LFA Model (2012)

LFA battery life experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 09:55 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default LFA battery life experiences?

The second battery I've had in my LFA seems to have died today - figured I'd ask other owners how their batteries have been doing? I'm too lazy to check the manual, so I'm assuming our car uses a lightweight battery (like the lithiums available on various Porsche models?) Do these tend to last for fewer years than standard batteries?

Either way, considering I took delivery 6 years ago, going through two batteries isn't that terrible. Also, Lexus did warranty my first battery so kudos to them for that.
Old 05-19-17, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious how often you drive your LFA? I assume the IS F is your daily, and the GTS gets more action than your LFA? Although this won't help with a dead cell, a trickle charger would be a good investment for some of your vehicles if you don't drive them often.
Old 05-19-17, 04:31 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Curious how often you drive your LFA? I assume the IS F is your daily, and the GTS gets more action than your LFA? Although this won't help with a dead cell, a trickle charger would be a good investment for some of your vehicles if you don't drive them often.
On average, I drive my LFA about once a week. The LFA actually comes with a trickle charger, which I never used on the first battery (except when it started dying). With the second battery, I've disconnected the battery whenever I was out of town for an extended period of time, and would use the trickle charger before and after the trip (this was the recommendation of one of the Lexus reps).

I need to check records and figure out when that first battery was warrantied. I suddenly got a thought that it might actually have been in 2012, because I first started having problems with the first battery in 2012. Certainly it was warrantied no later than early-to-mid 2013.

The GTS is my daily - I drive it more than the IS-F now. Looking to replace the IS-F with a car with more utility.
Old 05-19-17, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

2 batteries in 6 years is a lot considering the mileage and time. but if it was replaced in 2013 then this second one is 4 years so it's better, but still on the early side i think.

if you are not driving the car, you should just keep the battery on the tender all the time. is the lexus one made by ctek? ctek is good, they don't just keep your battery charged (which is actually bad for the battery), they cycle through modes to charge and drain the batter stimulating actual use. this is what keeps the battery running strong for longer period of time. most people i know with cars not driven often their tenders are connected all the time. again this is if the tenders stimulate use otherwise it's just as bad as not using.

i have ctek for my nsx that i probably put less than 300 miles a year and it's been great. a lot of exotic car owners that i know use ctek on their cars. i believe at some point (or maybe still) ferrari use ctek tender rebadged.
Old 05-19-17, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

also, just curious, what are you going to replace the battery with this time? lexus factory one? do you know the battery type? maybe not a bad idea to replace with dry cell (if it's not already)
Old 05-19-17, 10:29 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by rominl
2 batteries in 6 years is a lot considering the mileage and time. but if it was replaced in 2013 then this second one is 4 years so it's better, but still on the early side i think.

if you are not driving the car, you should just keep the battery on the tender all the time. is the lexus one made by ctek? ctek is good, they don't just keep your battery charged (which is actually bad for the battery), they cycle through modes to charge and drain the batter stimulating actual use. this is what keeps the battery running strong for longer period of time. most people i know with cars not driven often their tenders are connected all the time. again this is if the tenders stimulate use otherwise it's just as bad as not using.

i have ctek for my nsx that i probably put less than 300 miles a year and it's been great. a lot of exotic car owners that i know use ctek on their cars. i believe at some point (or maybe still) ferrari use ctek tender rebadged.
IIRC the Lexus rep told me not to keep the tender on all the time (even during extended periods of not driving it) - do not know the reason for this.

I intend to replace it with a factory battery.
Old 05-21-17, 11:32 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
IIRC the Lexus rep told me not to keep the tender on all the time (even during extended periods of not driving it) - do not know the reason for this.

I intend to replace it with a factory battery.
The C-Tek one?
Old 05-21-17, 12:49 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by flipside909
The C-Tek one?
Yes, the CTEK. The Lexus rep didn't elaborate on why the tender shouldn't be used for extended periods of time.
Old 05-21-17, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know all ctek versions to tell if there are any difference, but most of their modern type have the function i mentioned and they are meant to be connected all the time. there are even indicators on the charger to show if how the tender is stimulating use and then charging it up again.
Old 05-22-17, 07:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Yes, the CTEK. The Lexus rep didn't elaborate on why the tender shouldn't be used for extended periods of time.
I'll get more clarification for you.
Old 05-22-17, 07:52 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

keeping a battery tender on the battery at all times will kill the battery.

I've owned dozens of motorcycles and this is always an issue on one's not ridden for periods of time.. I use an electronic timer on my tenders, one that allows you to set not just time, but days.. I have it auto cycle on for 8 hours every 7 days.. I figure if the battery has lost power 8 hours is enough to charge it back up, when I used to leave the tenders on all the time and rely on their internal ability to "tend" it usually killed the battery over the course of 4-6 months. With the timer the batteries have lasted 5-6 years without issue. .
Old 05-22-17, 09:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you use a dummy charger that gives off constant power then yea, it's going to eventually overcook the battery. "Smart" chargers like the CTEK will recognize when the battery is full and stop charging. Even if you disconnect the battery, it still needs to be maintained as lead acid batteries have relatively high self-discharging rate.
The following users liked this post:
rominl (05-22-17)
Old 05-23-17, 10:23 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hm...I've always hooked up the battery tender to mine and it's still running strong. Still using the original battery. No issues at all...
The following users liked this post:
rominl (05-24-17)