LFA Model (2012)

"LFA almost sold out" VP of Lexus sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 07:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default "LFA almost sold out" VP of Lexus sales

I am sure he means as far as Lexus/Toyota corporate sales are concerned.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012...ld-out-almost/

Looking for an appropriate last minute Father’s Day present for your dad the hedge fund manager?

Better move fast if the $375,000 Lexus LFA is high on your list. Even if the price tag doesn’t put it out of your reach, you may soon be out of luck, according to an official with Toyota’s luxury subsidiary.

After two years, it seems Lexus has just about run out of the 500 carbon-fiber supercars it built and isn’t planning to produce any more.

Give a Free Subscription for Father's Day!

“The supply is down to single digits,” said Tim Morrison, Lexus vice president of sales, and most of those are actually tied up by dealers.

Following the presentation of the decidedly more mundane Lexus ES, Morrison said LFA sales were considered a success since it created a huge, positive halo for the brand.

The Lexus LFA uses active aero and a high-rev V-10 to reach speeds of up to 202 mph.

Lexus promoted the LFA as not only just another supercar but one that featured some significant technological breakthroughs. Notable was the extensive use of carbon fiber — in this case, the light, strong but extremely expensive material was woven using a technique borrowed from the fabric industry. (Lexus parent Toyota original started out as a textile manufacturer.) The car’s 552 horsepower V-10 was developed with the assistance of Yamaha and features titanium valves and connecting rods, the better to push it to a 9,000 RPM redline. With advanced aerodynamics including an active rear spoiler, the LFA is capable of 0 to 60 times of 3.6 seconds with a Ferrari-challenging top speed of 202 mph.

(For a review of the Lexus LFA, Click Here.)

Not that many LFAs made it to the States, fewer than 200 shipped here — with most of those going to customers in high-profile regions such as California and Florida. Only about two-dozen were actually sold in the Midwest through Lexus’ Chicago Region, Lexus officials said.

The LFA was a pet project of Toyota chairman Akio Toyoda, himself a serious racing and high performance fan, but the company has not made any kind of commitment to build a next-generation model that would maintain the Lexus presence in the supercar segment.

“There are no plans for a replacement,” a spokesman said.

Old 06-20-12, 09:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

LFA availability in the single digits is great news. So I guess the biggest question is, who gets #500 of 500? North America or somewhere else in the world?
Old 06-20-12, 10:07 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had the resources right now to build myself a gengar blue on black/white NUR edition.
Old 06-20-12, 10:26 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
LFA availability in the single digits is great news. So I guess the biggest question is, who gets #500 of 500? North America or somewhere else in the world?
We already know that. Looks like you have not been keeping up.

Roy Mallady (#003) ordered his 2nd LFA and requested it to be #500 in metallic blue paint (source: AutoCar interview with Ben Barry).

If I were him, I would got my second LFA with the Nurburgring edition like E.Kanoo did.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-20-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 10:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
We already know that. Looks like you have not been keeping up.

Roy Mallady (#003) ordered his 2nd LFA and requested it to be #500 in metallic blue paint (source: AutoCar interview with Ben Barry).

If I were him, I would got my second LFA with the Nurburgring edition like E.Kanoo did.
He requested it, and i'm sure others in the world have requested it too.
Old 06-20-12, 01:23 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
He requested it, and i'm sure others in the world have requested it too.
They should do a draw for this, but I have a feeling it's not going to happen.

So I guess there are going to be a flurry of LFAs arriving in the US during the next 10 months or so. Out of 170 units, only about 90 were 'sold' as end of May.

On a different note, an white LFA with red interior has made it into Toronto. Not sure if it were a US car, but listed for sales here

http://preowned.germanstarmotors.ca/...012&Make=Lexus