LFA Model (2012)

Will LFA prices ever rise into the million-dollar level?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 01:44 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
I've seen both and they have 2-3 miles.
Then they haven't even been serviced.

No way anyone is offering $700k for them - I wouldn't even offer MSRP.
Old 07-02-17, 03:26 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Then they haven't even been serviced.

No way anyone is offering $700k for them - I wouldn't even offer MSRP.
No, as I mentioned they haven't been touched, roped off indoors.

Well maybe you didnt read my post, someone did offer a million in cash but then cancelled after they couldn't get it started.

Cars that sit like this need overhauls of lots and lots of components since they're not run frequently. When I last spoke with a guy I do work for in California, he has every car started every 6 months and driven around, but was considering every three months after we found most of his cars were having issues from sitting around. And he has 250+ cars in his collection.
Old 07-03-17, 01:08 AM
gengar

Well maybe you didnt read my post, someone did offer a million in cash but then cancelled after they couldn't get it started.
I read your post - I just don't believe that it actually happened. I've been approached by dealers with Nür offers several times over the years because people know I wanted to pick up a Nür edition and about half of them were at MSRP, but I refuse to pay anywhere close to MSRP for one, especially when it was "dealer new" but typically with 300-400 miles on it. Actually, just earlier this year or maybe late last year I got cold-called by a dealer about a Pearl Red (prob my 2nd favorite standard color) with under 3k miles and they were asking well under MSRP, but it was not a Nür.

Cars that sit like this need overhauls of lots and lots of components since they're not run frequently. When I last spoke with a guy I do work for in California, he has every car started every 6 months and driven around, but was considering every three months after we found most of his cars were having issues from sitting around. And he has 250+ cars in his collection.
Well yeah. The oil needs to get to temperature as well or it will develop particulates regardless, which also tend to sink in the oil if it's not being started regularly so that just compounds the problem. Even every three months is no way to treat a collection IMO - might as well just keep the car body at that point. That's why I shipped my LFA out of the midwest, because I didn't even want to store the car during the winter.

Last edited by gengar; 07-03-17 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 11:25 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

I read your post - I just don't believe that it actually happened. I've been approached by dealers with Nür offers several times over the years because people know I wanted to pick up a Nür edition and about half of them were at MSRP, but I refuse to pay anywhere close to MSRP for one, especially when it was "dealer new" but typically with 300-400 miles on it. Actually, just earlier this year or maybe late last year I got cold-called by a dealer about a Pearl Red (prob my 2nd favorite standard color) with under 3k miles and they were asking well under MSRP, but it was not a Nür.

Well yeah. The oil needs to get to temperature as well or it will develop particulates regardless, which also tend to sink in the oil if it's not being started regularly so that just compounds the problem. Even every three months is no way to treat a collection IMO - might as well just keep the car body at that point. That's why I shipped my LFA out of the midwest, because I didn't even want to store the car during the winter.
when your a famous millionaire, you don't care. No, the problem with the oil is that it oxidizes and hoses begin to rot, the oil remains clean.

Well, don't believe me all you want, but it did happen. Call Ryan Rohrman(Bob's grandson) or Aldo at McGrath, I promise you those aren't going to sell for less than that. I know these guys personally and when Bob Rohrman is almost worth a billion, why would he deal with a random guy who's complaining about a few thousand on what he knows is a precious collectible? A dealer that is in trouble will gladly move this car. Bob knows where this car will end up, with 3 miles on the dash, every other LFA continues to lose value with every mile, while his just sits. McGrath I don't know why they're holding it.
Old 07-03-17, 03:27 PM
gengar

when your a famous millionaire, you don't care. No, the problem with the oil is that it oxidizes and hoses begin to rot, the oil remains clean.

Well, don't believe me all you want, but it did happen. Call Ryan Rohrman(Bob's grandson) or Aldo at McGrath, I promise you those aren't going to sell for less than that. I know these guys personally and when Bob Rohrman is almost worth a billion, why would he deal with a random guy who's complaining about a few thousand on what he knows is a precious collectible? A dealer that is in trouble will gladly move this car. Bob knows where this car will end up, with 3 miles on the dash, every other LFA continues to lose value with every mile, while his just sits. McGrath I don't know why they're holding it.
lol, no need to take it so personally. My only advice is not to believe everything people tell you.

And just as a side note - what is it exactly that can happen to oil after it oxidizes?
Old 07-03-17, 05:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Those cars with 2-3 miles, they're going to need a bit of work before I'd start driving them. Sitting like that in an air conditioned space does wonders for preserving the paint, leather, all the cosmetics. Stuff like the oil, coolant, trans-axle and diff fluid, all that is going to need to be replaced. Brakes will need to be inspected, new brake fluid, slider pins greased, anything that needs lubrication needs to be checked on those cars. Tires will also need to be replaced, as I'm sure they're flat spotted. New battery as well.

The LFA is one of these cars, if you take it out, you drive it hard. I'd make sure those ultra low mileage garage queens were properly serviced and have fresh tires before I took delivery. I don't see the point of owning a car if you don't drive it. I'm not talking about every day, but at least a couple times a month.
Old 07-03-17, 07:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a nice chance to chat with the Manager of one of these collector garages

He mentioned that a lot of big money guys get heavy into the garage queen stuff as they are able to benefit from about 17% annual appreciation on the right cars and they have the bonus of bragging rights from owning automotive art

They don't drive them to avoid depreciation

Every time I see that ring edition LFA sitting there I feel bad about all the effort it took to create a dust collector
Old 07-03-17, 08:55 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

lol, no need to take it so personally. My only advice is not to believe everything people tell you.

And just as a side note - what is it exactly that can happen to oil after it oxidizes?
True.

Well it starts to create high levels of acid, viscosity increases due to oxidation, and it can create corrosive wear. In short, oxidation breaks down the hydrocarbons, the oil can't handle the load as well anymore and you raise temperatures because of the different shapes the hydrocarbons take. So you're getting poor lubrication, you're corroding internals, creating additional heat and wear, and then the oil starts a downward cycle in a nutshell.

And don't forget the write offs some of them can get!

Aron9000, I like how you think. I'd even go so far as to have the hoses and rubber lines replaced.
Old 07-03-17, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I had a nice chance to chat with the Manager of one of these collector garages

He mentioned that a lot of big money guys get heavy into the garage queen stuff as they are able to benefit from about 17% annual appreciation on the right cars and they have the bonus of bragging rights from owning automotive art

They don't drive them to avoid depreciation

Every time I see that ring edition LFA sitting there I feel bad about all the effort it took to create a dust collector
yup, definitely very sad...

interesting how on the other hand porsche is planning to penalize owners who are into flipping their cars
Old 07-03-17, 09:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Aron9000, I like how you think. I'd even go so far as to have the hoses and rubber lines replaced.
People think rubber hoses, vacuum lines, weatherstripping, that type of stuff wears out if you don't use a car. I've found, if you store it properly, that stuff lasts a damn long time. Maybe at one time, back in the 50's/60's/70's that was true, when materials technology was a lot more primitive.

A lot of people lock their cars in storage units, which are metal and brick boxes with no insulation, no air conditioning, no ventelation, which can reach 120, 130, 140 degrees in the summer in hot climates. Then in cold climates, it can be the same air temperature inside one of these storage units as it is outside, ie around 0 degrees for 3-4 months of the year.

Anyways, I'm daily driving a 1992 Lexus SC300-5 speed, 100,500 original miles. Not a single bit of that rubber stuff has been replaced, original owner had the car, garage kept until 60k miles in 2012. I've had it under a carport since 2012 and driven it 40k miles. All the rubber vacuum hoses, radiator hoses, door seals, trunk seal, all of those rubber bits look brand new. I think a big part of it was that Toyota specced the best rubber parts, the stuff lasts.

Anyways, my point is, based on my experience with my 1992 Lexus, the LF-A should hold up well over time if you maintain it properly and drive it every once in a while. Yes those 3 miles in 6 year subjects are going to need a very good once over before you put them into service, mainly because if I'm going to buy an LF-A, I am going to drive it very hard and very fast. Track days and auto-cross would be in the routine.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-03-17 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 05:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Local Lexus dealer "asking" Canadian$599,000 (approx. US$450K+) for a white used regular LFA with 3400km on it.
I won't pay that much for a non-ring car used ... here's a pic of the car next to LC ...
Attached Thumbnails Will LFA prices ever rise into the million-dollar level?-20170704_175333.jpg  
Old 07-05-17, 11:47 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Local Lexus dealer "asking" Canadian$599,000 (approx. US$450K+) for a white used regular LFA with 3400km on it.
I won't pay that much for a non-ring car used ... here's a pic of the car next to LC ...
2010 LFA still holds it own against a 2018 radically designed luxury coupe. Amazing.
Old 07-05-17, 01:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
2010 LFA still holds it own against a 2018 radically designed luxury coupe. Amazing.
The final design was actually in 2008. But, yeah I agree LFA's design has been holding up extremely well. It looks amazing next to the over-the-top design of the LC.
Old 08-03-17, 09:02 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
People think rubber hoses, vacuum lines, weatherstripping, that type of stuff wears out if you don't use a car. I've found, if you store it properly, that stuff lasts a damn long time. Maybe at one time, back in the 50's/60's/70's that was true, when materials technology was a lot more primitive.

A lot of people lock their cars in storage units, which are metal and brick boxes with no insulation, no air conditioning, no ventelation, which can reach 120, 130, 140 degrees in the summer in hot climates. Then in cold climates, it can be the same air temperature inside one of these storage units as it is outside, ie around 0 degrees for 3-4 months of the year.

Anyways, I'm daily driving a 1992 Lexus SC300-5 speed, 100,500 original miles. Not a single bit of that rubber stuff has been replaced, original owner had the car, garage kept until 60k miles in 2012. I've had it under a carport since 2012 and driven it 40k miles. All the rubber vacuum hoses, radiator hoses, door seals, trunk seal, all of those rubber bits look brand new. I think a big part of it was that Toyota specced the best rubber parts, the stuff lasts.

Anyways, my point is, based on my experience with my 1992 Lexus, the LF-A should hold up well over time if you maintain it properly and drive it every once in a while. Yes those 3 miles in 6 year subjects are going to need a very good once over before you put them into service, mainly because if I'm going to buy an LF-A, I am going to drive it very hard and very fast. Track days and auto-cross would be in the routine.
The UOA's on Coolant, trans and engine oils I do for collector vehicles show the fluid picks up a bunch of the rubber when it just sits. I'm not sure exactly how much the hoses would have degraded as no one really does UOA for hoses. I figure I'd rather change the hoses but you may be right.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...s-the-country/

^ ha, I think they took that from our forum.
Old 08-15-17, 10:04 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Wonder how much he would pay me in trade if I brought one to him with the same milage?