell if you're close by, i'll help.

CometVR4 08-02-09 04:33 AM

Not sure if they make this bulb model in your size but I just replaced my stock Xenarc Osrams in my Acura TL with the Phillips 85122+ D2S. I was blown away as far as brightness. The color is a very bright white, I also used a ZKWr clear lens, To achieve the sharp cut off with a nice blue/purple color band at the top. If I pass another car with HIDs I win as far as brightness/intensity goes. They are rated at 4100K and 3400 lumens and they don't color shift or lose their lumens like most other HID bulbs.

Cooltown 08-02-09 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Phiber (Post 4729746)
Don't tell me you paid $125 for installation on HID bulbs.. it is so easy it should take less than 1 hour.. even my little brother can do it on his rice rocket..

Is it easy for someone who has never even opened the hood of a Lexus or done any kind of mechnical work on a car before? I doubt it.

If I do one thing wrong and my car no longer works, that would be terrible. I'm definitely open to doing it, but without a video tutorial I doubt I stand a chance! :)

Phiber 08-02-09 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cooltown (Post 4731107)
Is it easy for someone who has never even opened the hood of a Lexus or done any kind of mechnical work on a car before? I doubt it.

If I do one thing wrong and my car no longer works, that would be terrible. I'm definitely open to doing it, but without a video tutorial I doubt I stand a chance! :)

You have to learn some how. Eventually you have to take it off and then you pay someone $125 again to replace it to stock..

Cooltown 08-02-09 04:55 PM

Haha, that's when they charge me $500 to get it back in working order! ;) I agree, I want to learn. Knowing how to change bulbs and such like that for the life of a car saves a ton of money in the long run. Plus it's just cool to tinker around with a vehicle like that. If you know of a good DIY link, please let me know.