Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

will there be any negative outcomes if i use 10,000k bulbs in a oem hids?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 03:34 PM
sc habits
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will there be any negative outcomes if i use 10,000k bulbs in a oem hids?

just like the title states will anything happen if i use 10,000k bulbs into the original oem hid kit? mines in need of replacement and i was just wondering thanks!
Old 02-02-07, 03:49 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May look a little funny
Old 02-02-07, 03:56 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, technically the higher the kelvin the bluer and darker it gets. this means it will be less visible when you drive as well. the higher the kelvin produces a cooler color so there should be no harm to your headlight housings. if anything stay away from lower kelvin temperatures which are brighter. but even so, it won't harm our housings since the bulb placement is very far away from the lens.
some other cars like 2nd gen eclipses can not use aftermarket or high performance hid bulbs because they can be very close to the lens and actually cause melting and discoloration to the lens.
just my $.02 you shouldn't have a problem, you'll most likely lose a little visibility
Old 02-02-07, 03:56 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why? I used 12000K in my GS for both headlight and fogs... looks good... IMO

this is how it looks in the fog.. at the time of picture, I don't have the 12000K installed in my headlights yet.. but you get the idea...
Attached Thumbnails will there be any negative outcomes if i use 10,000k bulbs in a oem hids?-gshid-1-.jpg  
Old 02-02-07, 04:06 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
why? I used 12000K in my GS for both headlight and fogs... looks good... IMO

this is how it looks in the fog.. at the time of picture, I don't have the 12000K installed in my headlights yet.. but you get the idea...
not saying it won't work. just the more yellow the light or less kelvin there is the more visibility there is i.e. rain, wet roads, fog, etc... i love the bluer look myself. i have 9000K in my driving lights. My fogs will be 3000K yellows. nice set up by the way
Old 02-02-07, 04:23 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use 12000K in my headlights, look really cool (nice and purpleish bluey), in my fogs i use 3000K Golden yellow HId under the factory yellow fogs. I would definitly use the 10000K over the stock 4300K
Old 02-02-07, 06:58 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly, the K ratings are all meaningless. Many of the overseas manufacturers don't know what it means at all. They just slap a crazy number on the box for marketing purposes. Many people think that the Kelvin indicates a brighter light(FYI: it does not mean that at all. It's only an indicator of the color of the light). I've seen someone that claimed he had 30,000K HID's...they looked very very blue to me(on real kelvin scale would be close to 9000k). I don't even know if 30000K falls within the domain of visible light.

Many of those manufacturers have their own "industry standard" rating for the lights. Usually 6000k= blue and 8000k= purple(sometimes even opposite of that). If you actually check those kelvin numbers to the corresponding plot on the kelvin color chart, then you will see that it's way off. I've seen some kits that sell as a 12,000K and it was pink light! Trust me...that's no where close to what 12,000K is in real life.

Also keep in mind, the further off the bulb is from white (4000-4500k) then the worse your CRI will be. This is very important because even the OEM HID bulb at 4300k only has a CRI level of approx 70. With the blue/purple bulbs that level will be reduced much further. (CRI= color rendering index, basically a measurement of how well a light source can render colors. 100 being perfect color rendition, and 0 being monochromatic) Halogens are around 99 while 4300k HID's are usually around 70. You want to be able to distinguish the road from grass or a curb. Your eyes will have a very difficult time doing that when you can't see the different colors and shades at night! This is also why blue bulbs make it harder to see at night. Their light output is diminished already from the colorshift to blue(less lumens), and also your CRI is reduced. Blue light will also trick your eyes into thinking you see more, but in fact you don't. Just try to look into the distance with colored bulbs.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Put those bulbs in your headlights and see how you like the output. Drive around for a bit and see if it is bright enough for you. Look carefully at how far you can see and how well you can distinguish obstacles on the road. As far as electrical and fitment issues, there should not be any. It's just the problem of reduced visibility.

As for me, I'll stick with my 4300K bulbs. Highest light output and best CRI of the bunch. I have projectors so people will see blue in my cutoff all day long . Note to all you guys, get the lights for yourself, not for other people to see....ooo cool blue/purple/pink lights. If you want the cool factor, get a retrofit done and run 4300k bulbs

I think I should post up a few articles in the lighting section and have the mods make it a sticky or something.

-End of ramble-
Jeff
Old 02-02-07, 07:59 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

^wow very well put! thanks!
Old 02-02-07, 08:08 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i thaught once you go over 10k kelvin, you would get into the pink hue....

still looking to change mine and make it look like this

Old 02-02-07, 08:13 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

^wowsers nice whip
Old 02-02-07, 08:49 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can't wait to see what these 14k look like
Old 02-02-07, 10:45 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GATO
i thaught once you go over 10k kelvin, you would get into the pink hue....

still looking to change mine and make it look like this

holy sweetness...

I have pink HID bulbs sitting around the garage - I think I'm gonna try that tomorrow. won't look as good though on a silver GS.
Old 02-02-07, 11:24 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
holy sweetness...

I have pink HID bulbs sitting around the garage - I think I'm gonna try that tomorrow. won't look as good though on a silver GS.
I'll buy from you if you dont like
Old 02-02-07, 11:34 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

haha Gato - you're quick man.

i think i'm gonna go throw them in right now and see how they look. brb in 15 minutes.

i'll take pics.
Old 02-03-07, 12:05 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

ta daaaaaaaaa.

i think it's definitely different. not sure if i'd have a polarg white in the middle - it would be cool if i just disabled them and showed pink all around.

most likely just for show use - i can't see driving around like this for too long before getting pulled over.

Quick Reply: will there be any negative outcomes if i use 10,000k bulbs in a oem hids?