LFA Model (2012)

Prospective LFA buyer, have a few Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 01:43 PM
PG12
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to have more LFA / McLaren owners here

The build book is more like a pamphlet, sometimes kept with the rest of the ownership books. If you haven't looked in there yet.
Old 03-21-17, 02:46 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sbp1
From what I understand the car has 2 keys (1 CF and one black), the car cover with bag, first aid kit, and the manual/books.
Should have three keys - 1 CF and two regular (identical to the older, 90s-era Lexus key type that had no integrated buttons). I don't believe that one is a valet key but I may be wrong - I use one of the regular keys and it opens the glove compartment, but have never tried the other regular key. I can check this, but it will be a while as I don't have the other two keys with me.

Originally Posted by sbp1
Also, do you think having non-original wheels negatively affects the value (or potential future value) of the car in a big way?
No, because you still have OEM wheels.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
i believe only a subset of cars were delivered with the build book
That's surprising - did later owners really not get the build book? I guess I should count myself lucky then. That my car would come with a build book was specifically mentioned during my factory tour.

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
From what I remember as soon as the Nurburgring Edition LFA's came out it affected the VIN number being skewed by 2 so that's why the VIN numbers don't reflect exactly to the LFA plaque numbers.
Even mine was skewed by two, though. Was the reason for the VIN discrepancy ever answered with any finality? It is particularly intriguing because the VIN is less, which makes less sense than the other way around.
Old 03-22-17, 10:26 AM
sbp1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Should have three keys - 1 CF and two regular (identical to the older, 90s-era Lexus key type that had no integrated buttons). I don't believe that one is a valet key but I may be wrong - I use one of the regular keys and it opens the glove compartment, but have never tried the other regular key. I can check this, but it will be a while as I don't have the other two keys with me.
I recently went to look at another LFA. 4,000 mile car, but unregistered still. While its out of contention due to price (they want sticker for it - $396K), it was interesting to see what they had with the car (though not all of it was at the dealership). They actually had 4 keys: 1 CF key, 2 black keys, and 1 grey key (key only, no fob). I was told the grey key is a valet key.

That's surprising - did later owners really not get the build book? I guess I should count myself lucky then. That my car would come with a build book was specifically mentioned during my factory tour.

Looks like these books may be harder to find than anticipated. I'll take PG12's advice and check to see if they're with the rest of the ownership books. Thank you both for the help!
Old 03-22-17, 11:35 AM
PG12
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, regarding your wheels. From my chats with LFA dealers, many many people who purchased LFAs post the original 'owner' / dealership owners, would swap the chrome look for the wheels on your car now. I have the polished wheels, and they are not the nicest thing in person...thats just my opinion of course.
Old 03-22-17, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow 4000 miles and they are still trying to sell it off for msrp just because it hasn't bee registered?
Old 03-24-17, 11:26 AM
sbp1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PG12
Also, regarding your wheels. From my chats with LFA dealers, many many people who purchased LFAs post the original 'owner' / dealership owners, would swap the chrome look for the wheels on your car now. I have the polished wheels, and they are not the nicest thing in person...thats just my opinion of course.
Thanks for the clarification. Thats sorta the sense I have been getting too.

Originally Posted by rominl
wow 4000 miles and they are still trying to sell it off for msrp just because it hasn't bee registered?
Yeah, worse than asking list for the mileage is asking list for the condition of the car. The interior has tan seats (which looks great) but are showing a ton of wear, and there condition of the paint is pretty beat up. I fear it will be a long while before the are able to move that car
Old 03-24-17, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, 4000 miles and the condition is already that bad? that shows whoever drives the car shows no respect as a car enthusiast. or maybe the owner is just using the car to drive his friends / customers around. that's bad...

and yup, that's why i can't have tan interior car either
Old 03-24-17, 10:55 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's why i can't have tan interior car either
But white leather seats are okay right?
Old 03-24-17, 10:57 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No, because you still have OEM wheels.

Even mine was skewed by two, though. Was the reason for the VIN discrepancy ever answered with any finality? It is particularly intriguing because the VIN is less, which makes less sense than the other way around.

I got the build book that shows the pictures and details of the process of making my car...
Old 03-28-17, 01:28 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
I got the build book that shows the pictures and details of the process of making my car...
Good to know. It was hard for me to believe that it wouldn't be included in some units, since it's definitely one of the cooler goodies that came with the car and even Haruhiko Tanahashi mentioned it specifically during the factory tour.
Old 04-26-17, 02:16 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's cool to hear Lexus is taking care of LF-A owners, must be a pretty tight knit group!
Old 08-19-17, 08:08 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in California I've seen only one LFA traveling on a highway in a decade. Extremely rare treat. One day I'd like to sit in one for a drive around a track at a Lexus sponsored event.
As a side note, my brother went to Monterey, Cannery row on August 18th and there were a lot of exotic cars there but didn't recall seeing an LFA. If one place you think to see one it would be there.