Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 11:41 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?

Before I bought my GS I test drove the BMW 5, 7, and the 2004 Acura TL. One of the coolest things I liked about those cars is the ambient glow of light in the front area of the cabin at all times during the night. I've noticed that the Acura has 2 small LEDs that are housed in the roof panel just in front of the moonroof and the BMW has these built into the rear view mirror with the same visual impression being accomplished. It basically looks like an airplance cockpit!

I would LOVE to do the same to my roof panel in the GS to get that little extra sense of refined luxury and style when I'm driving at night so I'm calling out to all GS owners to help make this mod possible. If you can offer any input- it will REALLY help the cause.

Things to think about for this mod:

1) Power is already available since there are lights up there already.
2) The LEDs would have to be mounted so they are not visible to the driver so it's not distracting and so it limits the scope of what is lit up in the cabin.
3) Controlling the power for these LEDs. They can't always be running otherwise you'd kill your battery so how would these switch on and off? Wiring to the map lights would be cool and you could turn them on and off but there are only two buttons. Perhaps wire both map lights to one button and have the other button for the LEDs? (I actually prefer using the vanity mirror light because it's not as bright and the cover shields my eyes from the actual light source.)

Steps to accomplishing this mod:

1) Learning how to remove the panel.
2) Figuring out what kind of LEDs to use.
3) Locating a power wire that turns off when the car is off
4) Figuring out how to mount the LEDs to the panel. I can already imagine drilling two BB sized holes into the panel just in front of the buttons for the garage door buttons but will there be enough room up there to house and mount the LEDs?
5) What color LEDs should be used? Light green to match the instrument cluster and climate control panel? Blue is kinda played out. I have a friend who mounted blue LEDs into her a/c air vents and it looks fantastic at night and although I can appreciate it under certain circumstances, it's (IMO) too ricey for driving around family and business clients.

Anyway, what do you all think?? Can we do this??
Old 11-07-04, 01:12 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you show us some pics of what you are trying to accomplish and we can probably get this project rolling.
Old 11-07-04, 01:29 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this the light that gives light to the gear selection?

aka the 2004 honda accord ( the amber light that comes from the rear view mirror?)
Old 11-07-04, 03:44 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to use the correct resistor for your LED type.

Depending on your preference you can tap the wire to many things.

If you want it to be on everytime you start the car, you can tap to the the remote power from your radio

If you would only want it to turn on at night while you're driving, you can tap it to the dash light
Old 11-07-04, 10:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i wuld love to see if there are any pics, it sounds like a very complicated but nice project!
Old 11-07-04, 11:34 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I've been looking to do this for a long time, but I can't bring myself to start drilling holes into the plastic area around the map light. Since I have a 5 series at home, I can use it as a "template" for the holes. In fact, the holes are drilled at an angle away from the driver so from where you are sitting on driver's seat, you won't be able to see the LEDs at all. All you can see is the ambient reddish glow all over your center console.

It's not a very complicated project and I suggest to tap to parking light so everytime you turn on your light, these LEDs will turn on too, and only at night.

I got a huge LED project for the whole car in 2005 which includes illuminated interior door handles, illuminated cup holders, illuminated outside door handles and lower side mirrors, illuminated center console and of course the illuminated underbody sideskirts. Of course, all the exterior stuff will only light up when you unlock your car with a remote and in conjunction with your center interior dome light. (VIP magazines are your friend!)
Old 11-08-04, 05:07 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
I've been looking to do this for a long time, but I can't bring myself to start drilling holes into the plastic area around the map light. Since I have a 5 series at home, I can use it as a "template" for the holes. In fact, the holes are drilled at an angle away from the driver so from where you are sitting on driver's seat, you won't be able to see the LEDs at all. All you can see is the ambient reddish glow all over your center console.

It's not a very complicated project and I suggest to tap to parking light so everytime you turn on your light, these LEDs will turn on too, and only at night.

I got a huge LED project for the whole car in 2005 which includes illuminated interior door handles, illuminated cup holders, illuminated outside door handles and lower side mirrors, illuminated center console and of course the illuminated underbody sideskirts. Of course, all the exterior stuff will only light up when you unlock your car with a remote and in conjunction with your center interior dome light. (VIP magazines are your friend!)
did I mention I would pay your plane fare and shack you up in my house for you to come over and do all of that to my car??
Old 11-08-04, 07:41 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Ambient Lighting

Lexus does have this feature, so you may want to consult with the Service/Parts Departments at your Lexus Dealership. The feature is standard with the `04 GX470. [It also may be on earlier GX models, but I have an `04, so that's what I know.]
Old 11-08-04, 05:08 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Here are the photos of the Acura TL.

Think we can do something like that????

I'm sure Jon's architecting some ideas for his PHAT ride right now...

Clifford
Old 11-08-04, 06:28 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

These pics are from an 03 LS

I'm trying to do the same mod for my IS as well, did the footwell lights on the IS with blue LEDs, hopefully I can match them with some blue LEDs for my overhead console and door handles
Attached Thumbnails Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?-dscn0472.jpg  

Last edited by TRD-bB; 11-08-04 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 06:30 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Door handles
Attached Thumbnails Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?-dscn0473.jpg  
Old 11-08-04, 07:58 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Aiyaiayai, this is exactly what i want. The LEDs inside the overhead switch is PERFECT!

Old 11-08-04, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow damn, that's very nice! now that's something i wanna see get done

but like jon said, man, that's very scary to drill all the holes @_@
Old 11-08-04, 09:32 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default do you speak cantonese?

Hey Jon,

I speak Cantonese and busted up laughing when I read your post that started with "Aiyaiayai"!

I thought the same thing when I saw the LS pics!

Think it'll be tough to run the wire from the parking lamp? I don't think it'll be that hard to run it up the a-pillar and through the roof panel over to the middle. we'll see...

c.

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Aiyaiayai, this is exactly what i want. The LEDs inside the overhead switch is PERFECT!

Old 11-08-04, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: do you speak cantonese?

Originally posted by cliffud
Hey Jon,

I speak Cantonese and busted up laughing when I read your post that started with "Aiyaiayai"!

I thought the same thing when I saw the LS pics!

Think it'll be tough to run the wire from the parking lamp? I don't think it'll be that hard to run it up the a-pillar and through the roof panel over to the middle. we'll see...

c.
no he doesn't. he's from indonesia and i asked him if he speaks cantonese or mandarin before already

and i speak both cantonese and mandarin

i think it's doable, and i don't think wiring is going to be that hard. finding the right led and drilling holes, that's the challenge i suppose?

an i GUESS, if you drill holes on the door panel, you will need to make sure you seal it back up well otherwise you get more noise through the holes?

Quick Reply: Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?