Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

'95 Lexus ES300 Retrofit questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 10:22 AM
shaddow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '95 Lexus ES300 Retrofit questions

Ok, I'm a total noob when it comes to HID lighting, but I've been doing lots of reading these past few weeks, signed up on several sites, and I *think* I'm starting to piece everything together. This website has been very informative, but I'm still not 100% sure I've got it all worked out, and figured I'd ask instead of buying all the wrong parts.

Since the ES300 is my daily driver, I've decided to purchase a new set of headlamps to work on the retrofitting in my spare time so I can still use my car when need be.

So to start I plan to purchase these JDM OEM Windom headlights. They are much cleaner looking than the US headlamps.

vs.

It is my understanding that I will need to replace the OEM projector from this lens to something suited for HID lighting, and I'm thinking about going with these E46 HID Projectors:

Next thing would be the ballasts and bulbs, and I was looking at these Hella LVQ-212 G3 Ballasts.

They come with Phillips bulbs, but I'm not sure about the kelvin rating (still waiting on a response from the seller). If they are 6000k I will probably sell them and purchase a set of 5000k bulbs such as these instead.

One of the connectors on the ballasts is a little beat up

so I planned to purchase these adapters to replace it.

Now, if I did my homework correctly, this should all work... Right? Am I missing anything? Am I going about this the wrong way? Would there be an easier, or more cost effective way to go about this? Or different parts that you would recommend I use instead of anything I've listed?

I did installations for a car audio shop for about 2 years and have lots of experience with electronics, wiring, and custom installations. I realize it will be a bit of work properly fitting/mounting the projectors in the headlamp, but I'm not afraid to go about this. Like I said though, I'm a noob, and I wanna do this right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-27-08, 11:00 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

firstly, USDM and JDM headlights are the same. the only different thing is that, JDM has the bottom yellow part with lighting.

second, the different between those headlights is black housing and lines on the cover, also, the one on the left was used on 92-93 models. and the rest with 94-96 models.

third, 2nd gen headlights are equip with two projectors. one for high and one for low. and they are intact.

so your best bet is to find a way to customize and bracket with the high beam.
Old 01-27-08, 11:17 AM
shaddow
Driver School Candidate

Didn't realize the difference between the headlights was a 92-93 vs. 94-96 thing. I guess I just assumed it was a JDM vs. USDM thing, but either way, I will need to get a new set and I think those look nicer, so no biggie. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I realize that there's two projectors in the headlight, and I planned to make custom mounting brackets of some sort. My question is, do I have all the right parts? Is there anything else I would need, or anything else I should purchase instead for the HID lighting to work properly? (Aside from the obvious brackets, silicone, screws, etc, etc.)
Old 01-27-08, 11:43 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bulb nbr 85122 is a stock phillips 4300k bulb. it will color shift after the burn in to a 5000k bulb. the 5000k bulbs you are looking for are 85122+. not a big deal, because the ones he has for sale are stock 4300k.

That ballast connector will not work with the ballast he is selling.

you might want to look into xenondepot.com, http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips_43.../xd-4k-d2s.htm

that's exactly what you would need. a bit more expensive, but the dude is a known vendor here, i dont have a single complaint about his kits that i have used.
Old 01-27-08, 10:44 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

beside what caoboy mention, your good to go. the E46 is 3'' lense just like the stock es300 projectors, so thats a good thing.

good luck with your retro, have a DIY if you can and post up.

if you can do me the biggest favor?

use the E46 lense on the stock ES300 projectors and tell me if theres a different.
Old 01-28-08, 06:07 PM
shaddow
Driver School Candidate

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick up that kit. Thanks for the link, Caoboy.

swifty, I wouldn't even have to install the light on the car to test that out, would I? I mean, I could literally just hook it up and shine it at a wall, right? If so, I don't think that would be a problem. Otherwise it may get a bit complicated.

I'll try my best to write up a DIY, but if the process starts getting too complicated that'll probably be the first thing I'll abandon. I will definitely try my hardest though! I'm all about helping people out with their future projects.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna get started on the project, but I do plan to start buying the parts soon. It's a bit cold to be spending hours and hours in my driveway/garage though. I'll def. keep a thread with updates once I'm ready to go!
Old 01-28-08, 06:14 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Stay away from the eBay seller oem_xenon_parts. He rips people off, buying on ebay for pennies, and then tripling the price, and claiming its a good dal.

I would suggest you find a pair of TSX low beam projetors, and stay with your OEM high beams.

TSX is the best bang for the buck between output, and price, they can't be beat!
Old 01-28-08, 06:59 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

E46 projectors aren't very good. I don't suggest using them. Also, 85122+ bulbs aren't 5000k. They're yellower than the non + bulbs.
Old 01-28-08, 08:48 PM
shaddow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by emoshun
Stay away from the eBay seller oem_xenon_parts. He rips people off, buying on ebay for pennies, and then tripling the price, and claiming its a good dal.

I would suggest you find a pair of TSX low beam projetors, and stay with your OEM high beams.

TSX is the best bang for the buck between output, and price, they can't be beat!
Hey, thanks for throwing a monkey wrench in my plans!

As for the TSX projectors, if they're really that much better (you're not the first person to try to sway me away from the e46's), then maybe I'll go that route. My only real concern now would be filling the gap between the projector lens and the opening in the headlight.

Now, with regards to that oem_xenon_parts guy, I can't help but notice that he has some of the nicer projectors available on ebay, and at decent prices... Do you know of an alternative? I'm just not really seeing anything else that's considerably cheaper on ebay at the moment... Maybe check a junkyard or something?
Old 01-28-08, 10:46 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

thats why i didn't recomend using the tsx. if u don't mind the gap then by all means. or if not get a tsx projector with shrouds.

as i mention earlier... i meant to swap the lense from the E46 on to the ES300stock projector.

because the lense on the es300 is really thick. i always wanted to find out how it would look

(off topic)
oh by the way... the hottest thing in new york crime is projectors.
there was plenty of cases where cars after cars had here headligh stolen. also considering the popularity of retro fitting. o.O
Old 01-29-08, 12:19 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Fill the gap with these!

2.25" Chrome Custom Trim Bezels:

Our smooth chrome bezels finish off your project with a soft taper and curve that compliments any custom job.

This piece is a universal fit for any 2.25 inch lens opening. We have tested it with single xenon Valeo, single xenon TSX and single xenon e46 projectors and they are a great fit.

Chrome Trim Ring Dimensions:

Max Outer Diameter = 2 7/8"
Inner Diameter = 2 1/4"
Max depth = 1/2"
Fits Lens Diameter of 2 1/4"
Price $48.99/Pair

Originally Posted by shaddow
Now, with regards to that oem_xenon_parts guy, I can't help but notice that he has some of the nicer projectors available on ebay, and at decent prices... Do you know of an alternative? I'm just not really seeing anything else that's considerably cheaper on ebay at the moment... Maybe check a junkyard or something?
He has nice projectors at top dollar prices, like his TL's, his S2000's, his ballasts, and his shrouds are all 30%-150% higher than fair market value. Be wary.

If you need a certain set/pair of projectors let me know, and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited by emoshun; 01-29-08 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 10:37 AM
shaddow
Driver School Candidate

Freaking awesome, emoshun! Thanks for showing me those bezels. I guess I'll probably end up going with the TSX projectors now.

Sooo, uhhhh... Got a good source for those?
Old 01-29-08, 11:04 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys! Just wanted to swing by and share some info that can help you out.

Shadow, check your PM if you haven't found a source yet. Also, feel free to go back and check through a couple of my threads. You'll find some cool stuff on the ES300 retrofit that might help you out.

Originally Posted by swifty562
beside what caoboy mention, your good to go. the E46 is 3'' lense just like the stock es300 projectors, so thats a good thing.

good luck with your retro, have a DIY if you can and post up.

if you can do me the biggest favor?

use the E46 lense on the stock ES300 projectors and tell me if theres a different.
Swifty, the E46 lense is smaller than the ES300 stock lense from his car. The ES300 one is around 3 inches while the E46 one is around 2.5" if I remember correctly. Which is why emoshun is suggesting Shadow use those bezels which I think look great BTW. If only you had those when I did my 95 ES300 retro a few years ago...(Wow I feel old lol)
Old 01-29-08, 11:10 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Sorry Shadow, I've sold off all my TSX's for $135 shipped.

If I had an extra pair, I'd give them to you for that price.

Try asking around here, or search eBay, but don't pay more than $140 shipped for a pair of TSX's!
Old 01-29-08, 11:17 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cosign! If you can find the 04-05 model TSX go for those. They have the perfectly clear lense. I hear the newer ones aren't as clear/sharp...I haven't got my hands on an 07-08 to test though but I believe the manufacturer changed the optics on those HID projectors to reduce the sharpness of the cuttoff.

Kioto did this with the S2000 HID units from 2000-2002. They got complaints from owners saying some were getting sea sick because their HID beam patterns were too sharp

Quick Reply: '95 Lexus ES300 Retrofit questions