LFA Model (2012)

TTAC-The Last Word On LFA Sales. Or: How To Cure OCD With One Phone Call

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Exclamation TTAC-The Last Word On LFA Sales. Or: How To Cure OCD With One Phone Call

Bless TTAC...not only have they given one of the most in depth and well written pieces on the LFA, arguably the best one they do a separate article on LFA sales.

Cliffs-LFA sold out in 2010, Trolls will Troll

The writer Bertel does another great piece explaining the LFA sales and also ***** slapping the LFA/Lexus trolls rarely seen by auto editors not named Chris Harris. He shares many points I and others have shared as well and he has multiple examples of the ridiculous reasoning these trolls use to rationalize their idiocy.

It is utterly awesome to read and a big FU to all the LFA trolls out there including the huge 5 piece write-up they won't read likely b/c they lack the skills to comprehend what he is writing.

Live, long, prosper and kick *** Bertel and TTAC

Read the article here

Obsessions are a menace. The daughter of a friend had a shower obsession. “I have an obsessive compulsive disorder,” she would readily admit, only to continue: “I’ll be right back, I need to take a shower.” Such a pretty girl. And she always smelled so good.

A prime obsession of the auto blogosphere are the sales of the Lexus LFA. Is it sold out? Is it not?

(To avoid killing you with the suspense: It is. Has been since April 2010 when Lexus had its 500 orders long before production started in December of that year. Not interesting? I don’t blame you. Stop reading. There is plenty of other content.)

I encountered this manifestation of automotive OCD during the writing of the story about the LFA production. Before the series could even start, I was taken to task over the claim that all 500 LFA are spoken for. Somewhat shrill comments stated they aren’t. Proof presented ranged from eBay links to the counting of LFAs at carshows.

Further research revealed that there is a veritable epidemic of this disorder.

In May last year, Motor Authority, “the luxury and performance leader” of the High Gear family, complained that “only 90 LFAs have been built to date for worldwide sales.” Motor Authority needed to be reminded by Lexus that there had been something called an earthquake and a tsunami (it had brought production of all cars in Japan to a multi-month halt, and turned the Japanese car market into the worst since decades). Like an obstreperous child, Motor Authority continued to write that the LFA “is barely selling at all.”

A month ago, the Detroit Bureau delivered a dissenting view, writing that the LFA is “sold out – almost.” That piece of investigative journalism was picked up eagerly by other automotive media who’s idea of investigative journalism starts with Ctrl-C and ends with Ctrl-V.

To this day, the disorder is keeping discussion pages at Motortrend going. One commenter cited the fact that this discussion only has 12 pages as proof of the underwhelming success of the LFA. After all, “a year ago, a troll thread with LFA in the title would be over 100 pages or locked by now.” (This is your brain on Facebook and Twitter.)

There is one sure-fire cure for this particular kind of OCD: Call and ask.

Don’t call someone at Toyota Motor Sales in the U.S. They will only know their numbers. You need to invest a few dollars into 011-81 and call Toyota HQ in Japan if you want the global view.

After they had done a few days of research, I was told officially and in writing that the LFA was sold out before production started in late 2010. The 500-unit order limit was reached in April 2010, “there even was a waiting list,” says Lexus International head spokesman Hideaki Homma.

The LFA is built to order, something a customer in Europe or Japan will readily understand: You place an order, they build it for you. In the color and with any special wishes you have specified. This may sound alien to someone who picks a car from a dealer lot, this may sound super alien to someone who orders his supercars from Pimp My Supercar V2, but it is what it is.

Armed with that nugget of wisdom, it becomes clear that all 500 can be spoken for, even if some are still being made. Sometimes, it takes a certain degree of maturity to appreciate the fact that “signed, sealed, delivered” can be many months apart.

And what about the handful of LFAs that pop up on eBay? This is something Lexus is not eager to talk about. Not because it reflects badly on them. From placing an order in early 2010 to today is a long time, and a few former high-flyers have fallen on tough times. If people default on mansions, not picking up your supercar when it has arrived is conceivable.

That, however, is a sad and boring story, and why let a phone call get in the way of intrigue and innuendo?
Old 07-19-12, 10:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Good read. Thanks for posting and that pretty much sums it up
Old 07-19-12, 10:41 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Good read.
Old 07-19-12, 11:03 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb FYI for All...

AFAIK... Yeah I guess I agree that GLOBALLY they are SOLD OUT..!!!

However, out of the 171 USA allocations... They are mostly SOLD OUT..
If anything they are a few allocations available, but in "Single Digits" by now..

Lexus LFA Almost Sold Out
  • Two years since its launch, the Lexus LFA is in the final months of its 500-unit production run, and remaining inventory “is down to single digits”, according to Tim Morrison, Lexus USA Vice President of Sales.

I would say Tim Morrison's quote from last month should be valid, for the Lexus USA Region..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-19-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 11:21 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

epic article titles

best way to find out the status/inventory of something.... call
Old 07-19-12, 11:30 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get it. The LFAs are all sold as far as Lexus HQ is concerned. They were bought under allocations to the different Lexus distributors i.e. Lexus USA, Canada and Australia etc... So any unsold LFA allocations at the regional level would be effectively owned by that region until the end buyers are found.
Old 07-19-12, 04:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
AFAIK... Yeah I guess I agree that GLOBALLY they are SOLD OUT..!!!

However, out of the 171 USA allocations... They are mostly SOLD OUT..
If anything they are a few allocations available, but in "Single Digits" by now..

Lexus LFA Almost Sold Out
  • Two years since its launch, the Lexus LFA is in the final months of its 500-unit production run, and remaining inventory “is down to single digits”, according to Tim Morrison, Lexus USA Vice President of Sales.

I would say Tim Morrison's quote from last month should be valid, for the Lexus USA Region..

~ Joe Z
^^^^^ this

i agree a lot with this article, but....

i guess one can argue all day long what "sold out" means. if that means allocations? hell yeah it was all done in 2010. but if we are talking about cars actually ordered / promised by customers? i knew handful of people inquiring about the guy and received allocations / order sheets last year. actually, one can still order an lfa now, but yes, the number seems very small (which regardless is still a great achievement)

so sold out? what is sold out?
Old 07-19-12, 04:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I get it. The LFAs are all sold as far as Lexus HQ is concerned. They were bought under allocations to the different Lexus distributors i.e. Lexus USA, Canada and Australia etc... So any unsold LFA allocations at the regional level would be effectively owned by that region until the end buyers are found.
that's pretty much it. the same can be said with a lot of ferrari and lamborghini in past history as well. on quite a few models, they were labeled as sold out before the cars were released. well yes, all of them were allocated. it's pretty much the same case as 171 lfa "sold" to USA.

within the exotic circle, a lot of them actually know "sold out" often times don't mean much, because soon it became a searching and bidding game about where you can find the car. they never consider the car as "sold out" unless you can't get the car anymore. it's just part of the process. again that's just the same for lfa.

i personally am eagerly waiting for the day when one cannot even order an lfa anymore, and all the "new" lfa on the market are sold.

that, is a big day
Old 07-19-12, 09:51 PM
LexFather

TTAC just did the most extensive review of the LFA. But we know more than they do. Even they said Lexus is mum on eBay cars but the LFA sales are no different then what happens to any very limited edition exotic.

It's not like cars are not being built or sold.

Again it's amazing Lexus sold 1 $375,000 LFA. It's mind boggling.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-19-12 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 10:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

In general, 3 years have passed, but seriously the passionate, biased hatred for this car never ceases to amaze me to this day. It is simply something that defies rational logic.

When you see comments like "Lexus priced LFA out of the market. LFA should not have been priced at more than $100,000", you have to wonder why so much biased, passionate hatred exists for this car where it is held under a complete standard than any other exotic on the planet.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
TTAC just did the most extensive review of the LFA. But we know more than they do. Even they said Lexus is mum on eBay cars but the LFA sales are no different then what happens to any very limited edition exotic.

It's not like cars are not being built or sold.

Again it's amazing Lexus sold 1 $375,000 LFA. It's mind boggling.
Old 07-19-12, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Wink

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
In general, 3 years have passed, but seriously the passionate, biased hatred for this car never ceases to amaze me to this day. It is simply something that defies rational logic.

When see all over the place saying LFA should not have been priced at more than $100,000, you have to wonder why so much passionate hatred exists for this car where it is held under a complete standard than any other exotic on the planet.
Yup.

Just because people can figure out how to join a car forum does NOT automatically mean they are an enthusiast.
Old 07-19-12, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

like wise, writing one of the best article on lfa doesn't make everything they say correct.

i don't know who you, 1sick and 05rolla, are referring to, but to me every brand has just as many haters and trolls, so get used to it already. i see that on bmw or mb board every single day. you obviously didn't pay enough attention to how much doubts people put on the porsche gt in the very beginning, and then how people bash the mb slr left and right as a wtf car. and yes, those brands have huge history and heritage on performance sport cars already before they released those cars. in the end, years after, those cars blend in very well and are accepted among the group. TIME, TIME, and TIME.

lexus lfa is a huge step for lexus and we all applaud lexus for that, but we all talked about what kind of uphill fight it's going to be way before the car was even released, so i don't know what's so amazing about it like it's so unexpected.

i like the lfa a lot, heck i drove one myself (vs most people who haven't, but i don't brag about that) and i know it first hand. but that doesn't give any excuses if the car is seeing a tough market and is having trouble selling. it's very much reality and a healthy normal talk. it becomes true bias if one just focus on the goods on a brand / car and diminish the rest, they are all just as important.
Old 07-20-12, 07:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
like wise, writing one of the best article on lfa doesn't make everything they say correct.

i don't know who you, 1sick and 05rolla, are referring to, but to me every brand has just as many haters and trolls, so get used to it already. i see that on bmw or mb board every single day. you obviously didn't pay enough attention to how much doubts people put on the porsche gt in the very beginning, and then how people bash the mb slr left and right as a wtf car. and yes, those brands have huge history and heritage on performance sport cars already before they released those cars. in the end, years after, those cars blend in very well and are accepted among the group. TIME, TIME, and TIME.

lexus lfa is a huge step for lexus and we all applaud lexus for that, but we all talked about what kind of uphill fight it's going to be way before the car was even released, so i don't know what's so amazing about it like it's so unexpected.

i like the lfa a lot, heck i drove one myself (vs most people who haven't, but i don't brag about that) and i know it first hand. but that doesn't give any excuses if the car is seeing a tough market and is having trouble selling. it's very much reality and a healthy normal talk. it becomes true bias if one just focus on the goods on a brand / car and diminish the rest, they are all just as important.
No one was aiming any post to you. The TTAC is known for being brutally honest and they have beat up Lexus in the past. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't continue that theme on this new article on the LFA. Its great to actually see someone take up for Lexus for a change instead of bashing it. To me it was a fantastic read.

One cannot compare the hate and trolling Lexus gets compared to other brands. Lexus trolling is legendary from the ES to the LFA. I know all about other forums, it's not close at all. Mention Lexus and asshattery goes to levels only known at universal levels.

Very true it wasn't going to be a smooth ride but the LFA really shows who true enthusiasts are. Its a very technical car so most don't really read about it and even less experienced it. We are lucky to have experienced it. So to see commentary on Price and sales and "its not worth it" and "omg its slow" when it is pretty much the fastest car at the Ring is hilarious. One by one people got quiet as the reviews rolled in that this car was incredible and an all time great. The LFA beating the GTO in EVO of all magazines was a slap to people all around. It was unthinkable. Then the LFA was bashed for being slow and "omg 0-60 sucks" and then it runs a 7:14 at the ring and heads explode.

Mind you I and most have said while 375k might be a bargain for what it offers, it is a hard pill to accept and swallow. Standing up for the brand does not make one completely biased whereas not owing the brand does not make people automatically some unbiased expert. Here is my thread explaining how boring Asian brands are compared to German brands

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...?highlight=LFA

Its clearly obvious TTAC has noticed the DUMBASS Lexus trolling all over and stated so and I'm glad they did. Just read some of the ridiculous comments here (just one thread)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lfa...to-come-2.html

Do you and others remember the ridicule and hate it got when it debuted? It was amazing to see! I've never seen another exotic car get so much outlandish hate. Jalopnik had another terrible article on the LFA. My rebuttal was here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lfa...lexus-lfa.html

Its similar to how quiet it is on other forums AND here since the GS is arguably sportiest in class. Notice hardly any trolling. The GS is not mentioned now. People DON'T want to accept and mention the fact that LEXUS has the sportiest car. They hate the FRS/BRZ/GT-86 is getting is also absurd when every single expert on the planet has raved it is one of the best cars EVER produced already. However when Lexus made less sporty cars, OMG, people throw them under the bus.

To see Lexus and Toyota make people eat crow is hilarious. And mind you this isn't saying Lexus is the best at all.
Old 07-20-12, 12:26 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i guess one can argue all day long what "sold out" means.
That's the issue. As 07grIS350 points out, Lexus HQ saying this could just mean that all the allocations have already been granted to their respective distribution channels.

Porsche also said the GT3 RS 4.0 was "sold out", but all they meant was something similar - basically, that all the units were had their distribution fixed (meaning that it included allocations tor a dealer for resale). To this day there are still plenty of GT3 RS 4.0 on dealer lots.

As far as whether the LFA was truly "sold out" in the US, I have posted previously that I was offered a shot at a Nürburgring package late last year and was told again earlier this year that there were a handful of build slots remaining for the US. This is corroborated by the post from Joe Z.
Old 07-20-12, 01:33 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gengar
That's the issue. As 07grIS350 points out, Lexus HQ saying this could just mean that all the allocations have already been granted to their respective distribution channels.

Porsche also said the GT3 RS 4.0 was "sold out", but all they meant was something similar - basically, that all the units were had their distribution fixed (meaning that it included allocations tor a dealer for resale). To this day there are still plenty of GT3 RS 4.0 on dealer lots.

As far as whether the LFA was truly "sold out" in the US, I have posted previously that I was offered a shot at a Nürburgring package late last year and was told again earlier this year that there were a handful of build slots remaining for the US. This is corroborated by the post from Joe Z.
Coming from an LFA owner.... TWO BIG THUMBS UP

If I could, I would have sat down and built one for myself already... Maybe next time around..

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: TTAC-The Last Word On LFA Sales. Or: How To Cure OCD With One Phone Call