ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/)
-   -   My hid ballast is blowing fuses!?!? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/358450-my-hid-ballast-is-blowing-fuses.html)

MATEOGS 05-31-08 01:11 PM

My hid ballast is blowing fuses!?!?

So the other night I noticed that one of my H.I.D.'s were out. So I checked out everything switched sides, bulbs and all sockets and it turns out that it is one of my ballasts or maybe the ignitor. not to sure? I have the ballasts and it goes to a relay I guess(a little box that says high voltage) than to the bulb. Can I buy just a ballast or basically half a kit? If not and I go and by another kit do they basically all have the same wiring? will my existing bulbs plug in to them? if so Ill just order a different temp and have two sets if I want to switch. thanks in advance

ng123ray 05-31-08 05:03 PM

if you're sure the ballast are the problem.. then it shouldnt be a problem with connecting the bulbs. they should fit for any ballast made for that size bulb. i dont know too much about the electrical stuff with a HID ballast, but sounds like it may be the ballast.. try it out and switch the ballast.... where did you buy your ballast from? maybe there's a warranty for them....

Batmobile 05-31-08 05:17 PM

is there a fuse on the kit itself? or is it blowing your fuse in your engine bay?

i'm assuming you already tried a bigger fuse...

it could actually be the relay itself that has gone bad...

like ng123ray recommended swap the ballast first and see if it shoots up... then swap the bulb.

if the bulb still doesn't light up then it's probably the relay... if the bulb lights up after the swap then it's the ballast.

hope this helps

gwapito 05-31-08 06:41 PM

I HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE A HEADLAMPS CONDENSATION BEFORE; THE BALLAST IS LOCATED ON THE BOTTOM OF THE HEADLIGHTS. WHEN THE CONDENSATION ACCURED THE WATER RUNS DOWN TO THE HEADLAMPS BALLAST AND SHORTEN OUT THE CIRCIUT :egads: IF THERES NO CONDENSATION ON YOUR HEADLAMP, THERE IS AN UPDATED HID BULB FOR THE HID (D4S) GREEN FILAMENT BULB. MOST COMMONLY OCCURED PROBLEMS ON 06GS300. HOPE THIS HELP YOU UP:)

MATEOGS 05-31-08 07:05 PM

well they arent stock H.I.D.'s and I bought the car with them already in. The ballasts box don't sayt anything on them.I switched the kits to the other side and now the other light was out. I also switched the bulbs. so its not the bulbs its either the ballast or relay on one side.

ng123ray 05-31-08 10:17 PM

dunno what to say... try a cheap ebay kit... im sure they sell replacement ballast.. they work just as well as those other brands... just minus the warranty or you can find a friend with some ballast of the same bulb size... and switch it up with him to see if it is the ballast.

cliffud 06-01-08 02:46 AM

i suspect a short circuit inside the offending ballast.