Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

ES 300 HID headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 02:42 PM
kyfucius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hear that phillips makes HID lights that fit the ES300. has anyone actully seen them ? are they worth the money (around 600 i suppose) ? Thanks
Old 07-17-01, 04:05 PM
sur4dude

Post it slices, dices.....

and even blends a nice smoothie....all for a low price of ...$600 LOL. Just kiddin there.

But yeah, $600 is a large chunk of change for lights. Stock seems somehow fine...

Don't get me wrong, if you want'em, buy'em because ultimately it's YOU who decides worthyness (such a word??) of a mod. Lighting is a important one too.

Just me $.02
Old 07-17-01, 05:17 PM
cialz
Driver

everywhere i hear people paying 500 y r u paying 600?
Old 07-17-01, 06:21 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Lightbulb

How about 25.00 with a lifetime guarantee the lights will work and not melt your harness. That's what I have and they look a million time better than stock.
Old 07-17-01, 07:47 PM
sur4dude

Default $25?

What HID lights did you get that cost only $25? You're not referring to just bulbs? Like PIAA's?
Old 07-17-01, 08:22 PM
cialz
Driver

25 are for wanta be hid
i know cuz i got a set

anyone change their fog lights to white??
Old 07-17-01, 08:35 PM
sur4dude

Anyone change their fogs to yellow? I'm referring to 97-00 ES's. I think 92-94 or 95 had yellow fog lights.

I heard Hella Yellow Star bulbs aren't that yellow.
Old 07-22-01, 11:31 AM
face
Driver School Candidate

“i hear that phillips makes HID lights that fit the ES300. has anyone actully seen them ?”

Actually, Philips does not MAKE HID kits. Rather, independent firms use Philips components in their kits. Thus the quality of such kits can vary SIGNIFICANTLY from vendor to vendor.

“are they worth the money (around 600 i suppose)?”
“$600.00 is way too much dough for lights.”

How good is your vision? Do you find yourself squinting when driving at night? Is trying to see at night causing fatigue? Do you just want to see better at night? If so, maybe $600 for a quality HID kit is worth it for you. Such a lighting upgrade may not add horsepower or make your ES corner better, but seeing better is worthwhile to your safety. Hmm, you’ll probably pay about the same for an exhaust and intake system that adds a lousy 6 horsepower. Is that worth it???

“they'll probably melt your wiring and lens covers”

Nope. Unlike high wattage halogen replacement bulbs, a quality HID kit will not melt wiring nor lenses. An HID bulb draws only 35 watts, versus the stock halogen at 55 watts. HID generates more light, less heat.

“you'll have to put up with everybody constantly flashing you because they think you have your brights on.”

In most cases, a properly installed, properly aimed quality HID retrofit kit should not be mistaken for high beams. Retrofitting HID into domestic and older (say, pre-1992) lamps is usually a bad idea since they have poor beam patterns to start with.

“How about 25.00 with a lifetime guarantee the lights will work and not melt your harness. That's what I have and they look a million time better than stock.”
“25 are for wanta be hid i know cuz i got a set”

Unless they are made by a reputable electrics maker such as Philips, Osram Sylvannia or Stanley Raybrig, these bulbs are most likely, well, junk. These bulbs probably have a heavy blue coating that cuts out a lot of useable light and their filament geometry is usually poor. Remember, filament placement is very critical for proper light projection! Further, you can easily tell if they are not HID; the light is too blue and there is very little light on the ground. You are then left with this choice: do you want to see, or do you just want to look cool? If the later, don’t spend $600, just go for the poseur bulbs.

“Anyone change their fogs to yellow? I'm referring to 97-00 ES's. I think 92-94 or 95 had yellow fog lights.
I heard Hella Yellow Star bulbs aren't that yellow.”

The ‘92-’94 ES used yellow projector beam fogs. The ‘95-’96 and ‘97-’01 ES have clear fogs that use the H3 bulb. PIAA makes an H3 bulb which precisely matches the fogs in the ‘92-’94. It’s called “Ion Crystal”. They also cost “an arm and a leg”. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 07-22-01, 10:30 PM
face
Driver School Candidate

Please click the link below to see my previous ramblings about HID.

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=16832
Old 07-23-01, 12:51 AM
sur4dude

Default Thanks Face!!!

"The ‘92-’94 ES used yellow projector beam fogs. The ‘95-’96 and ‘97-’01 ES have clear fogs that use the H3 bulb. PIAA makes an H3 bulb which precisely matches the fogs in the ‘92-’94. It’s called “Ion Crystal”. They also cost “an arm and a leg”. Hope this helps. Good luck!"

Yeah I checked into the PIAA bulbs. I might just get them tho. It doesn't seem that the stock fog lights function, meaning it doesn't seem to make a difference whether on or off.

Unike my 4th gen maxima when I switch on the fogs (stock bulbs), it lights up everything in front of the car and to the sides too. I can even see the shoulder lane. It just spreads a wide beam of light that noticeably lights your way.

I don't drive with fog lights on actually. I use it on real dark roads that have limited light. On freeways and main thoroughfares I just use my headlights. BUT I'd like know the fog lights will light up my way when I need them to.

Thanks again Face!!
Old 07-23-01, 10:16 PM
face
Driver School Candidate

Yo, sur4dude! You're foglights aren't lighting up the nearby foreground, eh??? Sounds like your foglights aren't aimed properly. Slide under your ES and undo the black plastic shrouding so you can get to the back of the foglamp housing. There, you'll find the aiming bolts. Bust out with your wrench and turn the bolt until you raise the beam. To aim to a safe and legal level, park the car on a flat surface 25 feet from a wall at night. The beam on the wall should be 4 inches lower than the length from the ground to the car's foglamp housing. You'll now have some very useful foglights!

If it's PIAA or Stanley Raybrig you want, peep
www.hitechimportlighting.com

Enjoy!
Old 07-23-01, 10:59 PM
sur4dude

Thumbs up Aim fogs...

Hey Face,
Thanks for the tip on aiming the fogs. I'll check to see that it's aimed properly, if its not 4 inch lower than the distance between the ground and foglamp housing, then I'll adjust it per your descriptions.

I'll also check out the link.

Mahalo!!
Old 09-22-01, 11:59 AM
Funkdoobiest
Driver School Candidate

Although HID kits are expensive, they are dropping in price. I paid $575 for my Philips/Hella Phoenix Microlite half a year ago. The same kit can be bought for $450 now. Last year they were $800.

I have them installed in my 96 3000GT with projectors. I love them, they light up the road like no other bulb I've ever tried(I've tried many "xenon" brands). While the PIAAs and such aftermarket bulbs are a great improvement(oh and let me tell ya) over standard halogens, you'd be surprised on the improvement on HIDs over PIAAs. I have PIAA Super Whites on my fogs, compliment well, but not the same. I cannot see the road at night when I drive my G/F's 94 Camry because I'm so used to the bright, white light. Never, ever have gotten high beams flashed at me. Just my opinion on them, I'll put them on the next car I get, whatever it is.